• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver age Marvel print runs

9 posts in this topic

Best reference I know of is the comic's buyer's guide by kraus publications. However, it doesn't look like they included print runs in their latest edition (or maybe they are still assembling?). For older stuff, if you can find an old copy, you're set.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_books2.php/book_id=11364368/

Also, if you can't find a copy, you can try to go to lonestar comics database. They occasionally list PRs as well.

The Standard Catalog published by Krause Publications lists a great deal of that information.It's a HUGE book.Comic publishers were required to print an ownership staement listing circulation figures from at least 1960 on.Most pre hero Marvels were around 140,000 to 180,000.The early superhero titles were in the 250,000 range until about 1965 / 1966 when several titles spiked upwards to the 330,000 range.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I have an Atlas western form the mid 50's with circulation figures...I'll try to dig it up later.

Great site but unfortunately the figures quoted are not accurate. Not the sites fault but probably because the publishers didn't report sales every single year.

I noticed on one year in the early 60's that Superman went from #1 to not even making the top 50 the next year and the highest ranking DC was Metal Men or something similar.

Also Spiderman & Fantastic Four numbers were included only after 1965 (1966), so it shows Life With Millie, TTA, TOS & ST outselling both FF & ASM ( those two titles started soaring big time in 1963-64 and never looked back).

But regardless this is still great info to have acess too. Thanks for sharing!!!!

The site does note where its rankings are missing data from publishers that did not include a Statement of Ownership in a given year. One might instead conclude that the numbers are right but the rankings generated from these numbers only reflect the data available.