• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Big DC Mystery

101 posts in this topic

So can anyone on here find a link to ask some Titans fans ???

I was hoping we'd have solved this mystery alreay.

Hey Ian,

Have you tried a Google search? The one I just did for "Tales Teen Titans Annual 5" came back with 10 pages of hits. Lots of mistaken matches, but this particular URL looks like someone is trying to sell the book (no scan though!)

http://www.cocs.com/comicstu.asp

You might want to drop 'em an email (the addy is on their home page, accessible from the above link).

G'Luck!

Z.

Doug Sulipa found me three from 1982 but only one of them actually bore the words DC Comics inside.

Are the rest still DCs without being named, or are they simply not ????

I have these two from 1982: "The Menace of Trap Jaw", and "He-Man Meets Ram-Man". Both have the DC copyright on the bottom of the inside front cover. Without having the others it's hard to say they, in fact, are DC's. Overstreet lists them as such so it wouldn't hurt to have them just to be on the safe side.

The one booklet I have from 1983, "He-Man and the Insect People" looks the same as the 1982s but there is no mention of DC.

The one booklet I have from 1981, "The Vengence of Skeletor" is not comics per se but more of an illustrated story. There are 4 in this series and no mention of DC.

...on the Mile High site, but there is no scan of either of them.

But it says they exist.

I'm a little late replying here, but it should be noted that

a listing on Mile High without a scan does not mean anything.

I can give you several examples of books listed on Mile High

that don't exist. (Not surprisingly, there's no picture and they're always sold out.)

I hope you find the answers you're looking for...

but Mile High isn't really a good reference for these types of questions.

I now need to compile exactly WHICH seven Masters Of The Universe promo comics from 1982 actually ARE DC.

Anyone got any more titles ???

As for Mile High, you're probably right, as they listed seven Modesty Blaise issues as being DCs, and there appear to have been only one.

Can someone check the Standard Catalog for TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS Annual number 5 & DRAGONLANCE Annual number 1?

Dragonlance Ann1: Jun 1990- $2.95 cover price, CapCity Orders 9,900

Tales of the Teen Titans Ann5: CapCity Orders 5,950

Thankyou for the link.

The link doesn't actually tell you what the catalogue does. Does it list every comic released since 1961 ??? Does that include giveaways and promos too ???

The facts someone quoted earlier suggest they give initial orders. Are those figures for Tales Of The Teen Titans Annual 5, and Dragonlance Annual 1, actual sales or advance orders ??? If so, maybe the comics were both scheduled and then cancelled. Or had a limited release like Hawkman 33 in the 1990s.

The mystery is still not solved.......

Does it list every comic released since 1961 ??? Does that include giveaways and promos too ???

The facts someone quoted earlier suggest they give initial orders. Are those figures for Tales Of The Teen Titans Annual 5, and Dragonlance Annual 1, actual sales or advance orders ??? If so, maybe the comics were both scheduled and then cancelled. Or had a limited release like Hawkman 33 in the 1990s.

The catalog is thorough, and massive; the 2nd edition is about 1450 pages long, and it's basically a checklist whose key feature is circulation numbers. It doesn't feature EVERY comic since 1961, but it has 155,000 comics listed. It doesn't feature promos, and lots of times it doesn't include reprints or multiple prints, or variants.

The main problem with the catalog is that it (for the most part) only features direct-market pre-order numbers. Since most comics before 1990 were sold in drug stores or grocery stores or newsstands, the numbers usually only represent a small fraction of the number of issues actually produced or sold. (Although with more recent comics they've been able to get final order numbers from Diamond, which is especially helpful since the majority of comics sold now are sold through direct markets.) So the numbers indicated above mean that the comics were slated for release at some point but that maybe they didn't come out; of course the information could always be erroneous; but the listing of circulation makes the Overstreet Fabrication Theory look less likely.

Thankyou to Elephant.

Now if we could JUST find someone who's actually SEEN either comic.........

Last year I bought a collection of what is supposed to have been every titans title from 1980 and up.It DIDNOT contain ann. 5 if that is any help.