• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it just me, or are the OA prices really strong on the HA today?

165 posts in this topic

41457 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Vince Colletta Thor #130 page 3 Original Art (Marvel, 1966).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,078.75

Yikes!!! This Colletta inked Kirby didn't even have Thor in it!

The two FF 90 pages (small art) that went for $11K each were quite pedestrian really and don't get me started on the Kirby/Stone FF 37 page, nearly $17K ?? Someone has too much money to burn. Credit crunch my @$$!

Clem

41457 Original Comic Art : Panel Pages

Jack Kirby and Vince Colletta Thor #130 page 3 Original Art (Marvel, 1966).... Signature August 8, 2008 $5,078.75

Yikes!!! This Colletta inked Kirby didn't even have Thor in it!

The two FF 90 pages (small art) that went for $11K each were quite pedestrian really and don't get me started on the Kirby/Stone FF 37 page, nearly $17K ?? Someone has too much money to burn. Credit crunch my @$$!

Clem

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these pages are going to Europe. Even though the dollar has been making some headway, the Euro to Dollar conversion is still quite favorable to the Euro.

I agree though, that some of these prices were surprising!!

I think the most surprising prices are teh 1958 Prince Valiants at $21k & 33K

those are incredibly outsized results

and to those of you who don't have one.. the price has now tripled

Why does everyone think the buyers are Europeans? A weak dollar can't be the only reason, the UK is feeling the pinch too.

I thought all the real High Rollers were Stateside.

Clem

I think the most surprising prices are teh 1958 Prince Valiants at $21k & 33K

those are incredibly outsized results

and to those of you who don't have one.. the price has now tripled

Why does everyone think the buyers are Europeans? A weak dollar can't be the only reason, the UK is feeling the pinch too.

I thought all the real High Rollers were Stateside.

Clem

Oh C'mon.. the British Pound is at an all time high against the US dollar. anything you buy is practically 1/2 price right now

even the Mexican Peso is at an all time high against the dollar, but of course I don't think any migrant workers are buying Foster art..

George Bush has been a great boon to non-US buyers of anything at all.

If McCain gets elected.. we may start having to print bills like they are in Zimbabwe

a $1,000,000 note buys a loaf of bread

You're not the 'boy who cried wolf' as long as you're still buying! ;)

After reading Gene's posts, the phrase that kept jumping into my head was "methinks thou doth protesteth too much".

You're not the 'boy who cried wolf' as long as you're still buying! ;)

After reading Gene's posts, the phrase that kept jumping into my head was "methinks thou doth protesteth too much".

I was just joking with Gene, as I know that he definitely has been hesitating to spend the "big bucks" these days on the hobby. I've had the same hesitation. Prices are just so high that it makes you stop and think. The only people who don't have to stop and think are those who do a lot of trades (dealers, collectors with short attention spans), those who are in this for the buy/sell deal (dealers, auction houses), and those with exhorbitant amounts of money (millionaires, of which I think there are still just a handful in the hobby, but a passionate handful). I for one am definitely still buying, but choosing more carefully.

I wouldn't characterize my observations as being "protestations" - I'm basically happy with the collection I have and haven't been priced out of the market by any means. However, at current asking prices, I'm pretty content to keep my wallet in my back pocket (and not feel angry or bitter at all about it), or to spend my cash on other pursuits which I feel are better values. :banana:

Here's a good reference for people (see below graph). Though, in the case of the comic OA market, I think we are still clearly in the "euphoria" stage - is that a perfect description of today's market or what? While no one can predict for sure when we start down the negatively-sloped part of the curve, I'm pretty sure that it can't be that far into the future, or else 5 years from now there will only be 5 guys out there who will be able to afford anything at the rate things are going. :tonofbricks:

63845.jpg.10b695adaec33067be457531435bb7d9.jpg

ME ??? - I'm still in the EXCITEMENT stage !!!!!!!!

lol

"Excitement" was, like, so 4 years ago, man! On the bright side, I guess this means you'll hit "euphoria" right around the time the rest of us have hit "desperation". :devil:

I was just joking with Gene, as I know that he definitely has been hesitating to spend the "big bucks" these days on the hobby. I've had the same hesitation. Prices are just so high that it makes you stop and think. The only people who don't have to stop and think are those who do a lot of trades (dealers, collectors with short attention spans), those who are in this for the buy/sell deal (dealers, auction houses), and those with exhorbitant amounts of money (millionaires, of which I think there are still just a handful in the hobby, but a passionate handful). I for one am definitely still buying, but choosing more carefully.

I'm glad you brought up "collectors with short attention spans". I've noticed a few of these ADD-type collectors who appear to be in the hobby solely for the thrill of the chase. In short time, they dump their latest shiny acquisition and move on to something else. The unfortunate consequence being that in the meantime, they've driven up the market on whatever art/artist's work they *had* to have. There are many reasons for segments of the hobby to have reached the levels they have; the ADD style of collecting has just been an obvious one to me. Of course, people can collect however they like. But there are consequences for the rest of us.