• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is it that WBN 32 is such a key ish?

56 posts in this topic

Welcome currin...

I think MK was also in WW 37.

Its a still a sought after key for a couple of reasons that have popped up here before in this other Werewolf 32 thread

1. Back in the day, when MoonKnight was at his most popular, WW32 was a relatively hot book. It was on par with DD158, Thor 337, etc. I remember them all being hot roughly around the same time... at least where I was. So, like many who collected back then, we are re-living the "key hunts" of yesteryear again. I had to reacquire a Thor 337 too.

2. Supply in HG has yet to catch up with current demand, making it seem like a bigger key now than it would be otherwise on merit. I've been searching for a 9.6 or better for 3 years. I saw a couple on Ebay around 2- 2.5 years ago (and think it may have been the same copy listed 2-3X). Since then, I only came across one other 9.6 less than a year ago... an angled miswrap copy i passed on. Maybe its not being graded in big numbers and is still a bit under the radar as a lucrative submission. Either way, I'd sure wish more would be submitted... I'd like to finally upgrade my 9.4.

3. Cool/memorable cover... if it sucked, maybe we're not having this conversation... in 2003 anyway.

No, not selling yet, many years away from selling off any of the collection.

BB13 - do you think the amount of HG submissions directly relates to whether an issue is noted for being a key issue? Maybe I misread your post.

Moon Knight is one of those minor characters that have had thier own title, and have appeared in other titles. I would equate him with characters like Deathlok, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Silver Surfer, etc.

I take it your the resident "village insufficiently_thoughtful_person"? No matter what MB one goes to, there is always a jerk to be found.

Frankly, there are about 5-10 village insufficiently_thoughtful_persons roaming around here at any given moment. I despise their very presence. mad.gif

You must have FF 48 and SS 1-4, if you do(i do)in your collection. Collectors I know (local and out of state) are always trying to get me to pony up my SS#4. The black cover and the rainbow bridge to Asgard-classis ish and cover! Yes, I would say the Surfer is on higher ground than those mentioned above, although I am not willing to part from my very sweet-Luke Cage-Hero for Hire #1 yet.

No... probably didn't get that across clearly. I'm saying it is a key, and was at one time IMO even more of one due to Moon Knights popularity. He was a little bit better than a minor character at his hottest.

Even 3 years into CGC, supply in HG has been very limited and that "adds to its desirability" as those like myself want to re-aquire the cool cover keys of yesteryear... and we can't find it yet. That is probably more of a factor than MK currently being thought of as a character that collectors have to find his 1st app. of. If supply was there, it would not "seem" to be as much of a key as it does now IMHO.

BTW.. Loved Hero for Hire and Deathlok too. Astonishg Tales 25 is a good example. Around 2 years ago, supply in 9.6 was low also. Myself and many bronze collectors I knew had it as a high-priority Bronke Key to re-acquire. It was pretty hot at one time with CGC 9.6 copies going in the high $300's or more. HG supply eventually showed up and now it "seems" less sought after (less of a key) as most have been sated. HFH 1 has also remained in low supply in 9.6. Thank goodness I found one 2 years ago. A few of my friends thought I was nuts to pay $600 for a 9.6 #1 (except our own Musicmeta who bought a better one for more), but I had to have it. That cover/series brings back a lot of memories.

BB13 - do you think the amount of HG submissions directly relates to whether an issue is noted for being a key issue? Maybe I misread your post.

Moon Knight is one of those minor characters that have had thier own title, and have appeared in other titles. I would equate him with characters like Deathlok, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Silver Surfer, etc.

I was torn about the Surfer. My thoughts:

A-List:

Have had several title runs under their own name.

Have had more than one title run at the same time.

Have appeared in several other titles not under thier own name.

Have been featured in a crossover issues.

Have had their own title been reprinted, TPB'd, or Essential'd

While Surfer does fit most of these criteria, and has had an impact on the Marvel Universe, he has not had much success with his own title. By success I mean he has only had one series at any given time, unlike such characters as Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil.

Although many will argue that he should be in the A-List, which he very could be. He would just be at the bottom of the A-List or the top of the B-List. All a matter or perspective and opinion.

I agree with you that with the census, collectors have a better understanding of supply. Although far from perfect it does give an indication of what is out there.

Let me pose this question: Does Overstreet Price Guide determine what issues are key and not the collectors/dealers? By listing an issue by itself with notes and value, does that in turn create a demand for that issue, making it a key issue?

I asked this in another thread, take Defenders #10. Some say this is a key issue, why because Hulk vs. Thor? These two were on the same team, so it wasn't a first time meeting. The battled previously in Journey into Mystery.

Sounds fair enough to me........ flowerred.gif

Do you think Moon Knight will ever take off again, at least to the point where #1 of the first series will be worth more than I paid for it 20 years ago? foreheadslap.gif

I'm sure Darth ,aka:Village insufficiently_thoughtful_person, is hoping this to be true since I think he is sitting on a case or two of Moon Night #1... foreheadslap.gif

I take it your the resident "village insufficiently_thoughtful_person"? No matter what MB one goes to, there is always a jerk to be found.

Yes, he is, but he's our insufficiently_thoughtful_person and we love him. Where is your village? stooges.gif

Frankly, there are about 5-10 village insufficiently_thoughtful_persons roaming around here at any given moment. I despise their very presence. mad.gif

You sir are Village insufficiently_thoughtful_person 3 on the Top Ten list insane.gif

Do you think Moon Knight will ever take off again, at least to the point where #1 of the first series will be worth more than I paid for it 20 years ago? foreheadslap.gif

I'm sure Darth ,aka:Village insufficiently_thoughtful_person, is hoping this to be true since I think he is sitting on a case or two of Moon Night #1... foreheadslap.gif

You sir are now Village insufficiently_thoughtful_person # 4 sumo.gif

and that'd be 3 cases of Moon Knight # 1

Yes, he is, but he's our insufficiently_thoughtful_person and we love him. Where is your village? stooges.gif

You sir are 'OLD' Village insufficiently_thoughtful_person # 5 insane... this has gotten out of hand...where's johnnydouble to lay the smackdown ..oh...he's banned foreheadslap.gif There went Village insufficiently_thoughtful_person # 1. sorry.gif