• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highest prices for interior comic book pages?

67 posts in this topic

Sometimes, OA collectors become too preoccupied with men in tights. I completely forgot about Crumb. doh!

He is one of the few pioneers in the underground comics movement that has crossed over to mainstream art circles.

[...]

I found this article in today's NY Times very interesting. Is there anyone in Philadelphia who has seen some of the gems in this exhibit?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/05/arts/design/05crum.html?scp=1&sq=crumb&st=cse

TB

You are such a tease.

An unpublished 7 panel interior page but not a splash in the $100K range? Not Herge? Let the speculation begin !!!

Sorry, I honestly didn't mean this to be a quiz since it wouldn't be right for me to reveal the answer; it could also put a potential deal in jeopardy. Feel free to guess, but unfortunately I can't give confirmation before the seller officially lists the piece.

I was just genuinely surprised when I was unable to find examples by other (American) artists in this price range. I suspect the answer would be very surprising to most people who post here. Is it possible that any Silver Age pages would sell in the 6 figures? Any interior page from AF 15 would surely have brought much more than $100K if it had been available(?)...

Can I guess :baiting:

100K sure is a lot, but in my opinion that page is one of the best existing from this artist.

IMHO buy that gold nugget if you can. Might be the only chance in your lifetime to get it. For example, every page I know having been bought by a Finnish collector has been locked in their collection since.

How do 2 people share the art?

This artist did full pages in two parts. Top/bottom were drawn on separate pieces of paper.

btw got an ad from Heritage last week, it had some prices realised from August auction. Peanuts Sunday comics strip from 1957 was sold for 101,575$

:)

From what I hear, the sale should be announced next week. For those who already guessed it, I'd appreciate if you'd hold back the info until then. The price will supposedly be considerably over $100,000. At one point, when the dollar was lower, it was actually approaching $150.000!

Thanks to everyone who kept it confidential for these past few months - I almost got myself in trouble and am impressed that you guys respected my wishes.

I'm on my way out the door - could someone please post the picture with the caption?

Carsten Laqua (comicoriginalart.com) has the page for sale. Transplant: I have indeed bought a few Barks pages recently but this is, unfortunately, not among them.

One of the first replies guessed "the origin of a superhero" - that is exactly why many Barks collectors consider this to be the most attractive surviving original.

---

CARL BARKS: Back to the Klondike

1953, page for Four Color Comics #456 which was taken off from the story because that sequence was to violent for the Disney editors at that time, signed twice, 41 x 59,5 cm; It’s common sense amongst most Barks Experts that this is the best Barks Page still in existence. It’s from his best period, from one of his best stories and it shows great characters!

€ 89.000.- ($ 120,150)

67358.jpg.06398ec973f6667b26afabb757aea1d5.jpg

I think this may the Barks page that tb posted teased at showing elsewhere on the boards?

I must've been out sick that day. I just saw what tb posted and definitely had not seen it posted on the boards before.

:cloud9:

As TB noted, about 5 pages of a bar fight sequence were cut from the original story. The entire unedited story was eventually published with Barks recreating 1/2 page of art that remained missing. I'm sure other Scrooge McDuck fans can fill in the details.

TB originally threw me off when he said it was unpublished.

Cheers!

N