• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking open CGC Graded Cases to get SS's

72 posts in this topic

Ok, everyone thought I was crazy for suggesting a second rating system, and they probably have a point, considering how subjective grading is and how much that can affect value. But I also know that for my taste, it matters where the book is signed and by whom. Scribbling Gene Colan across the title of a book seems clumsy to me and in my opinion detracts from the artistic value of the Iron Man #1, even if it is a 9.8. No offense intended to the owner of that book, but I'd rather have the lower grade and well-placed signature if I intend to ever actually look at it. I have a 9.4 Stan Lee CGC SS Iron Man #1 that I like better, even though from the grading standpoint, it is worth at least $1000 less than the 9.8.

Some people are great at sig placement ,well others really dont care.I noticed most artist place thier sigs in a place that does not take away from thier artwork ,well writers tend to put their sigs anyplace.

I think if you hassled the artist about where to sign they would be less interested in signing books.Some of these guys are in thier 70s and 80s .Do you really expect them to sit their for hours and sign every book in the "perfect" spot?

It would be nice but not realistic.

Guest Grails

No offense taken. It was my request to have Gene "scribble" across the word IRON leaving the art of the cover untouched. I prefer all my Marvel SS books signed right across the title. Just personal preference. Another one of my preferences is that the signer had to have worked directly on the book. Writer or artist.