• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarce High Grade ASM 28 CGC 9.0 !!!

113 posts in this topic

Why are people selling on the boards still using free email addresses? I thought the boards did not allow free addresses with registration.

CGC does crack down on free email address registration but they can't keep track of them all and do ask for help in being made aware of such domains. It's in the FAQ somewhere.

Thanks for the response General Zod. What I was referring to is somewhat related to this matter, but more a commentary on upholding systems of trust in the forums marketplace area. To be fair, lets first address a few facts. The first is that Arch (the boards) put in place a number of transparency safeguards to decrease shill account activity, and one of them was to compile a list of free email service providers (your typical hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc.), and these lists are only as useful as keeping up with any new ones that pop up. Your point about making the board administrators aware is a point well taken and I think that Arch does a great job keeping up in this regard. Now, as I understood it, members who had already registerred prior to these changes were allowed to keep those accounts linked to any free email accounts (grandfathered in so to speak).

What I am referring to instead speaks more to the emphasis being placed on new members to build reputation points to establish some system of trust in the marketplace area. This makes total sense. However, my comment refers specifically to the issue where longstanding members are using free email accounts as the only link back to them. In the recent weeks since returning to the boards, I've transacted with several board members who were selling comics in the forum selling only area. I did not recognize any of these sellers, but at least one referred to himself as a long-standing seller on the boards. So why is it acceptable to keep new sellers in line, and not do the same with longstanding sellers who engage new buyers into transactions where the buyer might not feel comfortable?

As hit on yesterday by drbanner, the selling format of first taker is a "seller tactic" and certainly doesn't help the matter I am presenting, as in each case, I was not aware that the invidual I had entered into a transaction with had a hotmail or yahoo email account until after I accepted to purchase (ie. please send payment to myemailaddy@hotmail.com).

While the idea of backing out from the deal had crossed my mind, I didn't want to appear to be an alarmist right from the get go, and decided to forgo what would otherwise seem an embarrassing situation. One opt-out would be to ask if the seller accepts money-order or bank draft, and in this way, you have something that links you back to the seller. But as most sellers request PayPal only, not having a traceable email puts the buyer in an unfair position, and bypasses one of the most fundamental elements of upholding consumer confidence. Having had much experience with PayPal (some good, some bad), I am also not entirely comfortable with falling back on PayPal to do good on a deal gone sour.

While the practice of asking the seller for their home address might make the seller feel uneasy about sharing their personal information, it is in my opinion that more sellers ought to look at it from the buyers point of view, and consider offering to share this information at the point of sale if they are using a free email account like hotmail, yahoo or gmail to accept payments or to communicate with buyers offline.

2c

Postal money orders. :cloud9:

When you cash them at the post office they write down your driver license info on it.

Very interesting - this is not a practice used here in Canada (as far as I know). I've only ever ordered Internataional Postal Money-Orders (red ones) and have never once been carded. hm

comicwiz,

Some very, very good points to bring up.

I strongly encourage you to copy and paste that post to the General Discussion thread so everyone else can look at that and perhaps foster some reform into how we do things around the Sales forum.

One thing I did want to mention, though, is that signing up with CGC/Collectors Society requires a paid email address (to the best of their knowledge), however, PayPal does not require that, thus the Yahoo/Hotmail addresses you may see bandied about. My PayPal is linked to my Hotmail address for a myriad of reasons and I actually only use my paid email account to access CGC and nothing else.

As for people disliking the PayPal fee, it's simple. Factor that into your selling price, always.

Thanks General Zod - I thought the discussion relayed well to this specific thread and that is why I decided to address it. I appreciate your encouragement, but I have some strong biases; if there is anyone else here who thinks its worth bringing it over and discussing it openly in the general section, I welcome it. For the time being, I think I'll use it as a bookmark for any future discussion that may arise from transacting with members who fall into this category.

I thank you all for listening to my rantrant

Wow, lots of discussion.

I didn't start out hating on the guy. I was just letting him know why someone might be hesitant to buy it (new person comes to the board, high dollar book, MO's only).

FWIW I hope he sells it and takes care of his needs. Its not in my collecting realm or affordability.

I understand moonlite - and I guess the one thought that ran through my mind is that a newb doesn't have the member allegiance to back them in matters concerning earning reputation points, or rallying to their support in such discussions. But in light of my recent experiences as a buyer, the fact that no one seemed to have thought of addressing some changes to the status quo as it pertains with longstanding members in the Forum Only Selling area (especially when ones weighs it against the exacting standards as hashed out to new sellers, or even in light of such rigid enforcement of dealers inappropriately wandering over to other sections), that I thought it was important to raise these concerns.

:D Hahahaha well i MIGHT be a 'newbie' to ya'll but after THIS post i'm SURE ya'll will remember me! :roflmao:

Started out tryn to sell my gem, and it turned into a site wide policy disaster! :makepoint:

Anyways, Just so EVERYONE knows, (Don't know if you care or not) I'm not harvesting any i'll will towards anyone :)

This is/was SUCH a learning experience! :grin:

Well, after an hour long phone call with the Noob, he seems like a very nice guy and pleasant and honest by nature. Its really hard being the new guy on the boards....Count was my first customer.....I will be his...isn't that how it works? Welcome to the boards Jeremy :foryou: