• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Looking for employment advice

46 posts in this topic

Man I am glad this country wasn't founded or currently runs on the philosophies here. Imagine all the jobs that no one would want to do but need to be done :).

Seriously, I personally don't have the best job, the most satisfying job, the highest paying job, etc. but you know what, it pays the darn bills (well usually). I am NOT at ease in my job and would prefer to be a supervisor/manager with the next higher level of pay, responsibility, and stress.

And neither does my wife, especially when she came home from the hospital at 2230 last night after having gone in for 8 hours at 8 am. But she IS a manager and had issues to take care of.

We would both like to retire right now (as many of my state counterparts have) and be able to leisurely look for work. Not gonna happen. We work to pay for our bills and to be able to afford our children and all the trappings that go with that.

I hear so many times that young people today (and I am only early 40's) don't want to work and I see alot of 20 somethings here locally that don't care to have jobs or change jobs at the drop of a hat without security and then live on unemployment or at the parents for whatever reason and want to play online stuff all day. Gee how do I get that job.

Man I am glad this country wasn't founded or currently runs on the philosophies here. Imagine all the jobs that no one would want to do but need to be done :).

Seriously, I personally don't have the best job, the most satisfying job, the highest paying job, etc. but you know what, it pays the darn bills (well usually). I am NOT at ease in my job and would prefer to be a supervisor/manager with the next higher level of pay, responsibility, and stress.

And neither does my wife, especially when she came home from the hospital at 2230 last night after having gone in for 8 hours at 8 am. But she IS a manager and had issues to take care of.

We would both like to retire right now (as many of my state counterparts have) and be able to leisurely look for work. Not gonna happen. We work to pay for our bills and to be able to afford our children and all the trappings that go with that.

I hear so many times that young people today (and I am only early 40's) don't want to work and I see alot of 20 somethings here locally that don't care to have jobs or change jobs at the drop of a hat without security and then live on unemployment or at the parents for whatever reason and want to play online stuff all day. Gee how do I get that job.

that sounds like preaching

you are way too happy

I'm actually quite a miserable person. I've been on both sides enought times to know that it is a rare person that is actually happy no matter what they have or are.

(shrug)

Edited to add that if you are passionate and good at what you do the money will follow.

A lot of people I know have a way of pretending they are happy and that life is good, so they can be perceived as winner in life. With them, it's all about appearances. The less selfish one is the happier they will be, Not everyone can find fulfillment in their work, so they might want to look into helping others.

that sounds like preaching

are you the choir?