• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highest prices for interior comic book pages?

67 posts in this topic

Absolutely wonderful tb. 2 questions. 1) Did you purchase it? I see you answered this question in your reply. 2) Did Barks not cut the pages in half until they had been shot for publication and returned to him? Now that I'm asking, that makes the most sense.

1 positive: The price has dropped $6,000 due to currency fluctuations. If it keeps going, I may be able to afford it but Europe would be ruined.

CARL BARKS: Back to the Klondike

€ 89.000.- ($ 120,150)

sorry to hear you didn't end up with it tb. was the seller not willing to work with you on price then? 89,000 euro is a lot of cake.

Bronty: I should still have at least another 25 years left of collecting and am not in any rush to get the page. If it doesn't sell or the dollar continues to gain, it may become tempting (back in August, Euro 89,000 amounted to $145,000). I love the chocolate, btw! :).

Transplant: The strathmore that Barks worked on during this period was pre-cut to the half-page size. Now that you mention cutting, I can't remember if I posted the picture below (Uncle Scrooge 8) since you joined. Barks cut it crudely into two pieces in 1961 so that two brothers who visited him could get one each. They kept them separately for 40 years until I bought them 6 months apart in 2001. Very rare stuff...

Barks originals are huge, with image area of 16" x 23" for full page. Double the size compared to, for example late sixties Marvel pages.

Btw I recall that in an interiew Barks said that the paper he was supplied, changed to a different kind at some stage. tb do you know when this happened? At least paper on late 60s pages look different.

Bronty: I should still have at least another 25 years left of collecting and am not in any rush to get the page. If it doesn't sell or the dollar continues to gain, it may become tempting (back in August, Euro 89,000 amounted to $145,000). I love the chocolate, btw! :).

Transplant: The strathmore that Barks worked on during this period was pre-cut to the half-page size. Now that you mention cutting, I can't remember if I posted the picture below (Uncle Scrooge 8) since you joined. Barks cut it crudely into two pieces in 1961 so that two brothers who visited him could get one each. They kept them separately for 40 years until I bought them 6 months apart in 2001. Very rare stuff...

TB: I did recall your post of that page (it's not actually in your post above). I think that is where I was thinking that Barks would cut his pages in half, either for mailing or to give away.

By the way, the FC #62 I just posted in the Ducks thread came from our mutual acquaintance here in St. Louis. The same one that, I believe innocently, sold me the Slight(P) copy of FC #108. Looks like I'm 2 for 2 with him and big Duck books. Oh well. I'll know for sure soon.

Carsten Laqua (comicoriginalart.com) has the page for sale. Transplant: I have indeed bought a few Barks pages recently but this is, unfortunately, not among them.

One of the first replies guessed "the origin of a superhero" - that is exactly why many Barks collectors consider this to be the most attractive surviving original.

---

CARL BARKS: Back to the Klondike

1953, page for Four Color Comics #456 which was taken off from the story because that sequence was to violent for the Disney editors at that time, signed twice, 41 x 59,5 cm; It’s common sense amongst most Barks Experts that this is the best Barks Page still in existence. It’s from his best period, from one of his best stories and it shows great characters!

€ 89.000.- ($ 120,150)

oh my