• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF DOES CANADA POST CHARGE LESS TO SHIP ITEMS EXPITED POST THAN REGULAR POST

12 posts in this topic

I went to ahip a CGC comic to someone in USA and it was to cost me $9.95

whewn I asked how much more to ship it with tracking lady said $9.60 would send it expidited with tracking number and up $100 worth of insurance..

What the [!@#%^&^] is up with that... Makes no sence 893frustrated.gif

makepoint.gifshy.gifstooges.gifforeheadslap.gif893whatthe.gif

whewn I asked how much more to ship it with tracking lady said $9.60 would send it expidited with tracking number and up $100 worth of insurance..

Yeah, it's weird. The $9.95 rate is the 'small packet' rate and it gets their air-mail - no insurance, no tracking, but it does get there faster. The 'Expedited Parcel' is the equivalent to surface delivery which tacks on 4-7 business days. It's fine if you're shipping just south of the border, but if you're sending to California - it takes a lot longer. The Expedited rate does vary from region - and it will cost slightly more the further you send it. Hope this helps!

I believe that they may have quoted you a wrong amount. $9.95 sounds right for uninsured airmail to the US. However, expedited mail is not available for small packages. One CGC book will be under the weight limit for a regular parcel. The last time I used expedited was to send 2 CGC books to Bonds and it cost me over $10. The only way that I believe you can send a small package to the US is either by XPRESSPOST or to register the package. Registering costs way too much! 893frustrated.gif

I believe that they may have quoted you a wrong amount. $9.95 sounds right for uninsured airmail to the US. However, expedited mail is not available for small packages. One CGC book will be under the weight limit for a regular parcel. The last time I used expedited was to send 2 CGC books to Bonds and it cost me over $10. The only way that I believe you can send a small package to the US is either by XPRESSPOST or to register the package. Registering costs way too much! 893frustrated.gif

You can send small packages under 1kg through the Expedited rate if you request it, but I think it has to have minimum dimensions. I pretty much send all single CGC books in a Diamond box by Expedited parcel. It's great being able to track it on-line (even if it takes them a long time to update the site).

You can send small packages under 1kg through the Expedited rate if you request it, but I think it has to have minimum dimensions. I pretty much send all single CGC books in a Diamond box by Expedited parcel. It's great being able to track it on-line (even if it takes them a long time to update the site).

Mmmm....I may have to ask next time. I was never given this option before except for heavier packages. It would help with my shipping quotes. Can you insure it for up to $1K as with XPRESSPOST? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, you can send expedited if you ask them to, but you should really only be doing that if someone asks for insurance, otherwise it is better to send by air.

If the box is considered a "small package" and is under 1 kg, then they will charge you an extra $9.00 CDN for the insurance. So it isn't really worth it to send this way. If you are sending one book, and someone requests insurance on it, then put it in a large box and make sure it weighs over 1 kg, then you can send it expedited without paying the extra $9.00 for insurance, but still be covered.

Alex

Yes, you can send expedited if you ask them to, but you should really only be doing that if someone asks for insurance, otherwise it is better to send by air.

If the box is considered a "small package" and is under 1 kg, then they will charge you an extra $9.00 CDN for the insurance. So it isn't really worth it to send this way. If you are sending one book, and someone requests insurance on it, then put it in a large box and make sure it weighs over 1 kg, then you can send it expedited without paying the extra $9.00 for insurance, but still be covered.

Alex

OK...that explains why I am not usually offered the expedited method for packages less than 1 kg, as it would be cheaper to send it via XPRESSPOST! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mmmm....I may have to ask next time. I was never given this option before except for heavier packages. It would help with my shipping quotes. Can you insure it for up to $1K as with XPRESSPOST? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As far as I know, yes! The first $100 is included and it's a $1 for each extra $100.

As far as I know, yes! The first $100 is included and it's a $1 for each extra $100.

That sounds right.

As for insuring with expresspost, I am not sure. I never send anything worth that much by mail. You might want to stick with the couriers for that. confused-smiley-013.gif

That sounds right.

As for insuring with expresspost, I am not sure. I never send anything worth that much by mail. You might want to stick with the couriers for that. confused-smiley-013.gif

XPRESSPOST is $100 insurance included and $1 per additional $100 up to a total of $1,000 insurance.

I was going to send the itme regular mail.

Since it was a CGC'd comic I sold for $96 I wanted coverage in case something happened or he said he never got it.

I asked about tracking and she mentioned expidited and its lower rate and insurance. SO I said gimmie. The rest is history

In the last 8 months (possibly even up to a year), CanadaPost has been very aggressive in its campaign to get its customers to use XpressPost service. They have eliminated Air Mail service, and replaced it with XpressPost service. In doing so, and to avoid all the complaints from its customer-base, they had to harmonize the costs, and match the amount someone would normally pay for Air Mail.

This also means you can only send something ground mail, or XpressPost.

This is good for someone who likes the tracking and insurance element of XpressPost. Espcially in light of all the changes with PayPal's payment protection plan (PPP), and their recent initiatives in confirming Canadian residents. In order to be eligible for PayPal's PPP, you need to have a tracking number of the package you sent out.

CanadaPosts changes has got its pro's and cons. I like XpressPost because it offers insurance at an affordable price (I believe its 50 cents for every $100, up to a maximum of $1000 US). I used to use it almost exclusively anyway, so the harmonization by way of eliminating Air Mail service actually works better for me, because I'm actually paying less for XpressPost service than I did a year ago. I also like it because the tracking alone serves as a form of signature delivery confirmation. You can track via the web, or through their toll-free line. The biggest plus, as greggy pointed out, is that XpressPost is MUCH cheaper than registerred mail, and is literally as effective whether or not you decide to pay the extra buck for signature delivery confirmation.

What I don't like about it is; you are almost forced to pay for insurance (comes with US $100 coverage), even if you don't need it. Also, the elimination of Air Mail service really only leaves you with two options: ground mail, which will most likely translate into the reciever ending up with a destroyed parcel, no matter how good you are at packing (want to send a cracked slab to someone, send it ground); and the other, that XpressPost is really nothing more than a glorified and expensive Media Mail service with internet tracking, and insurance. This is especially the case when USPS recieves an XpressPost package. XpressPost boasts a 2-3 day delivery anywhere in N.A. However, when a parcel is destined for a US address, USPS DOES NOT handle it as an expedited package. An inherent flaw in the very design of the product, as USPS and CanadaPosts systems do not talk to one another. And its remotely worth mentioning that you'll need more than good luck in ever getting a cent from CanadaPost on a claim for loss or damage with the insurance you pay for with the XpressPost service. Not to sound totally negative, but I have heard cases where it has taken up to a year or more to get your money. And get ready for some serious due dilligence in presenting your case.

If you do a considerable amount of business through PayPal, use XpressPost. Otherwise, ground mail is a decent alternative, but not the kind of service with which to rest the satisfaction of your buyers.