• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Saturday Lunch

51 posts in this topic

Brian . Me and the wife are in. She is dying for crabcakes when we go to B'More. And since we cant attend the dinner, we will be there for the lunch.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys..

Others, not so much.

Im joking btw.

I'm probably going to be busy, so don't count on me. But, if my time gets freed up, can I be a party crasher?

Good question... I'd like to join in is as well provided I have not discovered a plethera of NM or better bronze books and can't leave at that moment.

Brian, do you need a pretty solid body count for the reservations?

I'm probably going to be busy, so don't count on me. But, if my time gets freed up, can I be a party crasher?

Good question... I'd like to join in is as well provided I have not discovered a plethera of NM or better bronze books and can't leave at that moment.

Brian, do you need a pretty solid body count for the reservations?

I'll make the reservations with a plus two count.

Well, I just discovered that the Legal in Baltimore has apparently closed, so reservations are being made at Phillips Seafood (where Dave Matteini, Gene and I ate at our very first b-more con trip)... Here's what I have so far:

myself

my wife

my friend mary ann + 1

namisgr (bob siman)

Sal

Comcasthawk

Mr and Mrs. Grinder

Resurrection + wife

maybe: bronzebruce and innocuous, will also talk to Borock to see if he can join us, but that's only a maybe.

That's 13 total -- I am going to make a reservation for 14 today. If you want in, you need to let me know by the end of the week.

Incidentally, reservations for 14 have now been made under my name. We will meet at either the CGC booth (or some other location that I will pre determine) at 12:40 PM to walk over to Phillips, which is on the inner harbor.

If you would like to be added or need to drop off, please let me know as soon as you can. Nothing worse than last minute adjustments that I end up being on the hook for.

I'll firm up my commitment if not doing so could cause you a problem Brian.

Just curious, in a situation like this... if you make reservations for say 15 people and only 8-10 show... what would the restaurant do? I know on the larger forum dinners its a definitive "by the head count" situation you commit to, but with smaller reservations do they want x amount of $ for the missing reservees?... or do they just say "no tables for you"?

(shrug)

The reality is they will seat the 8-10 people, and unless it's a total collapse, it shouldn't be a problem. In NYC, because there were several last minute drop outs and I had to guarantee a head count, I ended up footing the difference of the bill on my own.

That sucks Brian... and none of those guys contacted you to repay your "out of pocket" loss? If not, that's beyond lame... especially without a phone call and good explanation. That's the very least they should do... followed with an apology and immediate compensation.

:sumo:

It's part of the risk, unfortunately, that gets built in with organizing these dinners. Rich is having it at his house, so if he overshoots, he can just keep the leftovers etc., and the base cost is distributed.

I can afford to absorb the loss, but who really wants to? In this case, I should have numbers more quickly and be able to firm it up. I was enthusiastic about organizing a Philly WW dinner for just that reason.

I probably will organize next year's NY dinner and if I get stuck again, that will be the last big dinner I organize. On the other hand, I attend them irregularly now because there are competing things usually that I like to do. Chicago's dinner is really the best one.

Well, you've done us all a service by taking on this hassle repeatedly. Sorry you got nailed in NY. I'd have a hard time not letting some of the "no shows" know that it was not cool and cost me $$ if it happened to me.

Anyway, please allow me to pick up you and your wife's tab for lunch as a "thank you" for all the efforts you've made making my and many other forumites' con experiences far more pleasant and hassle-free.

See you in Baltimore if not before.