• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1 - #10 aren't so super ???

39 posts in this topic

can someone please explain to me why superman didn't make most of the covers on action #1 - #10?

from my understanding, he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, DC sales through the roof..... what happened for FC of #2 onwards?

(excuse my ignorance :foryou: )

Thanks,

B.

p.s. don't get me wrong, i LOVE :cloud9: the non superman covers. im just curious.

Because sales feedback was not instantaneous like it is today. Everything was snail mail, telegraph and was written on paper instead of computer. It always took a few issues to get sales data etc back to a point where a decision could be made to continue or not.

IMO it was also so new they were likely not sure of the longevity of the character and stuck to good old fashioned action adventure which was more of a staple at the time.

Probably the same reason that every GA character alternated covers. Sandman, Batman...

R.

Because sales feedback was not instantaneous like it is today. Everything was snail mail, telegraph and was written on paper instead of computer. It always took a few issues to get sales data etc back to a point where a decision could be made to continue or not.

IMO it was also so new they were likely not sure of the longevity of the character and stuck to good old fashioned action adventure which was more of a staple at the time.

Probably the same reason that every GA character alternated covers. Sandman, Batman...

R.

exactly, I had heard that DC didn't know of the characters popularity until issue #7, which is why after issue #7, he was on every 3rd cover, then at issue #19, they said "F it ! let's put him on every one".

exactly, I had heard that DC didn't know of the characters popularity until issue #7, which is why after issue #7, he was on every 3rd cover, then at issue #19, they said "F it ! let's put him on every one".

lol sounds about right. i like the picture you have painted.

Thanks,

Ben

From the Golden age 12 covers are not Supermans 2-6, 8,9,11,12,14,16,18. And yes they are great covers in their own way (# 2 and 3 my favorites). But then you look at some of the superman covers (for me the early ones at least) are just amazing. My favorite is # 20 tearing out that vault!) without a doubt. Waiting for it to come back from cgc as we speak. Cant wait!

Yea, much better than those later comical childish covers. Also it seems that alot of people are going after Adventure pre-hero issues these days. Im still working on my first, I only have a small Hourman run.

I love the non supes covers too - after all there are only a few covers in the entire run that aren't supes. much more interesting to me than 7 or 10 which go for more.

I agree.

From the Golden age 12 covers are not Supermans 2-6, 8,9,11,12,14,16,18. And yes they are great covers in their own way (# 2 and 3 my favorites). But then you look at some of the superman covers (for me the early ones at least) are just amazing. My favorite is # 20 tearing out that vault!) without a doubt. Waiting for it to come back from cgc as we speak. Cant wait!

that's not entirely true. 12 and 14 have superman on the cover (in some form....) :grin:

12-1.jpg

14-1.jpg

B.

I guess if we take it that way (logo and all). I guess we should say featured instead? I guess they went with Superman not too long after when they realized that Zatara wasnt hitting as big.Although I like these covers as well.

can someone please explain to me why superman didn't make most of the covers on action #1 - #10?

from my understanding, he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, DC sales through the roof..... what happened for FC of #2 onwards?

(excuse my ignorance :foryou: )

Thanks,

B.

p.s. don't get me wrong, i LOVE :cloud9: the non superman covers. im just curious.

Well, similar to what others here have said, there is quite a time lag in publishing a monthly periodical. By the time #1 would have hit the stands, #3 probably would have been completed and on its way to the printer. Assuming one or two months on the stands and then adding in the time that returns took and a publisher would be completing their 5th or 6th issue by the time they had final sales figures (although preliminaries may have come much faster if something was a complete dog).

Still, I seem to recall that the folks at DC were recieving lots of feedback that the kids loved this new character, but I'd guess they had no idea of the lasting impact. My guess is that the cover to #7 was planned in rotation before they had a good idea of the numbers.

Even once the figures started coming in, they may have simply thought they finally found the best format, i.e. "Looks like the kids are more interested in action stories than in detective or adventure stories."

Somebody was getting the idea though because starting with #9 all the issues at least had the cover blurb, and of course they took the unprecedented step of launching Superman in his own book.

Like r said, this was all so new that they probably had doubts about the longevity, and after launching the Superman title may have had doubts about whether the character could carry two titles, along with reservations about letting one character dominate an anthology title. But after six months of alternating covers the numbers were probably pretty clear, hence Superman covers from #19 on.