• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highest prices for interior comic book pages?

67 posts in this topic

you know I thought that was TD's catalog.. the names of the two were very close at the time. maybe it was graphic showcase was the other catalog.

none the less, I'm sure I know who has that page.. and I would guess I had to have seen it at his house 20 years or so ago.. he also has the real 1st page as well and maybe that's why I had forgotten he had this one.. and now I want to call him to say hello!! which I will this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you know I thought that was TD's catalog.. the names of the two were very close at the time. maybe it was graphic showcase was the other catalog.

none the less, I'm sure I know who has that page.. and I would guess I had to have seen it at his house 20 years or so ago.. he also has the real 1st page as well and maybe that's why I had forgotten he had this one.. and now I want to call him to say hello!! which I will this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

. . . and it'll be our secret that you called him scum! :grin:

Trent.. I don't care if he reads this post & sees it, or if one of his friends (if he has even 1 left) points it out to him. After all, most people think he's scum anyway

Trent.. I don't care if he reads this post & sees it, or if one of his friends (if he has even 1 left) points it out to him. After all, most people think he's scum anyway

I wuz only teasing you, Richie. ;)

It's good that you're outspoken and say things as you see them.

well, I think it's always good to point who s.u.c.k.s. aside from pointing out who doesn't.. and there are alot of people who s.u.c.k.

I just wonder why scum didn't become *spoon*????

well, I think it's always good to point who s.u.c.k.s. aside from pointing out who doesn't.. and there are alot of people who s.u.c.k.

I just wonder why scum didn't become *spoon*????

ed if I know. (shrug)

Check out todays Heritge auction. Some of the earlier Crumb art work surfaced and is starting to edge higher. The three page story Meat from Big 1 averaged over $50K with the highest priced one ended north of $70K.

If a choice interior page from early of issues of Crumb comix appears I would expect them to go higher than the page from Marvel 1.

Sometimes, OA collectors become too preoccupied with men in tights. I completely forgot about Crumb. doh!

He is one of the few pioneers in the underground comics movement that has crossed over to mainstream art circles. An unpublished panel piece from his early period could easily pass the US$100,000 mark.

GroovyEdwin may be up for the No-Prize.

Cheers!

N

:grin:

Thanks a lot for the feedback, everyone.

Mr. Groovy, could you explain what "Zap Jam" is? I've noticed extremely high prices for Crumb artwork in previous Heritage auctions.

tb,

It is a collaboration piece done by several or all of the artists whose work appeared in Zap Comix starting with issue 2 or 3. A poster print of one of the jams can be viewed at:

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=17122&Lot_No=16822

Less than 20 have been done with only a few of these having ever been sold by the artist. I have only seen 1 of these jams openly advertised for sale.

Who would have ever thought that any page from an underground comic (given the initial target audience) would sell for more than 50k.

err I guess the same could be said for superhero comics.

I shall rephrase.

Ok so who would have ever thought that anyone who was an inital fan of the early underground comics would one day grow up and be able to afford spending 50k on anything (house,car,etc etc)