• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 3 pin-up v.s ASM 6 splash v.s FF 72 cover

12 posts in this topic

<<

Also, there were 2 other big pieces that were at SD. Bechara brought along his Kirby/Sinnott FF #72 cover ( arguably the single best SS image ever. ) Trying to get a picture up, hopefully over the next few days

And the Ditko title splash for ASM #6 featuring the Lizard. Both were valued at 150K +

There was a discussion amonst the "powers to be" of which of the above 3 pieces would be worth the most and why. There was no winner, strong arguements were made for all, fun stuff. >>>

I am sorry but why should the "powers to be" have all the fun ?(;-) I don't have time to scan and post images but to me the ASM 3 pin-up shades the ASM 6 splash but comparing purely on image alone. I would say the FF 73 cover is a more powerful dynamic piece (Thats Kirby for you), but because I love Spidey more than Surfer. ASM 3 pin-up wins for me. Not because it is from ASM 3 (although I prefer the thinner pen ink style of early ditko to his broader use of brush later on) those masterwork pin-ups if you've seen one close up Take up the full length of a large art size page and when you combine that with a large drawn head to toe image such as this ASM 3 pin-up. I can only imagine how impressive that looks. So ASM 3 pin-up wins for me with FF 72 a very close second. I would say the Spidey 3 pin-up is also worth more than the FF 72 cover, just on a Ditko Spidey v.s Kirby price comparison. Although I think any exceptiona Kirby piece could garner extra Ditko Spidey price like premium. I would interested i hearing the views and opinions of the board and it would good to get some ics of what were discussing if anyones has a bit of time to do it. Clem...

Clem

As both a Spidey and Surfer fan, it's a tough choice. My preference based purely on the art alone would be the Kirby simply because it is a cover with a complete background and an iconic layout.

Were any of these pieces actually for sale with an actual price tag or were the sellers "taking offers" only?

Cheers!

N

Tough call!

My preference is for cover examples over published interiors . . . but Ditko's SPIDERMAN is more precious to me than Kirby's FANTASTIC FOUR.

I guess, all things considered, I'd go with:

# 1 - Ditko's ASM # 6 splash

# 2 - Kirby's FF # 72 cover

# 3 - Ditko's ASM # 3 pin-up.

The pin-up is superb, but doesn't tie-in to any storyline. The cover and splash pages trigger-off memories from fondly-remembered stories (which is why I place them higher - great images from great stories).

The FF 72 was just for show only I dont see him ever selling it.

That could be true, but I doubt anything is ever "just for show". Given the right offer, I see it being sold. Regardless, the best piece at the show (imho), and I'm glad I got to see it.

I actually dont see him ever selling the FF or ASM 6 splash. People, myself included, have thrown crazy numbers at him and have ALWAYS been turned down. I know you never say never but I just dont think anytime soon.

Thanks guys.

Was this Bechara's?

He has a great collection and always has some covers "for show" only. I've never seen the FF 72 cover or ASM 6 splash in person. I wish I did. I don't know him that well but at past conventions he mentioned he would show me his GL 40 cover one day. :o

I don't think he'll sell any of these items. He has sold off lesser pieces.

Cheers!

N