• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"How not to store collectibles" or "When water and autographs meet"

24 posts in this topic

:cry:

So, the other day, my wife asks me to pull out her Audrey Hepburn autograph to get it re-framed...the frame had cracked a while back as we were moving...I put the autographs in a box with some other autographs, cells, etc... When we moved in, I didn't have room for all my autographs to be displayed as my brother was moving in with us. So I took some boxes out of the garage, where I felt the temperature fluctuations would be too extreme (3 total, 1 with framed autographs, one with baseball/football cards (2000-2001)and one with non-sports cards...MTG, Illuminati (loved this game) and some other random stuff and put them in a crawl space.

Well, the crawl space had a leak...not a lot of water, but a few slow drips that cascaded down a bagged up mini-Christmas tree and hit 3 different boxes...I don't know if I could duplicate this effect if I tried...

No, I don't have collectible insurance today...I can assure you, I'll have it by tomorrow...

Here are some pics :sorry:

The first one is an Audrey Hepburn autograped photo from My Fair Lady (one of my wifes favorite movies)

The second is a cast signed mini-poster of the Usual Suspects (one of my favorite movies)

The third is....indistinguishable...if you can guess it, you win an autographed 8x10 with some moisture damage :insane:

AudreyHepburn.jpg[/img]

Photo2UsualSuspects.jpg[/img]

And the worst of them all (or maybe not, as I can't recall what it was???...maybe it's better that way (shrug))

Photo1.jpg[/img]

I am working on pulling everything out to see what is salvageable...my 1986 team photo of the Mets signed by 95% of the team was slightly damaged by Lenny Dykstra's autograph...the photo is sticking to the glass, but the autograph is not smudges...looks like I won't be reframing this one...lol...my Hair Raising Hare cell seems to be OK other than the matting having some staining...

Sucks... :sorry:

So that's not glass on the top?

No, it's glass...the clearer part is where the photo is sticking to the glass...the glass is not damaged, just looks weird in the scan...the outer parts have the paper curling back and mold growing on that part of the paper

wow... brutal...

I tossed a deck of MTG into the washing machine once...

LoA, all Beta stuff... duals, Icy, Time Walk... you know...

ouch.

water sucks.

Sorry to see those relatively irreplaceable things get assraped by a dripping Christmas tree. :(

wow... brutal...

ouch.

water sucks.

Sorry to see those relatively irreplaceable things get assraped by a dripping Christmas tree. \:\(

Ohhh...that hurts...losing Beta magic is tough...have you seen the prices lately??? :o

Originally Posted By: Schmakt
wow... brutal...

ouch.

water sucks.

Sorry to see those relatively irreplaceable things get assraped by a dripping Christmas tree. \:\(

Ohhh...that hurts...losing Beta magic is tough...have you seen the prices lately??? \:o

yeah... i got out 3 months too early... sold my MINT Lotus for about $600, which was FMV... a few months later, it had practically doubled. Ouch.hm... so at least I guess you didn't lose too much of an investment!And those things look pretty freakin cool actually... all things considered...

...the glass is not damaged, just looks weird in the scan...the outer parts have the paper curling back and mold growing on that part of the paper

Wow, that is one weird optical illusion, as I could swear there's a hole in the middle.

Originally Posted By: BigHulkFan
 Originally Posted By: Schmakt
wow... brutal...

ouch.

water sucks.

Ohhh...that hurts...losing Beta magic is tough...have you seen the prices lately??? \:o

yeah... i got out 3 months too early... sold my MINT Lotus for about $600, which was FMV... a few months later, it had practically doubled. Ouch.

hm... so at least I guess you didn't lose too much of an investment!

And those things look pretty freakin cool actually... all things considered...

I got out way too early...after fallen empires and homelands I figured Magic was almost done...I sold my mint beta lotus for $65.00 :sick: I was wrong meh

Originally Posted By: BigHulkFan
...the glass is not damaged, just looks weird in the scan...the outer parts have the paper curling back and mold growing on that part of the paper

Wow, that is one weird optical illusion, as I could swear there's a hole in the middle.

No doubt. Looks like it was melted rather than water damage. That really bites man. I can tell you living in Florida paper items can be ruined just on the ambient humidity. Some days you can "feel" the air, it literally sticks to you. I had to build a room in my garage and run a duct to it so I could properly store comics without them sticking to one another or wrinkling.

Originally Posted By: joe_collector
news.gifMAGIC NERD ALERT!! news.gif

Nothing wrong with Magic...the best Collectible Card game ever!

Are these cards really worth that much? I have boxes of them in the warehouse.

Originally Posted By: joeypost
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header"> Originally Posted By: joe_collector</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're like Valiants - a few bring big $$$, but most are worthless. </div></div><br /><br />Is there a list of the ones that bring the bigger $$$$?

PM sent

(thumbs u