• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

American Flagg HC... FINALLY!

15 posts in this topic

Did anyone else get this? I ordered it when it was first announced for freaking ever ago... finally showed up at my door today. I got the signed edition, and everything looks great. I'm saving the re-reading for tonight before bedtime, but boy howdy, I'm stoked to read this again... and a new Flagg story too! Very cool :)

American Flagg

Jon Sable

Badger

Nexus

some great reads if none has evr tried them.

Did not know about the FLAGG HC or it being Signed.

I may have to get that

How big is it? IIRC, the original solicitation was for #1-12, but if they made it an omnibus with the 24 or 25 Chaykin-drawn issues that's a must have, even though I still have my original copies. Flagg was super-sweet, and so far ahead of its time they could make an HBO series out of it today, taken directly from the comic, without changing a thing, and it'd still be ahead of its time.

Nexus also was very good, awesome at times. I think it really hit its stride around #7, and then up through the thirties it was so much fun and so creative. Something went wrong, at least for me, around #40 and I stopped reading. But I still fear the Black Pencil.

It's actually 1-14 + Hard Times + the new 10-page Chaykin story + an intro by Michael Chabon. I'm off to start reading now. Thank God it's Friday. :)

EDIT: I read some Nexus stuff, but not a lot... the thing I remember most clearly is Magnus/Nexus... none of it really stuck with me that much. Is there a "got-to-have-it" Nexus story that I should be checking out?

It's actually 1-14 + Hard Times + the new 10-page Chaykin story + an intro by Michael Chabon. I'm off to start reading now. Thank God it's Friday. :)

EDIT: I read some Nexus stuff, but not a lot... the thing I remember most clearly is Magnus/Nexus... none of it really stuck with me that much. Is there a "got-to-have-it" Nexus story that I should be checking out?

Baron / Rude Nexus was just always fun reads for me.

Badger is just a NUT JOB

Look forward to picking up my copy this week.

I'll second what CJ said-- AF, NEXUS, JON SABLE, BADGER were all great reads in their prime. And each faded eventually. I think each creator burned out from First's rigid monthly schedule. The monthly schedule is a double-edged sword...on one hand, you keep readers engaged. On the other, you risk burning out your creators. In retrospect, I think Dark Horse's format for HELLBOY (as a series of mini-series) would have worked better for these guys.

It's tough to describe Nexus in terms of a must-read story arc because the whole series, at least the part I read, was very organically grown and character driven. I think my favorite span was the teens through the late twenties, when it felt like they really were clicking on all cylinders. The background of Nexus being a reluctant assassin was new, or felt new to me, at the time. His origin, being given his powers by the mysterious Merk, was a good subplot for the first couple years. The big reveal came in #19, which took me literally years to find. In each issue you could see Baron and Rude having a lot of fun coming up with quirky characters, creative villains, and funky sci-fi tech that rank up along with Ellis and Morrison today. Gotta reread those eventually. Maybe if I can snag the Archives volumes cheaply.

I saw the american flagg book at comic-con but i already have all the comics and these hard covers each signed and numbered limited editions plus a signed poster that i got from Bud Plant years ago.

I`m still kinda thinking about getting it though since its got a new story,but maybe if i wait i can get it cheaper. hm

b77fb6b8.jpg

225ba9ef.jpg

6a7ec0f5.jpg

P1010011.jpg

I saw the american flagg book at comic-con but i already have all the comics and these hard covers each signed and numbered limited editions plus a signed poster that i got from Bud Plant years ago.

I`m still kinda thinking about getting it though since its got a new story,but maybe if i wait i can get it cheaper. hm

My thinking exactly! (thumbs u

Well, that and I'm broke...... :sorry: