• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Big DC Mystery

101 posts in this topic

I'm enjoying following your progress and think you should keep posting. The enthusiasum you bring is what collecting is all about and reminds me of the excitement I used to feel back when I was actively filling in my wantlist.

Thankyou.

But we should indeed keep the postings about my filling the gaps in my collection down to the one thread "189 DCs To Go".

This here thread we're on now is the thread about the mystrious DCs which are supposed to exist but no-one's seen.

I'd also like to thank Ian for all the enthusiastic posts. I come here

to learn about early comics (especially DCs) and it is great to see

real experts join in. The ability of these boards to attract "whales"

like Ian, Timely, RareHighGrade, Metropolisent, ZillaToy (and several

others already) is critical for their future afaiac. So, a warm welcome

to Ian from me.

Impossible. You should see some of the [!@#%^&^] that gets posted here sometimes. This is the best thread in ages

Well as the majority of the postings seem to be favourable, I shall carry on.

As I said earlier, the sheer amount of help in the last week, which has not only been supportive but has actually led to copies being traced for the collection, proves beyond any shadow of a doubt how amazingly effective this forum is, and I'm busy telling all the Paul Sassienies and Paul Gambaccinis of this world how they should join it.

Paul Gambaccini and Stacy Rowe actually came round yesterday to see the collection, and Andy from Goldust Comics is coming tomorrow.

The worrying factor being that I've now got it all arranged SO neatly, that I hate disturbing it !!!!!!

I may have been a little mischievous on some of the other threads regarding your crusade, Ian, but in your defence this is a unique, not to mention incredible venture.

With so few books left to go, we've got to be there when you cross the finishing line. To be honest when I first heard about your goal to amass a copy of every DC comic ever printed, I thought the whole enterprise seemed a little self-defeating.

Logistically, how the frig did you manage to compile a list that even the most dedicated National employee or acolyte would have trouble assembling? Every DC ever? Baffling. And like the British Library (which allegedly has a copy of every book commercially published in history), you've got to keep buying every DC, each week, as it hits the stands, to maintain your position as curator of DC Comics Inc. I suggest a cut-off point!

To be honest I never assumed that there were many people more obsessed than myself, but you, Ian, take the biscuit. And that's meant the right way. You need those blinkers on the home stretch, and you've brought something to the party. Keep going, mate.

Where's the phone number for the Guinness Book of Records? flamed.gifpopcorn.gif

I understand your viewpoint but do keep in mind that it's a pretty impressive feat we are talking about - this isn't like someone finally completing their power pack set grin.gif or something equally banal. This is a FULL set of DC - my god. shocked.gif Is there a tougher single publisher set out there? I shouldn't think so. Marvel/atlas/timely would be a picnic by comparison, in my opinion.

To me, this is a most welcome respite from the Hulk 181 and market crash threads, and a genuinely interesting topic. Give it a chance. smile.gif

I agree. This is something special. He has amassed a collection of some 30,000 individual copies from a single publisher. If I can help him complete his collection and fulfill a quest that has taken some 30 odd years to complete, I'm more than happy to participate.

There's also the idea of one day digitally archiving every single comic ever produced. As he is amassing generally low grade readers, they wouldn't be necessarily more damaged by scanning or photographing. He's in a pretty unique position of leaving a lasting legacy to the comic collecting world... not just with the covers, but with the interiors as well (with DC's permission or stewardship, of course!)

Exactly. DC could finally do a Gerber photojournal of all those covers from 1962 on that many have never seen. Prices on certain books would skyrocket because of their covers. Nah, DC would never let it happen. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

This begs the question, does DC have a file copy of everything they've ever published? They certainly don't have much original art.

This begs the question, does DC have a file copy of everything they've ever published? They certainly don't have much original art.

According to Paul Levitz, they most certainly don't.

And as there is no one source with a list of every DC, compiling a collection becomes even harder.

I'm pretty sure there is no DC I don't know about unless it's some obscure giveaway.

As for a cut off point - NO WAY.

The collection has to be kept up to date all the time, or it's worthless (morally rather than financially).

Having a cut off point would defeat the object.

Plus adding to it keeps the excitement level up, even when the collection is completed. For example, there's now a Bionicle 15. I thought I had them all when I got to 12. But as they're not distributed or easily available, there will ALWAYS be some sort of challenge.

[ Exactly. DC could finally do a Gerber photojournal of all those covers from 1962 on that many have never seen. Prices on certain books would skyrocket because of their covers. Nah, DC would never let it happen.

But the Gerber guides are so incomplete. There are loads of Golden Age titles where they only show a token few issues - All Funny, Funny Stuff, Funny Folks, Mutt And Jeff, and loads more. Imagine a huge book which pictured ALL THIRTY THOUSAND DC covers for posterity.

A collectors dream.

According to Paul Levitz, they most certainly don't.

And as there is no one source with a list of every DC, compiling a collection becomes even harder.

I'm pretty sure there is no DC I don't know about unless it's some obscure giveaway.

As for a cut off point - NO WAY.

The collection has to be kept up to date all the time, or it's worthless (morally rather than financially).

Having a cut off point would defeat the object.

Plus adding to it keeps the excitement level up, even when the collection is completed. For example, there's now a Bionicle 15. I thought I had them all when I got to 12. But as they're not distributed or easily available, there will ALWAYS be some sort of challenge.

Now that's dedication.

Thought I'd mention one other thing I've just noticed about the Masters of the Universe comics: I mentioned in an earlier post that of the four DC issues I have, two have variant covers (same art, but printed on thicker paper). Excepting the cover thicknesses, these are the same as the other edition, but the inside back cover's ad is different: the Mattel Hot Wheels ads have been replaced by DC subscription ads with Superman.

Not sure what this means, if anything, but thought I'd put it out there for completists or any increasingly-befuddled folks that might be interested.

First thing I should point out, is that there are comics listed in the Overstreet Guide that do no exist. I can point to a few Valiant Comics in the Overstreet Guide that are confirmed to not have existed. So if these two annuals did not exist it would not surprise me.

Second, I do recall seeing Annuals for the TSR DC Comics but I can't remember if I saw one for Dragonlance at the local comic shop. But hey, what can I say? It's been a long time since then.

thumbsup2.gif

Plus, I've yet to ascertain how complete Christine Farrell's collection actually is, but I believe I'm the first person to ever do this properly, from New Fun 1 right up to this week's (New Adventures Of) Superman 622.

Have you picked up Bionicles #15 yet? smile.gif My kids got theirs in the mail on Saturday with the latest Lego catalog.

For example, there's now a Bionicle 15. I thought I had them all when I got to 12. But as they're not distributed or easily available, there will ALWAYS be some sort of challenge.

I swear, I did NOT read ahead and see this mention of Bionicle #15 before I posted asking about that!!!!! Sheer coincidence!

And they are distributed regularly -- they are bundled WITH the Lego catalogs. You can get them by signing up with Lego on their regular mailing list. It's free when you send in a coupon from inside a Lego package if you find it there. Or I think you can pay maybe 10 dollars a year to get the subscription. You are closer to the home of Legos than I am, so I'd hope you could get them pretty easily!

Plus, I've yet to ascertain how complete Christine Farrell's collection actually is, but I believe I'm the first person to ever do this properly, from New Fun 1 right up to this week's (New Adventures Of) Superman 622.

I see Christine at shows buying new comics to fill in runs of current comics, so Im pretty sure she's continnuing as you are. But, she also says soem of what she buys is inventory for her store, so.. Then again, owning a store is a surefire way to "buy" one of EVERY new DC..

And, Ian has come on here with 250 to go (now down to 189 and counting) and has earned the praises of many of you, desrvedly so for his Quixotic but attainable quest. But I think Christine deserves a shout out too. Her count is under 10 to go!! Right, Ian?? Or does she start with Action 1 and ignore the Pre-hero DCs???

And, Ian has come on here with 250 to go (now down to 189 and counting) and has earned the praises of many of you, desrvedly so for his Quixotic but attainable quest. But I think Christine deserves a shout out too. Her count is under 10 to go!! Right, Ian?? Or does she start with Action 1 and ignore the Pre-hero DCs???

I don't know. I'd like to get in touch with her. Joe Verenault says her collection isn't organised. I got the impression she just went for runs of the bigger titles. I know for a fact that she hasn't got the Fat And Slat Joke Book, the Big Book Of Fun Comics, It's Gametine 1-4, Teen Beat/Teen Beam, and a few others.

Ian

Just to add my 2penneth - I'd concur with the majority of responses - this is without a doubt one of the most interesting posts I've ever seen on these boards. I feel I'm involved in your quest (as chief UK lurker) so I'm really enjoying the regular updates. Keep them coming!

I think the most interesting aspect of collecting - is just that: the process of collection.

Somewhat less impressive, I'm currently trying to assemble a run of all the Charlton titles published in the 80s - not expensive, or heavily sought by any means - but the very low print runs make them really difficult to find. But it's fun finding them!

p.s. was reading an old issue of CBM - saw a mention of the "Mystery Trail" ash can - have you got that? (Apparently, it has the same cover as Danger Trail 3).

cheers

Ewan

After all this time, there is still no proof either way as to whether "Tales Of The Teen Titans Annual Number 5", and "Dragonlance Annual Number 1" actually exist.

If they didn't, then why are they listed with actual sales figures in the Standard Comic Guide as well as Overstreet ???

If they did, then why has no-one seen them ???

Shall I take them off my wants list (thereby reducing it to 157) or leave them on ?????

I need input here.