• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking open CGC Graded Cases to get SS's

72 posts in this topic

hm I'm probably going to do it..... I'm about 99.9% sure that I'm going to attend the B-moore con. Should I just bring the book and hire a witness or submit to someone. This is going to be my first submission so I'm trying to school myself.....

I've had books go both ways--some up, some down, although I've had a lot more go down than go up. My most frustrating experience cracking open a book was a blue label Amazing Spider-Man #94 that I had signed by Stan Lee, John Romita and Sal Buscema. While it held its grade, it received the dreaded "restored" designation. When I called CGC about it, the response basically was that just because they missed it the first time doesn't mean that they will ignore it the second time.

While cracking out books is pretty easy, if you don't have any experience doing it, it's best to let the "pros" (such as the Sig Series witness you are using) handle it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that on higher quality books (9.8 and 9.6), the signature can also affect the grade. As such, if you have a book that is otherwise a 9.8 or 9.6, if the signature is not clean (for example, smeared), CGC will knock the book down a notch, so you end up with a 9.6 or 9.4. An unfortunate example of this is a Captain America #100 that is currently listed on eBay (link below). It began as a 9.8 (which made it a $4,000+ book), and ended up as a 9.6 ($1,750+ unsigned) because Stan Lee crossed out his signature when he realized he did not have enough space to complete his signature and then signed in a different place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CGC-9-6-Captain-America-100-Stan-Lee-Signature-Series_W0QQitemZ160270072331QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160270072331&_trkparms=72%3A1073|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

An unfortunate example of this is a Captain America #100 that is currently listed on eBay (link below). It began as a 9.8 (which made it a $4,000+ book), and ended up as a 9.6 ($1,750+ unsigned) because Stan Lee crossed out his signature when he realized he did not have enough space to complete his signature and then signed in a different place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CGC-9-6-Captain-America-100-Stan-Lee-Signature-Series_W0QQitemZ160270072331QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160270072331&_trkparms=72%3A1073|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

Yikes, I can't believe Stan did that :eek:

An unfortunate example of this is a Captain America #100 that is currently listed on eBay (link below). It began as a 9.8 (which made it a $4,000+ book), and ended up as a 9.6 ($1,750+ unsigned) because Stan Lee crossed out his signature when he realized he did not have enough space to complete his signature and then signed in a different place.

Agreed. It's horrifying to see that!

On another note in regards to cracking graded books, it really boils down to how much you want to do it or not.

Before cracking the book or handing the book over to someone to be cracked out, check to see if it may have been overgraded (it happens). Think about whether or not you want to invest the money in getting it signed and regraded. It really depends on who you want signing the book and if you think it's worth it to do so.

Thanks for the info..... since I will be at the B-moore con. How do you distinguish witnesses? Do they have a special button or whatnot. I'd rather meet with a witness in person and give them the book instead of sending it off...

Before cracking the book or handing the book over to someone to be cracked out, check to see if it may have been overgraded (it happens).

Wow.........just........wow.

It's really not even about the actual books any more is it? It's about a number on a plastic case. Pathetic.

No kidding.I respect what Stan has done for the biz.But if he did that to my book I'd be freakin pissed!

Any bad/good experiences in doing so?? Books coming back graded as less?? I'm thinking about doing so and was wondering if anyone has any past experiences that they are willing to post. Thanks.....

I have had books stay the same and a few drop (none more than 0.2).I have even had books sent with White pages come back with OW-W and OW-W pages come back as just plain White pages (shrug) So there is no guarntee the book will come back the same.But I'll tell you one thing, the SS witnesses I have dealt with are true pros and I have no doubt in mind they take extreme care of the book they are working with.They are a great bunch of guys and you should have no worries handing your books over to them.

Thanks for the info..... since I will be at the B-moore con. How do you distinguish witnesses? Do they have a special button or whatnot. I'd rather meet with a witness in person and give them the book instead of sending it off...

We do accept "full service" (where we obtain the autographs for customers) Signature Series requests at the CGC booth at shows like the Baltimore Comicon, although you can make arrangements with a Witness in advance to meet and they will handle these for you (and you may have already been contacted by some already).

Before cracking the book or handing the book over to someone to be cracked out, check to see if it may have been overgraded (it happens).

Wow.........just........wow.

It's really not even about the actual books any more is it? It's about a number on a plastic case. Pathetic.

Dont forget money is involved, Brian :gossip:

We do accept "full service" (where we obtain the autographs for customers) Signature Series requests at the CGC booth at shows like the Baltimore Comicon, although you can make arrangements with a Witness in advance to meet and they will handle these for you (and you may have already been contacted by some already).

Is "full service" on the tier paying scale?? If not how much will a full service run at B-moore.

hm

At this time, full service costs the same for SS as "I'm in line and I need a Witness to come with me" service (better name pending lol).

Prices are not posted because they may vary by request, but the basic one autograph modern tier CGC booth SS price is $27 and go up from there.

Before cracking the book or handing the book over to someone to be cracked out, check to see if it may have been overgraded (it happens). Think about whether or not you want to invest the money in getting it signed and regraded. It really depends on who you want signing the book and if you think it's worth it to do so.

That's definitely key - I have a Sandman #1 CGC 9.8 that I wanted to get signed by Gaiman at SDCC, but upon close inspection, I'm not sure it's going to hold the grade if it gets cracked out. Ended up sending in a #8 CGC 9.8 instead that looked like a "true" 9.8.

Still crossing my fingers, though - it's totally nervewracking :)

If you want to use a witness, you can find out who they are in several different ways. One is to call CGC and ask for a few names. Two is to simply state on the boards that you are looking for a witness and usually a witness will find you or three while at the show, ask Kevin who is at the show witness wise and to point them out to you. Most witnesses are around the CGC booth during a show anyway. So it shouldn't be hard to find one. Hope that helps.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

p.s. We are witnesses and we will be at the show and we have handled books for many of the people posting on the boards and in this thread. lol Just thought I would mention that. You can PM us if interested.