• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Submission Form for eBay Users

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm presently a free member of the Collectors Society and am thinking about becoming a paid member. I went to the page that says Submit Comics Through One Of Our On Line Partners, and I went to the eBay link. It says that there is a 10% discount for eBay users each time a submission is made.

When I clicked on How to submit your comic books to CGC however, I was not given a special eBay CGC Submission Form, I was given the regular CGC form.

My questions are:

1) How do I find the CGC Submission Form for eBay Users?

2) I am in Canada and do not live near a Customs Office. Would they not have a downloadable Temporary Export Form available on the web? And where would I find it?

3) From looking over the CGC fees, it seems that the first choice is regarding how fast a customer wants the evaluation to be made? This governs how much he/she pays. Then it depends on whether he/she feels the book is worth more than the maximum shown in that category. If he/she feels it is, then he/she has to choose a higher, more expensive category. Right?

4) As a senior lady with medium computer knowledge and a fair number of comics from the early 1960's most in excellent to mint condition, I want to sell them and I want CGC grading on each, but I find the information very confusing regarding how to send the books, what to pay, where to get the form, whether to submit through a nearby store, etc. I live in a small town and any town with a CGC accepted store (i.e. Ottawa or Montreal Canada) is over 1 hour away from me.

Can you please guide me as to the best way I can submit my comics to CGC?

5) Is CGC coming to any conventions in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto or New York in the near future, i.e. between September and December 2008?

6) I did contact four stores in Ottawa,Montreal in 2005 but the information was so confusing that I didn't feel confident doing anything, and now here I am three years later still with all my comics ungraded and unsold.

Thanks so much for your help. kittycat54 Ontario Canada

1) eBay CGC submission form

3) The CGC pricing is dependant on the value of the books, the age of the books and how soon you want them back. For instance, any book published from 1975 onwards with a value of less than $200 can be graded under the "Modern" tier which is the cheapest tier available - the turn-around time on those is 20 business days. If you want them faster, they have a more expensive "Modern Fast Track" tier which drops it to 10 days.

As you move into older, more valuable books, it's basically just a matter of finding whatever tier suits your purpose the best - CGC is pretty nice about the values, though, so if, for instance, you submit a book under the Standard tier ($1000 max value) and the book actually ends up having a value of $1200, they will usually just let it slide & not force you to pay the higher cost of the Express tier.

4) I have to admit that when people claim their books are in "excellent to mint condition" warning flags immediately go up. "Mint" is a term reserved for books that would grade out as CGC 9.9's or CGC 10.0's, and I, for one, have only ever owned one CGC 9.9 book (and that was a modern book from the late 90s) in 15+ years of comic book collecting. Having a 1960s (silver age) comic book come back from CGC with a grade of 9.9 would be akin to finding the holy grail in a box in your attic - they are incredibly, insanely rare.

Before you send anything in to CGC, I would suggest that you post large, high-resolution scans of a couple of your best books in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" forum on this website - people here are very knowledgeable, and can quickly tell you not only the grade, but also whether it's worth it to send in the book at all.

Just because a book is from the 1960s does not mean that it's worth it to get it graded by CGC - for comic books, it's all about condition.

5) CGC Event Calendar

Before you send anything in to CGC, I would suggest that you post large, high-resolution scans of a couple of your best books in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" forum on this website - people here are very knowledgeable, and can quickly tell you not only the grade, but also whether it's worth it to send in the book at all.

Just because a book is from the 1960s does not mean that it's worth it to get it graded by CGC - for comic books, it's all about condition.

That is the best advice you can give anyone who is new and wants to buy or sell comics.

any book published from 1975 onwards with a value of less than $200 can be graded under the "Modern" tier

Hmm. How is the value of a book determined?

Well, try to give your book a grade somewhat stricter than Overstreet's standards, then go with maybe 0-15% over what Overstreet lists for that grade price-wise.