• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has New York Surpassed San Diego?

13 posts in this topic

I'm not talking about size... I'm talking about actual, physical comic sales (toys, original art, comic books, trades, etc.,)

I read an article somewhere that San Diego had "jumped the shark" and it was more of a publicity machine than a comic convention now.

If this is true, it's sad... but not really a way around it because of the money generated with all the celebrity and movie studios participation.

I'm just wondering for next year, as I haven't been to either San Diego or New York, which should I choose to go to if I'm looking to make actual comic purchases, find good deals, etc.

Is it a wash? Is New York the place to go?

I appreciate all comments...

I have never been to San Diego and to be honest I don't plan on going. NY, Chicago and Baltimore to me are the best shows for comics. I go to Meg-Con only because I live in Orlando.

If you wish to buy vintage comics, pulps, original art, go to Chicago Wizard World in August, 2009. If you are a hi-roller, and want to spend $100k on original comic art, visit SDCC in July, 2009. If your are a low-roller in OA and want reasonably short line ups for freebie sketches, join NYC Comic-con for their expanding artist and inker list. :blahblah:

San Diego is hilarious - there's more game coverage there than comics.

I was watching various news segments, and ALL of the people involved with the show are shortening the name to "Com-Con" or "Comi-Con" - not one of them said the entire "COMIC" word, and it was obviously on purpose.

Been catching G4 and the hip young kids ?

Hip? Young? That girl looks pregnant (she has terrible posture, a monster butt + horribly pushed up boobs) and the guy is really short and seems to be growing a bad neck-beard.

They look a LOT better in the studio. The girl actually looks very attractive there.

Been catching G4 and the hip young kids ?

Hip? Young? That girl looks pregnant (she has terrible posture, a monster butt + horribly pushed up boobs) and the guy is really short and seems to be growing a bad neck-beard.

They look a LOT better in the studio. The girl actually looks very attractive there.

Does she have sharp knees, too?

I've been going to SDCC since I was in middle school, this is my 10th or so time going.

I've always felt lucky to have such a great event in town, but this time around I feel like it's really hard to enjoy it fully.

A few aisles of older books, a handful of spots for more recent back issues, and a handful of places to get TPBs/hardcovers. Maybe I'm just used to being spoiled in past years' cons, but I'd love to have the event be a place for comic books again.

And the superhero banners and big ads that used to be all over downtown and on the sides of city buses are gone, as noted in another topic, but entire trolley cars have been painted to promote upcoming movies. :sick: