• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Steve Ditko in Hiding???

121 posts in this topic

Taterdemalion , lol cool comment. Man I didnt expect such an outburst for a simple question about Steve. I am not complaining about him as a person directly, only wondering why he stayed out of site. As for someone saying that he is 80 + , well so are Jerry Robinson, Stan lee, and Joe Simon. And I see them at quite a few conventions. Great guys. Never had a problem signing stuff (even with CGC). As for someone saying no one expected any type of fame is untrue. From the 40s comics were a huge success. It brought us movie animations that cost millions (check the Superman animation costs back in 41). The Batman serials. Captain America serial. Superman man tv shows. I could make a pretty good bet that comics were HUGE before even the 60s.

That would be me. :)

All I can say is you probably need to watch the History Channel's documentary on Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked with specific reference to the Golden Age up to the beginnings of the early Silver Age. You'll notice that until Marvel burst onto the scene (early-to-mid sixties), comics were in fact scorned and seen as childish. Stan Lee discusses this, and believe some of the other giants in the industry do as well.

Many of your examples are prime examples of anachronism--taking present truths as valid in times past. While we have since recognized these individuals' efforts and see how they have played through contemporary culture, you'll never see any one of these Classic Creators claim that they KNEW the extent of their efforts. Quite the contrary in fact. Again, I can't recommend that documentary enough--very educational. (thumbs u

marvels exploded in the middle 60s not 70s. I know... I was there

Um... who said anything about 70s? Check my bold-faced quote and you'll see that's what I said. Didn't need to be there to do my research right the first time ;)

There have been plenty of people who had approached him in a very respectful way to get him to come out and appear and do some signings but nothing has happened. I dont know what you mean by saying that my comment is the reason why hes staying in hiding.

But you should also remember to respect his right to privacy. He likely had no idea that being an artist on a comic book would lead him to this kind of infamy. Why should he have the title of "role model" thrust upon him? He clearly wants to be left alone and isn't rocking anyone's boat in the process.

Ditto,

We all would love to spend some time with Steve Ditko and get him to sign a few books etc. But he owes us nothing and I can respect the man's right to privacy. Personaly, I wonder if it's hard for him to relate to the average Spidy fan due to the age difference?

Oh man...Who would have thought a simple question would lead to so much response. good or bad

Hey Yannis -- it may seem like a simple question, but as you can tell it's a topic a lot of people are interested in (myself included). Ditko is an eccentric, brilliant enigma. He lives a life that few people understand. And, unfortunately, few people make any effort to try to understand it.

Doing a little research online about Ditko as well as about Randian objectivism will go a long way to understanding why Ditko doesn't make appearances at comic conventions or why he has little or no interest in Spider-Man. It's far deeper than him feeling like Marvel shafted him or that he's agoraphobic (for the record I don't think he's agoraphobic at all, I just think he's not into making public appearances; there's a big difference). And his other creations like Mr. A are far more important to him as a creator than Spider-Man for a number of reasons, including because Mr. A reflects his philosophical views.

Now, if you're interested in Ditko the creator and artist and person, then get thee to Google and Blake Bell's "Ditko Looked Up" web site, and check out some Objectivist web sites and start learning more about the guy and his belief system. If all you care about it getting a signature by the guy who created Spider-Man, sorry but you're SOL. Ain't gonna happen. (shrug)

I just opened a box containing Blake Bell's brand-spankin' new Ditko book today from Amazon (thanks Santa Robysue! :banana: ). I can't wait to dig into it! :cloud9:

Also, for the record, he's not in hiding. He has an office that's easily found, and (at least until recently) a phone number as well. He's just not a social guy who accepts unannounced visitors, and for him, Spider-Man is, like, sooo last century....

Ditko rocks! :headbang:

Oh man...Who would have thought a simple question would lead to so much response. good or bad 
Hey Yannis -- it may seem like a simple question, but as you can tell it's a topic a lot of people are interested in (myself included). Ditko is an eccentric, brilliant enigma. He lives a life that few people understand. And, unfortunately, few people make any effort to try to understand it. Doing a little research online about Ditko as well as about Randian objectivism will go a long way to understanding why Ditko doesn't make appearances at comic conventions or why he has little or no interest in Spider-Man. It's far deeper than him feeling like Marvel shafted him or that he's agoraphobic (for the record I don't think he's agoraphobic at all, I just think he's not into making public appearances; there's a big difference). And his other creations like Mr. A are far more important to him as a creator than Spider-Man for a number of reasons, including because Mr. A reflects his philosophical views. Now, if you're interested in Ditko the creator and artist and person, then get thee to Google and Blake Bell's "Ditko Looked Up" web site, and check out some Objectivist web sites and start learning more about the guy and his belief system. If all you care about it getting a signature by the guy who created Spider-Man, sorry but you're SOL. Ain't gonna happen. (shrug)I just opened a box containing Blake Bell's brand-spankin' new Ditko book today from Amazon (thanks Santa Robysue! :banana: ). I can't wait to dig into it! :cloud9:Also, for the record, he's not in hiding. He has an office that's easily found, and (at least until recently) a phone number as well. He's just not a social guy who accepts unannounced visitors, and for him, Spider-Man is, like, sooo last century.... Ditko rocks! :headbang: 
Very well said....Ditko has NO interest in resting on his laurels.Most artists eagerly embrace the oppurtunity to illustrate their feelings and beliefs...ASM just evolved into something restrictive to him, so he moved on.One things for sure...he's not a sell out.Most commercial artists are forced by neccessity to appease the client...Ditko preferred to either let his work be his voice or to at least not be a contradiction to it. Few people really have that courage of conviction.GOD BLESS...-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If Ditko had more editorial say in it's production, ASM could have been a blazing passion for Ditko...but he didn't and it wasn't. I would liken it to that reaaly cute girl that we once dated in High School...afte a while we realized that we really had nothing in common except hormones and drifted apart....occasionally recalled but not obsessed over. Ditko's total refusal to involve himself with ASM after so many years speaks volumes about his feelings.That oppurtunity was there.I'm certainly glad for his involvement, brief though it was.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I would probably trade EVERY comic related item I own for the OA ...signed by Ditko, of the splash page to ASM 6.

You really believe that Mr A is more important to him than Spiderman? how can anyone prove that ? Evidence?

You're bringing YOUR point of view to this...not HIS in this case. I remember reading an article when The Creeper came out after he moved over to DC and he said that was the most IMPORTANT thing for him at that time. and that was like 30 years ago, right?

If you want to take from this discussion, that Steve is a contrarian...so be it!

It is interesting to me...the discussion of artist vs man/woman in life...I as an Architect and creative person (and I consider myself an artist) live in an environment that is very competitive, very dynamic, and continually seeking a balance between putting something forth that is culturally/historically and artistically challenging as well as forward-thinking/moving and delivering something the client will "like", "pay for", and "want again" (or at least will re-hire you for the next gig)...

Pablo Picasso was an azz-hole misogynist, adulterer and abusive personality...

Frank Lloyd Wright abandoned his family and most everyone else in his life...

There are many a successful/popular actor/actress that has performed very poorly in personal/real life but has received numerous accolades for their creative work...

Not to compare Steve on the behaviour side to Picasso or Wright, but I hope you get my point...at times it is very difficult to reconcile our personal hopes and aspirations as to how they should behave and how they behave...

Along the lines of Picasso and Wright, in many circles, my former partner of 25 years is considered quite respectable (and has a Fellowship in Architecture) and I can guarantee you, he is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, A-HOLES I have ever endured in my life! :insane:

Architecture is what I should have pursued...I am an artist also.I attended the Kubert school, did a few mediocre independent comics, and became a graphic artist for about 15 years. I did mostly signs,boat lettering,logo design,and wall murals.I also love to paint semi abstract/surreal biblical paintings that no one but me seems to care for lol .I can speak from experience that there is nothing fulfilling in producing work your heart is not into for a paycheck.I would always provide a client with several choices and 9 times out of 10 they would choose the weakest and most boring concept in the bunch.I was never self motivated enough to make it and now work in a plastic factory with a lot of really neat people.An architect is DEFINITELY an artist and you certainly would understand my analogy.You're cool Mr. Moore and I'm glad to have met you.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You really believe that Mr A is more important to him than Spiderman? how can anyone prove that ? Evidence?

You're bringing YOUR point of view to this...not HIS in this case. I remember reading an article when The Creeper came out after he moved over to DC and he said that was the most IMPORTANT thing for him at that time. and that was like 30 years ago, right?

If you want to take from this discussion, that Steve is a contrarian...so be it!

It's interesting you should bring that up.

Chester Gould was like that. If you asked him what was his favorite villain, or storyline.. He always replied "the one I'm working on right now". As a matter of fact, that is what almost any artist will tell you in almost any field including fine artists"

But what it really gets down to overall is really this:

before 1960, very very few people said "I want to become a comic artist". It was really just one more way of making a living for trained or untrained artists looking to put food on the table. you were an illustrator and you tried to get jobs doing advertising, or magazine illustration, or cover paintings and when you had nowhere else to go you went to DC and tried to get work until you got a better job. When DC didn't take you, you went over to Timely, then Dell, then Fiction House or Fawcett or Harvey until you got a job. Or you worked at all of them because they only had so much work for you.

As time went by and like Everett raymond Kintsler you got better paying work.. you left comics behind. Some artists discovered they liked doing comics so much (Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Joe Kubert, Al Williamson, Will Eisner are good examples) and were doing well enough that they were happy to continue doing it. Some actually wanted to do comics.. but they were a very small minority

Most, if they wanted to do comics wanted to do comic strips. Comic books was the absolute bottom rung of artistic profession just above house painter and you didn't get paid alot. But if you were like Kirby, very prolific, you could do very well. But comic strips was a very well paying field. Artists like Chester Gould, Harold Gray, Milton Caniff, Chic Young, Hal Foster, Alex Raymond and Al Capp were making enormous amounts in the 30s-40s. I think Caniff was making almost $100,000 a year during the mid-40s and I don't doubt the others I mentioned were making similar jack.

Even more, these guys were all very popular people in their time and all were worshiped as visionary artists of the day. Caniff as a matter of fact left Terry and the Pirates over failed negotiations to get a portion of copyright in the strips and that's when he left to do Steve Canyon which made him an incredibly wealthy man.

But this is at the same time that comic book artists of even the best cailbre were only getting $15-25 a page. Even less at some studios, so they wanted to do cimic strips and that is of course why some comic book artists tried to do repeatedly do comic strips which were very profitable if you could get into lots of papers.

so Ditko.. I'm sure he has alot more fondness for the Creeper, Mr A and other material than Spider-Man for a variety fo reasons, one of which is the acrimonious way that he left Marvel. By the way, most of us who collected at the time remember this scenario:

going to the newstand and "Hey, this guy Romita has replaced Ditko.. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT???. Man this sucks"

then the next week when Strange Tales came out "What the @#^%! Where's the Ditko story.. WHAT THE @%&*# IS WITH THIS???? STAN YOU SUCK!!"

then when we found out that Ditko was snared by DC to do his own characters:

"Oh Man.. Cool.. Ditko's coming back.. That's great man.. @#&% You Stan"

yep.. that's what I remember!

I've heard rumors from other comic book artists that Ditko does have a lot of original art including Spider-Man pages but they are just rumors.

keith contarino

Is there any possibility that Ditko was the person who donated the Amazing Fantasy 15 art? Or, someone very close to him?

And, if Ditko wants his privacy, we should respect that. Not everyone is concerned with fame and all the BS that comes with it.

It's interesting you should bring that up.

Chester Gould was like that. If you asked him what was his favorite villain, or storyline.. He always replied "the one I'm working on right now". As a matter of fact, that is what almost any artist will tell you in almost any field including fine artists"

But what it really gets down to overall is really this:

before 1960, very very few people said "I want to become a comic artist". It was really just one more way of making a living for trained or untrained artists looking to put food on the table. you were an illustrator and you tried to get jobs doing advertising, or magazine illustration, or cover paintings and when you had nowhere else to go you went to DC and tried to get work until you got a better job. When DC didn't take you, you went over to Timely, then Dell, then Fiction House or Fawcett or Harvey until you got a job. Or you worked at all of them because they only had so much work for you.

As time went by and like Everett raymond Kintsler you got better paying work.. you left comics behind. Some artists discovered they liked doing comics so much (Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Joe Kubert, Al Williamson, Will Eisner are good examples) and were doing well enough that they were happy to continue doing it. Some actually wanted to do comics.. but they were a very small minority

Most, if they wanted to do comics wanted to do comic strips. Comic books was the absolute bottom rung of artistic profession just above house painter and you didn't get paid alot. But if you were like Kirby, very prolific, you could do very well. But comic strips was a very well paying field. Artists like Chester Gould, Harold Gray, Milton Caniff, Chic Young, Hal Foster, Alex Raymond and Al Capp were making enormous amounts in the 30s-40s. I think Caniff was making almost $100,000 a year during the mid-40s and I don't doubt the others I mentioned were making similar jack.

Even more, these guys were all very popular people in their time and all were worshiped as visionary artists of the day. Caniff as a matter of fact left Terry and the Pirates over failed negotiations to get a portion of copyright in the strips and that's when he left to do Steve Canyon which made him an incredibly wealthy man.

But this is at the same time that comic book artists of even the best cailbre were only getting $15-25 a page. Even less at some studios, so they wanted to do cimic strips and that is of course why some comic book artists tried to do repeatedly do comic strips which were very profitable if you could get into lots of papers.

so Ditko.. I'm sure he has alot more fondness for the Creeper, Mr A and other material than Spider-Man for a variety fo reasons, one of which is the acrimonious way that he left Marvel. By the way, most of us who collected at the time remember this scenario:

going to the newstand and "Hey, this guy Romita has replaced Ditko.. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT???. Man this sucks"

then the next week when Strange Tales came out "What the @#^%! Where's the Ditko story.. WHAT THE @%&*# IS WITH THIS???? STAN YOU SUCK!!"

then when we found out that Ditko was snared by DC to do his own characters:

"Oh Man.. Cool.. Ditko's coming back.. That's great man.. @#&% You Stan"

yep.. that's what I remember!

Great insight and background...thanks for sharing! :headbang:

Yeah it's kindof ironic to think back how bummed we were when Steve vanished from Spidey-dom ( :o ), but in my mind Issue #39 cover is my personal Romita Sr favorite and what many think is his finest cover...

Ditko has written numerous essays about his work and his philosophical views, much of which was published in independent publications in the 1980s 1990s, and early 2000s. Unfortunately most of my comics are all in storage because we had a house fire in May and are currently living in a rental house, but I have some collections of essays and philosophical objectivist themed Ditko comics that I'll be happy to use to verify this. But I can certainly say with confidence that based on the things I've read that were written by Ditko, he does not think highly of his creation Spider-Man. It was a job that he was paid to do for a while, and then he quit and went on to create other things because it was no longer his to control.

Mr. A is a reflection of objectivism, which is of predominant importance to Ditko. Mr. A is an embodiment of the Randian objectivist tenet that A = A.

Tell you what, I'm not doing all your homework for you. Here's a link to an interesting article about Ditko and the influence of objectivism on his work, including a nice (although a little too simplified) primer on What Is Objectivism:

Ditko Shrugged

You can do some Google searches and locate other pieces about Ditko yourself if you want to find out more.

(thumbs u

I suspect that it is posts like these and the attitudes behind them that are the reason why Ditko is "in hiding."

I dont know if I agree with people saying he should stick to privacy and so forth. When people get involved in some kind of business that includes fame. Then they should expect to be bothered. Thats how it is in the comic world as is in the movie world and so forth. He owes the fans something for keeping his character alive! If it were not for people like us who buy Spidermans and go see the Spiderman movies his character would have stayed in his drawing book and be an unknown. That is a fact. To be stubborn to say no autographs no nothing.

And Rodan57 I heard of it but never saw the documantary, ill look into it. Thanks

:signfunny: