• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The best Bronze Age artist..who was your favorite?

70 posts in this topic

Best/Favorite. big surprise: John Byrne

One guy I think doesn't get enough respect is Sal Buscema. Some of my fave Avengers, Defenders, MTU, Captain America. and FF Bronze runs have big Sal at the helm.

He's kind of Marvel;s answer to Jim Aparo. Steady, memorable, but worked too hard and too long to be truly prolific.

If Sal had been given one book a month to put his heart into, I think he could have done some serious work, but Marvel gave him 3 a month, plus covers, plus fill-in issues, plus editor work, plus...

Byrne should be on the list, but outside of his x-men work, I didn't find his work on team up or iron fist to be all that great... he did a bunch of other books (like champions) that I thought were just ok.

If Terry Austin was Byrne's designated inker....... all of his work would be untouchable.

Neal Adams is the best Bronze artist IMO by a longshot. Who cares if he was DC's cover artist of choice during the 60s, how many stories did he actually do during the Silver Age?

However, I do agree that his Marvel stuff was not as nice as his DC runs (Deadman, GL, Batman). I think this was due to the inking more than anything. Just like Austin made Byrne look that much better, Giordano was the only one who truly knew how to ink Adams' artwork properly. It is incredible how much of a difference a good inker can make with even average artwork. No offense to Tom Palmer, but whatever he did to those panels just did not look right IMO.

The way I see it ...there is no best artist. Instead I would argue that there are some artists that were the best on the character that they drew..

Although Neal Adams could argueably be the best overall artist in terms of sheer volume of high quality stuff..

To illustrate my point I will start of by saying...

Ploog was great at depicting WBN but he was even a better match for Ghost Rider....and he did some pretty dynomite stuff in the "Wizards" movie...

BWS was truly magnificant on the Conan comic but on the B&W Savage Sword Buscema & Chaykin, as a team, depicted Conan in all his savagry and power.

Kaaluta had a surrealistic style and is pretty much unique and therefore stands out as being inimitable.

Jim Aparo seems highly underated but he was fabulous on "The Spectre" in Adventure Comics and he was fairly adept at aquaman also.

Neal Adams on Batman probably ranks as the best Batman ever although Wrightson depicted him with some efectiveness.

Wrightson....Swamp Thing anybody.

Joe Staton on E-Man. Many you either don't know him, or don't care, but on this title he truly brought out the feel of the character in the way that he was intended to be presented.

Neal Adams was one.But there are some others that bear mentioning.

Dave Cockrum single-handedly revived the Legion of Super Heroes and,IMHO,it remains his best work to date.

Bob Brown and Murphy Andersons work on Superboy-Very dynamic layouts and those smooth Anderson finishes made this a must read for me.One Bob Brown fan just happened to be Neal Adams!

Walt Simonson's groundbreaking work on Archie Goodwins version of Manhunter

announced his presence with authority and also his ability to crunch a lot of material into an 8 page back-up. It is still an incredible read after all of these years.

Ross Andru is perhaps one of the few artists who worked on the worlds two major comic book characters with equal aplomb and enthusiasm.Therefore,he was the only logical choice to illustrate "Superman vs. The Amazing Spiderman" tabloid book.While Adams may have clinched the "photo realistic" title, Andrus cinema style layouts and "camera" angles were a massive delight.Reading this book is like watching a movie. acclaim.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Just a few of my faves...

But Romita Sr had no ooomph! Just a very nice vanilla flavor. Good draughtsman, good layouts, pretty girls...but no BANG.

Adams and Steranko were "artistes" at their peaks in the 70s.

IMO Ross Andru was a talented drawer, but only a serviceable artist, far less exciting than even Romita. They could both draw ANYthing 'well' but not extraordinarily so.

Personally, while I love Adams work, I never really liked Steranko that much.

Sure, I appreciated the innovations, designs and chances he took (much like Bill Sienkiewicz), but I never thought his actual artwork was anything to write home about.

Steranko, like Smith, was IMO more of a designer when he drew (like Simonson too) than an anatomically correct draughtsman. Their figures were off and legs were bent at funny angles sometimes, but the panels and pages as a whole added up to nice layouts.

I prefer his drawing style. I prefer to think of it as substance over style. Sure those other people drew "prettier" things. But I think Romita Sr did a great job of drawing emotions and conveying things through images.

Brian