• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Big DC Mystery

101 posts in this topic

The mystery of whether TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS Annual number 5, DRAGONLANCE Annual number 1, and the seven DC promotional issues of Masters Of The Universe, actually DO exist.

Both the Teen Titans Annual and the Dragonlance Annual ARE indeed on the Mile High site, but there is no scan of either of them.

But it says they exist.

An Australian site lists the Teen Titans Annual as being in stock.

Paul Sassienie of Comic Biz has a date listed when they actually sold a Dragonlance annual.

Has anyone ever actually SEEN either comic ???

And as for the Masters Of The Universe seven issue series, there are TONS of promo mini comics in existence of the Masters Of The Universe, but I've yet to see ONE that's DC.

Come on experts .......

SOMEONE must know !!!!!!

PLEASE ????????

Ian Levine

Yesterday, I also checked Mile High Comics for the Teen Titans Annual #5 and also saw the listing as you did. What concerns me is the fact they DIDN'T have a photo for it (or any copies for sale). It's a new enough book that they should have a photo at least. It's enough to perpetuate the mystery of it's existance for me.

As for Masters of the Universe - I have a bunch of promos myself but they are all about 1/2 size. I can't get to them easily to see if they have DC anywhere on them. Overstreet doesn't indicate wether they are full size or not. Do you know?

How do I contact him ???? Is he on here ???

I am determined to get to the bottom of this mystery.

It's a bit like the Hawkman 33.

For ages I was told it didn't exist, even though it was listed in Overstreet. That the nineties series ended at 32. Every UK dealer only had numbers 1 to 32, and it appeared to have never ever been sold to any comic shop in the UK. None of the US delaers had one either, so I removed it from my wants list and assumed it didn't exist and never got printed, even though number 32 said the story was part two of three.

Then six months later, lo and behold, it turned up on Mile High.

And Hawkman 33 is FAR rarer than anyone realises.

Yes we all assumed it didn't exist.

The Teen Titans and Dragonlance Annuals could be EXACTLY the same story. I mean WHY is the Hawkman 33 so scarce ??? WHY do no collectors have it ???

You can NEVER make an assumption about DCs.

my hunch is the intital 7 issues that came with the action figures were done by DC, those are the ones with art by alfredo alcala, and have a heavier feel to them. Those were the 1st booklets that came out with the initial figures. As the line progressed the license with dc probably expired & the later comics were made elsewhere. I wish i had one still, i can almost see the copyright line being a DC mark. Hopefully someone here will look at one.

I have 20 or so of these, and here's what I've found:

1. The issues 'The Terror of Tri-Klops,' 'He-Man Meets Ram-Man,' 'The Menace of Trap Jaw,' and 'The Ordeal of Man-E-Faces' are the only ones that have anything about DC comics on the copyright line: "All character and place names are Trademarks of Mattel, Inc. Copyright DC Comics Inc. 1982. All Rights Reserved.

On all three issues the writer is Gary Cohn and the penciller is Mark Texeira, inks by Tod Smith and colors by Anthony Tollin.

'The Menace of Trap Jaw' has no artist credits.

There is a variant with the 'Ram-Man' and 'Man-E-Faces' issues: one version has a thicker cover and slicker paper on the interior.

2. 'The Power of Point Dread' and 'The Magic Stealer' are done by the same lineup, but there is nothing about DC in the copyright line.

3. 'He-Man and the Insect People' has a cover and interior art by Alfredo Alcala (written by Michael Halperin), but again no reference to DC in the copyright line.

This help?

We've now ascertained that the Masters Of The Universe DC promos do exist, but we're no nearer the information about the Teen Titans and the Dragonlance Annuals.

Can anyone actually ask DC direct ????????

Rather than asking DC, you might try to find a Titans fan hangout, website or message board and ask there. If you want to ask DC, you'd probably have to find the editor, writer or artist involved in the project. Or you could ask Bob Rozakis, as his knowledge of all things DC is incredible.

I say to ask the fans first because I know that that's what DC does when they have a question. I used to be one of their Wonder Woman experts, and DC would call or write to me when they had questions about the character. The guys at DC are focused on new issues. It's the fans that obsess about back issues, so they're your best bet.

-- Joanna

Yes I'm here smile.gif, pretty frequently actually.

On this matter however, I doubt I could offer much in the way of answers. I'm not personally familiar with the issues in question and am not privy to the legendary "traps" that Bob may have set years ago for copyright violators. And if I asked, do you think he would tell me? smile.gif

Arnold T. (the T is a middle initial, sorry I put it in the nickname in the first place...)

I was able to get to my Masters of the Universe promos and will confirm what a previous poster said. I have these from 1981, 1982 and 1983. Only the 1982 promos have "Copyright DC Comics, Inc. 1982. All Rights Reserved." Glad to help. smile.gif