• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice little story you wont see on the DC archives anytime soon...

19 posts in this topic

You should check out The mini series of the Crimson Avenger from the 80s and issue number 5 from Secret Origins from the 80s. Thats the last I heard of him. Are there any other issues of him after? I dont know.

I think he also appeared in the weekly series Countdown, in the "History Of The Multiverse" back-up.

According to the Grand Comics Database, he also appeared in JLA: Year One, but even though I've read this series, I can't whether this is true or not.

I sorta remember his story from Secret Origins #5 being pretty good, though I admit it's been a while since I last read it.

Definitely at least one appearance in Detective in the 1977-1982 timeframe too. (Zonker would know.)

hm

Drawing a blank on that one...

I do know DC ret-conned Crimson as a spandex-wearing crimefighter as part of the Seven Soldiers of Victory. That group got a revival in the 1970s with the JLA, including Crimson Avenger and Wing. But I think it was Roy Thomas in the 1980s who gave Crimson back his original mystery-man look, in either the miniseries or Secret Origins or maybe All-Star Squadron originally.

man I forgot about the Seven soldiers of Victory. Yea The same happened to the Sandman who was changed to a superhero way back. Personally I like the Detective looking Sandman and Crimson Avenger better. More myterious.

And give the Sandman his own title, very Detective style, what he originally was before JSA.

Then I hope you're aware of Sandman Mystery Theatre, which is exactly that: 1930s Manhattan with Wes Dodds and Dian Belmont fighting crime. Artist Guy Davis has a style perfectly suited to this period. Scrooge mentioned this series earlier in this thread. I remember they also had guest appearances by Hourman and Starman.

Of course, Sandman Mystery Theatre is a Vertigo title (created in the 1990s to cash in on the Gaiman Sandman name recognition), so it might not be your cup of tea (bad language, sex, some twisted violence if I recall rightly).

I would highly, highly recommend Mystery Theatre to anyone who enjoys the early Sandman Adventures. I always felt they ruined a fantastic concept and character when they gave him a costume and a kid sidekick.