• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 100 CGC 9.8 -- feedback needed on this scan

6 posts in this topic

Check out this baby!!! This is one of the sweetest ASM books I have seen in the 100ish range -- however does the upper left hand side border of this book bother anyone ?? I realize this kind of issue has come up countless times, but clearly the side is not straight and than becomes perfectly straight on the way down -- if the whole side was off alignment in this fashion, would it be worse or better???? Not trying to be tick tacky, but after all we are talking a CGC best on this thing at 9.8.

cgcasm100c.jpg

IMO, from what I've noticed from CGC books I've gotten graded or you guys point out here, miswraps don't factor into the grade as much as the structural integrity of the book itself.

From my own collection:

Courtesy of greggy and his mind boggling high grade earning atrocities...

marvelfeature2cgc96.jpg

and even my recent 'HAve a cigar" 30 cent variant acquisition, the cover is not perfectly centered, yet earns an "elite high grade" (9.6 and up, for the non-elite wink.gif )" :

conan61varcgc98.jpg

Now would it be better to be miswrapped all the way down the spine to the same extent...I wouldn't go so far as to not buying the ASM 100 just based on that, as I'm more of a condition freak...but to each their own. It would definitely be less noticeable as the whole cover is "off" by the same degree.

Yo, I bought it from Jason Ewert. But...the bigger fool is you because you bought it from me! shocked.gif

But you pimped it out to be as good as your sweet sweet short shorts... I was lured by the mere mention of CGC 9.6 Top Census... You hit ne where you knew it would hurt makepoint.gif

It's honestly a tough call? too many variables...based on my own experience - I've paid $25 - $35 for Defenders later issues (50-152) in CGC 9.8 and same with Simonson Thors (337-up) in same grade.

With newer books I prefer to take chances with my own stock and prescreen to CGC and then books average cost end up being $20 - $25 per...

taking those numbers we are looking at 7x - 10x guide (cover price) for these particular books I mentioned

When we go back to bronze, silver and golden age and also take into account proven keys, you'll start seeing multiples around the same range (7 - 10) but now we are talking in the $100's on NM unslabbed guide?

You have some collectors that WILL pay silly money on the 9.8s of THEIR particular genre they are collecting. If you get 2 strong interested parties with money to burn on an auction, you've just seen the recipe for a record sale.