• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it just me, or are the OA prices really strong on the HA today?

165 posts in this topic

I gotta give it up to Heritage, some of these prices realized are UNBELIEVABLE!

Swamp Thing #4 splash -- 25K

Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and *spoon* Ayers Avengers #1 page 16 Original Art (Marvel, 1963).... Signature August 8, 2008 $38,837.50

(Live: Phone)

41440 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Syd Shores Captain America #100 page 17 Original Art (Marvel, 1968).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,975.00

(HA.com/Live)

41441 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Dan Green Captain America #213 page 17 Original Art (Marvel, 1977).... Signature August 8, 2008 $657.25

(HA.com/Live)

41442 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and George Roussos (as George Bell) Fantastic Four #21 Hate-Monger page 14 Original Art (Marvel, 1963).... Signature August 8, 2008 $3,585.00

(HA.com/Live)

41443 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Chic Stone Fantastic Four #28 page 8 Co-Starring the X-Men Original Art (Marvel, 1964).... Signature August 8, 2008 $16,730.00

(HA.com/Live)

Jack Kirby and Chic Stone Fantastic Four #37, page 7 Original Art (Marvel, 1965).... (Total: 4 Items) Signature August 8, 2008 $16,730.00

(HA.com/Live)

41445 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #90, page 5 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... Signature August 8, 2008 $11,950.00

(Internet)

41446 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #90, page 6 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,078.75

(HA.com/Live)

41447 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #90, page 7 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,078.75

(Live: Floor)

41448 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #90, page 8 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... Signature August 8, 2008 $11,352.50

(Internet)

41449 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #90, page 20 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,078.75

(HA.com/Live)

41450 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #94, page 2 Original Art (Marvel, 1970).... Signature August 8, 2008 $7,767.50

(Internet)

41451 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #94, page 17 Original Art (Marvel, 1970).... Signature August 8, 2008 $4,481.25

(HA.com/Live)

41452 Original Comic Art : Covers

Jack Kirby and John Romita Sr. Ghost Rider #23 Cover Original Art (Marvel, 1977).... (Total: 2 Items) Signature August 8, 2008 $14,340.00

(HA.com/Live)

41453 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Chic Stone Journey Into Mystery #113, Thor page 3 Original Art (Marvel, 1965).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,377.50

(HA.com/Live)

41454 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Mike Royer Mister Miracle #17 page 15 Original Art (DC, 1974).... Signature August 8, 2008 $1,553.50

(Internet)

41455 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Mike Royer Mister Miracle #17 Page 20 Original Art (DC, 1974).... Signature August 8, 2008 $1,314.50

41456 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Mike Royer Mister Miracle #17 Page 17 Original Art (DC, 1974).... Signature August 8, 2008 $1,673.00

(Live: eBay)

41457 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Vince Colletta Thor #130 page 3 Original Art (Marvel, 1966).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,078.75

(HA.com/Live)

41458 Original Comic Art : Splash Pages

Jack Kirby and Bill Everett Thor #171 Splash Page 1 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... Signature August 8, 2008 $8,365.00

Jack Kirby and Paul Reinman X-Men #1 page 10 Original Art (Marvel, 1963).... Signature August 8, 2008 $20,315.00

(HA.com/Live)

41461 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Paul Reinman X-Men #1 Magneto's Very First Appearance, page 11 Original Art (Marvel, 1963).

... Signature August 8, 2008 $53,775.00

(HA.com/Live)

41462 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Paul Reinman X-Men #1 page 20 Original Art (Marvel, 1963).... Signature August 8, 2008 $31,070.00

DId you see the prices the original big little book covers were going for?

I spotted $12k, and $18k hammer prices.

C

Yes, those blb covers blew me away too! But so did the Avengers 1 page, the Feldstein cover, the Raymond Flash, the Vallejos, the Hogarth Tarzans,... I don't know you name it I was pretty much blown away. The Stanley Little Lulu was over 5k!!!

Some of the Kirby FF pages seemed fair to me; the Buscema FF cover too!

oh yeah, the Norems seemed very fair to me too. I was going to go for one but none really shined to me. Don't get me wrong, they were all nice, but none I had to have. Sometimes that's the problem with already having a good example. You only look for as good or better examples.

oh yeah, the Norems seemed very fair to me too. I was going to go for one but none really shined to me. Don't get me wrong, they were all nice, but none I had to have. Sometimes that's the problem with already having a good example. You only look for as good or better examples.

The 3 Norem SSOC covers that were up for sale were all too Day-Glo for my tastes. Though, I threw in some bids anyway that were high enough to keep anyone from getting a steal. Why? Because I'm a mean and horrible person who doesn't like seeing people get bargains (no, not really). :P

I was the underbidder on the Boris Vallejo SSOC #10 cover that sold for almost $29K. Given how hesitantly the winning floor bid came in, I think one more bid probably would have won it, but I just didn't love it enough at $30K+. :sorry:

I won the Xenozoic Tales #8 cover by Mark Schultz - I'm very happy with both the piece and the price. In fact, I'm thrilled to have gotten through the convention season spending as little as I have, as there's some pricey non-OA stuff that I'm currently after (I know it's hard to believe, but there actually are OA collectors who buy things other than art! :whatthe:). Plus, you can't save too much cash these days with the economy in the shape it's in. Though, around these parts, some might consider cautious speak like that to be crazy (not Krazy) talk! lol

Jack Kirby and *spoon* Ayers Avengers #1 page 16 Original Art (Marvel, 1963).... Signature August 8, 2008 $38,837.50

(HA.com/Live)

Jack Kirby and Chic Stone Fantastic Four #37, page 7 Original Art (Marvel, 1965).... (Total: 4 Items) Signature August 8, 2008 $16,730.00

(HA.com/Live)

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #90, page 5 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... Signature August 8, 2008 $11,950.00

(Internet)

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #90, page 8 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... Signature August 8, 2008 $11,352.50

(Internet)

(HA.com/Live)

Jack Kirby and Paul Reinman X-Men #1 Magneto's Very First Appearance, page 11 Original Art (Marvel, 1963).

These prices surprised me for sure. When you think that the end page from Avengers 1 did not sell on ebay and this so so page went for $38.9K Wow and $53.7K for that X-Men 1 page must be a price record for a Kirby interior.

Just when you think they can't go any higher, they do. How long before we see $100KK Kirby interiors prices.

Clem

Just when you think they can't go any higher, they do. How long before we see $100KK Kirby interiors prices.

No doubt prices were strong, though I'd like to know how widespread the participation was at these levels - was it a relatively small number or did a couple/few big players scoop up a lot of the really pricey lots? hm

I just think it's important to stay grounded - I think many would agree that the OA market really feels frothy now. It feels like people are willing to (over)pay just about any price because the market will quickly bail them out as it has in recent years. People seem resigned to the fact that it is and will continue to be a seller's market indefinitely. Though, "forever" is a long time... :eek:

Being a professional macro investor, I come into work every morning and am greeted by bad news about the markets and the economy on a daily basis, which is now spreading like a virus overseas where economies and housing markets are both deflating at an alarming pace - so much so that even the beleaguered U.S. dollar has started to appreciate again. I just wonder how accommodating the macro environment for art & collectibles is going to be a year or two from now if this continues - with commodities joining housing as hard assets that are now correcting/deflating, will art/collectibles remain the last bubble standing for much longer? :shrug:

I guess, though, I'll just remain the boy who cried wolf until things change. :sorry:

The 3 Norem SSOC covers that were up for sale were all too Day-Glo for my tastes. Though, I threw in some bids anyway that were high enough to keep anyone from getting a steal. Why? Because I'm a mean and horrible person who doesn't like seeing people get bargains (no, not really). :P

I was the underbidder on the Boris Vallejo SSOC #10 cover that sold for almost $29K. Given how hesitantly the winning floor bid came in, I think one more bid probably would have won it, but I just didn't love it enough at $30K+. :sorry:

I won the Xenozoic Tales #8 cover by Mark Schultz - I'm very happy with both the piece and the price. In fact, I'm thrilled to have gotten through the convention season spending as little as I have, as there's some pricey non-OA stuff that I'm currently after (I know it's hard to believe, but there actually are OA collectors who buy things other than art! :whatthe:). Plus, you can't save too much cash these days with the economy in the shape it's in. Though, around these parts, some might consider cautious speak like that to be crazy (not Krazy) talk! lol

I am going to choose to ignore your subsequent post.... as it makes my head hurt this early in the morning, but I will say congrats on an awesome cover by Schultz and also that the piece I was most interested in was the SSOC#10 as well. Really classic and beautiful. I was watching poised, but 30k was too steep for me. Actually pretty ballzy of you to go to 28k or whatever. Not that it's not worth it, but seems like new territory...

Thanks, Dan. I picked up another Schultz cover earlier this year for a lot higher, so I was pretty happy with this pick-up. You pick anything up or were you content with all your recent purchases? :foryou:

As for the Boris SSOC cover, he only did 7 or 8 of them (if memory serves) and none of them have been offered publicly for sale recently as far as I recall, so I'm not surprised that the two at Heritage went for healthy prices. I think there are a couple/few better Boris SSOC covers that would fetch even more were they to hit the market. :eek:

Just as a tiny aside on my previous remarks about the market, I want to note here for the unaware that the U.S. dollar has just quietly hit a 6-month high and that almost every commodity market (energy, gold/metals, grains, etc.) is in utter free fall at the moment. I think the inflation scare we had is passing - money is fleeing out of hard assets now. Will art and collectibles prices stay hot if the inflationary scare subsides and cash becomes king again? There certainly doesn't appear to be any sign of a let-up at this time, but I do think it merits some reflection for the forward-minded. hm

I agree that the Boris's were special and rare. And, probably worth every penny. I mean how good would that look framed on a wall to stare at every day. Part of my hesitation (besides the large price) was the fact that I had recently picked up a Boris Doc (also rare and special... at least to me). Also, agreed there are a couple of other Boris Conans that would bring pricing to an ever newer level.

I picked up nothing as I am waiting today to hear about another special purchase. The 'seller' wanted to wait until today to accept my offer or not which made me hesitant about spending any serious $ before getting his answer.

I do however have a pretty special Norem coming in today, that completes my 'san diego' trifecta of posts.

It's a little later and I've had my tea, so I can begin to comprehend financial posts, but would like to throw in some anectdotal spew: I have retail businesses and for the 1st time ever (meaning the 13 years I've owned them) about 75% of my vendors are instituting across the board mid-year or 3rd quarter price increases. Every item I am ordering now for 4th quarter sales is between 5 and 20% higher than the same item at the first of the year. I will have to raise prices on many of those items and I have been told by quite a few of my vendors that the mass stores and discounters will also be raising prices on those items. As I'm a small cog in the machine I can only imagine what this is going to do to inflation as this trickles through the economy... let's just hope as you say that commodity prices dip and stabilize...

The SSOC covers Boris painted include:

The SSOC #1, 4, and 9 covers all sold privately back in 2001. Right after the #1 sold, another collector offered $30k for it. The collector who bought it wouldn't sell it for that however.

Although the #5 is a great cover and a memorable one, I have to imagine the #1 would go for more than the #5. I'd be interested to know what other people consider the best of the Boris SSOC covers?

I have always liked the SSOC #9 cover personally. I has a nice eerie feeling to it.

SSOC #5 is another favorite.

Did Frazetta sell any of the Conan covers he did for the Ace paperbacks?

Although the #5 is a great cover and a memorable one, I have to imagine the #1 would go for more than the #5. I'd be interested to know what other people consider the best of the Boris SSOC covers?

#7 is the best one artistically, IMO. However, the #1 I'm sure would fetch the most $$$ since it is the first, the most recognizable and has Red Sonja to boot. I have to say, though, Boris did not do a great job of painting Conan's face on the #1, #4, #5 or #10 IMHO. I'm also not thrilled about Conan's pose (with his back turned) on the #9 and #12 covers, which are otherwise very nice.

I think Boris has done some fabulous work in the horror genre as well - his Monsters Unleashed #2 cover with Frankenstein (and Psycho #1 with a different version of Frankenstein) is just stupendous. Some of his Zombie covers are awesome as well - I wonder if any of these will come out of the woodwork anytime soon. hm

David, I defnitely agree some impressive prices were realized. Kirby did quite well, as did most of the "Blue Chips". Interesting to see the level of the Avengers 1 and X-Men 1 interior pages. I really thought some of them would go higher, especially the X-Men pages. I mean, we're talking X-Men 1 here!

I thought the Kirby small art did quite well. Sinnott and Shores inked Kirby pages continue to be very bullish.

As others have noted, not just Kirby, LOTS of the names did well. That auction was packed with good stuff!

Swamp Thing #4 splash -- 25K

41440 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Syd Shores Captain America #100 page 17 Original Art (Marvel, 1968).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,975.00

(HA.com/Live)

41441 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Dan Green Captain America #213 page 17 Original Art (Marvel, 1977).... Signature August 8, 2008 $657.25

(HA.com/Live)

41442 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and George Roussos (as George Bell) Fantastic Four #21 Hate-Monger page 14 Original Art (Marvel, 1963).... Signature August 8, 2008 $3,585.00

(HA.com/Live)

41443 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Chic Stone Fantastic Four #28 page 8 Co-Starring the X-Men Original Art (Marvel, 1964).... Signature August 8, 2008 $16,730.00

(HA.com/Live)

(HA.com/Live)

(Internet)

41446 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #90, page 6 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,078.75

(HA.com/Live)

41447 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #90, page 7 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,078.75

(Internet)

41449 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #90, page 20 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,078.75

(HA.com/Live)

41450 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #94, page 2 Original Art (Marvel, 1970).... Signature August 8, 2008 $7,767.50

(Internet)

41451 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #94, page 17 Original Art (Marvel, 1970).... Signature August 8, 2008 $4,481.25

(HA.com/Live)

41452 Original Comic Art : Covers

Jack Kirby and John Romita Sr. Ghost Rider #23 Cover Original Art (Marvel, 1977).... (Total: 2 Items) Signature August 8, 2008 $14,340.00

(HA.com/Live)

41453 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Chic Stone Journey Into Mystery #113, Thor page 3 Original Art (Marvel, 1965).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,377.50

(HA.com/Live)

41454 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Mike Royer Mister Miracle #17 page 15 Original Art (DC, 1974).... Signature August 8, 2008 $1,553.50

(Internet)

41455 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Mike Royer Mister Miracle #17 Page 20 Original Art (DC, 1974).... Signature August 8, 2008 $1,314.50

41456 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Mike Royer Mister Miracle #17 Page 17 Original Art (DC, 1974).... Signature August 8, 2008 $1,673.00

(Live: eBay)

41457 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Vince Colletta Thor #130 page 3 Original Art (Marvel, 1966).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,078.75

(HA.com/Live)

41458 Original Comic Art : Splash Pages

Jack Kirby and Bill Everett Thor #171 Splash Page 1 Original Art (Marvel, 1969).... Signature August 8, 2008 $8,365.00

Jack Kirby and Paul Reinman X-Men #1 page 10 Original Art (Marvel, 1963).... Signature August 8, 2008 $20,315.00

(HA.com/Live)

(HA.com/Live)

41462 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Paul Reinman X-Men #1 page 20 Original Art (Marvel, 1963).... Signature August 8, 2008 $31,070.00

No doubt prices were strong, though I'd like to know how widespread the participation was at these levels - was it a relatively small number or did a couple/few big players scoop up a lot of the really pricey lots? hm

I just think it's important to stay grounded - I think many would agree that the OA market really feels frothy now. It feels like people are willing to (over)pay just about any price because the market will quickly bail them out as it has in recent years. People seem resigned to the fact that it is and will continue to be a seller's market indefinitely. Though, "forever" is a long time... :eek:

Being a professional macro investor, I come into work every morning and am greeted by bad news about the markets and the economy on a daily basis, which is now spreading like a virus overseas where economies and housing markets are both deflating at an alarming pace - so much so that even the beleaguered U.S. dollar has started to appreciate again. I just wonder how accommodating the macro environment for art & collectibles is going to be a year or two from now if this continues - with commodities joining housing as hard assets that are now correcting/deflating, will art/collectibles remain the last bubble standing for much longer? :shrug:

I guess, though, I'll just remain the boy who cried wolf until things change. :sorry:

Gene,

I am glad to know that the Xeno cover went to you, the irony inherit in your little Macro analysis being that, even though your pockets are deeper, the depreciation of the Housing market (even in CA :o) ended up saving you some money. As 18 months ago I may have thrown another thousand at it, but with realistic home ownership has staved off my disposable capital expenditures in order to maximize my down payment potential as the foreclosures continue to hit the market here.