• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is it that WBN 32 is such a key ish?

56 posts in this topic

Not unless they make a Moon Knight movie, which will increase the value. However unless a Moon Knight movie is done well, the value might drop. This example may be seen with the Punisher movie. If the movie does poorly, will value of his comics go down.

The value of Moon Knight comics may increase,maybe, if they do an Ultimate Moon Knight title.

No, I'm a city insufficiently_thoughtful_person, so where IS you village. Care to continue immature post, go ahead there old fella.

Chill man. Hit the "quote" button on this post and take a look at the name of this emoticon stooges.gif See there? "kidaround". Did you see the name under Darth's picture? Is is it all coming together for you yet? Take your time....... See, the joke is that you called the village insufficiently_thoughtful_person a village insufficiently_thoughtful_person. makepoint.gif

It's ok man, you'll fit right in with all the other gypsies, tramps and reprobates. thumbsup2.gif

Here's your answer. WBN 32 - first appearance of Moon Knight. At the time, Moon Knight was a hot character and in demand. Some Marvel Bronze Age completists are now going back and finding their pristine high grade copies of which there practically shouldn't be since we all grew up reading this stuff and beating the copies to heck. Now why not the first app of Topaz? well..although she is KEY to the storyline (and storyline only) of WBN, she has not had much demand to have her own series, mini series, or appearances outside her initial title? Was there a Marvel Team Up with Spider-Man and Topaz...I think not...but there was a team up with Spidey and Moon Knight...

What makes WBN 32 key:

1) BRonze Age completists want it

2) Modern speculators want it to sell to Bronze Age completists

3) it is fairly easy to come across in lower grades therefore making the premium on high grades worth chasing after.

4) It is the first appearance of a current (at the time) highly influential character with crossover appeal and made apps in many titles, much like how Punisher, Wolverine and Venom were "played out" in the 90s.

Why isn't is as hot as first app Blade - TOD 10; no Moon Knight movies to date and TOD 10 is actually harder to find in high grade as WBN32. Don't rely on the CGC census...it means nothing where those two are concerned. More TOD 10s will be submitted because the premium for those in high grade is higher than WBN32.

How's that for the Village insufficiently_thoughtful_person smirk.gifsmirk.gifforeheadslap.gif

I agree with you that with the census, collectors have a better understanding of supply. Although far from perfect it does give an indication of what is out there.

Sometimes its not what the census indicates, but how many actually have been available in the marketplace... sometimes there is a false perception. There are some books that seem to be in higher supply because many the same copies have been traded numerous times. Then there are others that have decent census numbers but never surface for sale. Defenders #1 in 9.6 was like that for the longest time with decent census numbers in 9.6. BUT only 2 in 9.6 on Ebay for 2.5 years (although there were several on websites).. then boom several shake out and more are graded too and a book that seemd to be HTF in 9.6 very quickly seems the opposite.

Let me pose this question: Does Overstreet Price Guide determine what issues are key and not the collectors/dealers? By listing an issue by itself with notes and value, does that in turn create a demand for that issue, making it a key issue?

That can absolutely have an impact on some, myself included... but there has to be some substance to it. We assume that newer identifed keys have been singled out due to demand/market performance. Take a look at Tomb of Dracula.. Blade appearances. If memory serves, some issues (12, 13, 17, 19, 24) were not singled out in the previous edition, but now are "newly identified Blade keys". I'm sure more than a few that only considered #10 the book to get, now have targeted 12, 13 and maybe the others as books needed to comeplete the Blade key run.

I asked this in another thread, take Defenders #10. Some say this is a key issue, why because Hulk vs. Thor? These two were on the same team, so it wasn't a first time meeting. The battled previously in Journey into Mystery.

As a lad, for me it was the incredible cover that seemed to be a "fight for the ages". I barely remember the insides except that Hulk was trying to pick up Thor's hammer (could that be!). The cover simply burned itsef into my mind for the 5 minutes I stared at it saying WOW! in my head over and over. 27_laughing.gif

Thank you, that was what I was after, and very solid points on the subject..ya know..your pretty bright for a VI-Peace and happy hunting! 893applaud-thumb.gif

if the Village insufficiently_thoughtful_person can post like that, just wait until the town Drunk and midnight toking hippie come along...

Thank you, that was what I was after, and very solid points on the subject..ya know..your pretty bright for a VI-Peace and happy hunting! 893applaud-thumb.gif

if the Village insufficiently_thoughtful_person can post like that, just wait until the town Drunk and midnight toking hippie come along...

Joe Collector?

Now, don't get me wrong, Werewolf by Night is my favorite horror genre comic, and one of my favorites period(especially the Ploog art), but how has this issue gotten so popular? I can understand TOD 10 w/ Blade, but MoonKnight, is it simply because of the TOD 10 popularity creeped over into WBN. In other words, why isn't Topaz's first app. not more treasured, she was a much bigger charecter that MK? confused-smiley-013.gif

Because Overstreet said so! hi.gif

All I know is that MK Vol. 1 are some of the best comics I've ever read. I have all 38 issues and WBN#32 graded 9.4 oww which I would love to upgrade to a 9.6. I really like Bill Sienkiewicz's art in the MK issues. Heck, I just love all those monster/vampire titles like TOD, WBN, MOFrankenstein, Supernatural Thrillers-Mummy and many more. TOD#10 is just red smoking hot due to the movies.

I like HFH as well and so happy to get the first 3 issues all in 9.6 white. Anybody got a #4 in 9.6 white for sale?

I never thought that WBN#32 would be rising in value like it has in just the past year. I always thought it only appealed to just a small segment of people. I guess not. More folks like this book than I thought.

Were missing the point here, I DO think it is a BA key, my real question is-WHY? Topaz had a more direct link to the comic as did Blade in TOD 10. I love WBN 32, but why do we love it and want it in our collections-what makes it a key other than 1st app. and origin?, or is that enough-just a question-not an argument.

Maybe because many people remember the Moon Knight series that had some sucess from the 80's and early 90's. His series lasted longer than many Marvel titles often do. And Topaz never had a series and when you say that person's name every one just confused-smiley-013.gif. Blade never even had a series that ran as long as one of Moon Knight's but TOD 10 has taken off in the past few years from Blade being thrust in the spot light from the movies. Also people realized he was a pretty cool character who didn't appear in too many books.