• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keyword spamming

49 posts in this topic

Well, this is an unsubstantiated rumor/comment I heard online, but it did make sense. Most people thought he got the boot for keyword spamming, but it was stated that he actually got NRU'ed for listing so many VG and F books, while still having that "I am selling a large collection of comics, the majority of which are NM" auction description.

In fact, few of his books for sale were NM and I assume some buyers (who didn't read all the way through) got ticked and complained.

It makes sense, since BB is selling again under another name, and everything is unchanged EXCEPT that "majority of books are NM' comment in his description.

I don't believe a seller was allowed to advertise in their auctions that they would conditionally accept paypal (via Credit Card) unless a charge was paid even before Ebay took over paypal.

Now that Ebay runs the show, that auction, and all others asking for compensation will be shut down if Ebay sees it or its reported.

You have to do what Jason Ewert and others do... say you accept Paypal Balance and Bank Fund Payments via a Paypal "Personal Account" and ask to be emailed for permission to use a Credit Card... at that point you will be asked to pay the 3% if you chose that form.

I understand people wanting to minimize their fees as they add up in a hurry.

Obvious Tangent... grin.gif

What I do, and have been suggesting to friends and customers for some time is to maintain BOTH a Paypal "PERSONAL" (Bank Funds & Paypal Balance) Account as well as a "PREMIER" account (which allow the Credit Card payment with fees). At least then you can potentially save fees when a buyer is willing or able to send funds in that manner. Also, friends can swap cash without fees through their "Personal" accounts... that comes in handy too.

Another tip... If you don't like to keep cash sitting as Paypal Balance because of past horror stories (ask Jeff- Jordanabilgail) of random or unjustified account freezes, always transfer your cash into your bank account. If you are paid with a credit card to your "Premiere" account... just pay (transfer) it your "Personal" account (no fees) and then transfer the money to your bank account. Of course you could just transfer funds from your "Premiere account" directly to your bank account too... BUT if you prefer to keep all your comic related funds in one bank account, not two... then keeping it in the "Premiere" linked bank account is not the best move. Use the Personal... because if you want to transfer funds from the "Personal" to your "Premiere", you WILL incur fees even though the funds may be paypal balance. A Premiere account will be billed regardless of the source.

Tip #2.. paypal charges a $5.00 fee for US Paypal usertes to receive overseas Paypal Payments. It's not disclosed anywhere obvious or brokedown, but if you've noticed that the fee was more than 2.9%... that's why.

Thought that may help someone

I have accepted international paypal payments, and have not been charged 5 dollars. Where on paypal does it say that?

And I might as well ask you, what the hell is keyword spamming? I have had plenty of listings where I list each book title, the number of each book I am listing, etc. (have sold thousands of raw comics on Ebay since Oct. of last year), and never had anyone accuse me having too much info in my auction TOS.

If you list all of your current auctions in each and every separate auction, you'll likely get them all deleted and risk a NRU. EBay used to be lax about this kind of thing, but lately I've noticed all the lamers doing this have had their auctions deleted extremely quickly.

I have a feeling that EBay did a study and found that people rendering their search engine useless (as in searching for Hulk 181) and coming up with hundreds of "keyword spamming" listings (as in "I'm selling issues like Hulk 330, Marvel tales 181, etc.) costs them big bucks in lost sales.

Back to Barginbox... I bought a few unslabbed books from him that were listed as NM. When they arrived, they were indeed NM.

What is his new username?

All's I know is I've accepted a payment from the UK last month and from Canada last night and in both instances the fee was over 2.9% + .30¢. Both had a mysterious extra charge in the amount of $5 and change.

Screw It... I just looked into it since I want to be thorough.

Check this link and the small print. Turns out it's not $5.00 but 1% extra.

This makes sense now as both my deals were between $500 and $600.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/fees-outside

==================================================================

Fees

If you receive a payment from a user in another country, an additional cross border fee will be charged. The cross border fee is an additional 1% for U.S. Dollar payments and .5% for Euro and Pound Sterling payments. This fee is currently waived for Canadian sellers receiving payments from U.S. buyers.

==================================================================