• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote - How much would ACTION #1 Dentist Copy sell for in an auction?

In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?

410 posts in this topic

Originally Posted By: delekkerste
I highly doubt this book would be leaving the inner circle of the hobby. Just because there are many out there in this day and age with the means to outbid anyone in this hobby, doesn't mean they have enough desire to lay out stupid money to outbid the usual suspects.

I think there is a 50% chance it would be sld to a non-comic collector. And an even greater chance it would be sold to someone like Jerry Seinfeld, who is a lifelong Superman fan, but not a comic collector (to my knowledge).

I used to have teh splash to Superman #158.. a top example it was $5000 at the time - about 12-13 years agoDavid M told me Jerry was interested in it, so I made up an animation with Jerry & Myself where Jerry pokes his head in to the picture in response to me calling his name. Jerry's head begins & shake & explodes with the Superman splash bursting from his head so he could see the art and I emailed teh link to DavidDavid saw it and told me he cracked up. Then he called Jerry over.Jerry is supposed to be a comedian.. Comdeians are supposed to like funny things.Jerry looked at it. Told David I was a *spooning spoon* and *spoon* himIf Jerry wouldn't buy that page.. and he does collect to some degree.. then he isn't spending $2mil on Action #1and by the way, to the guy with the "son" story.. Dave's son likes comics

Originally Posted By: dekeuk
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header"> Originally Posted By: Mutie Fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">< it is about a 9.2 but that it has been restored (color touch I think). </div></div><br /><br />I thought color touch was NOT considered restoration as long as it was done on a Church comic. Doesn't CGC slab Church comics with color touch in an unrestored slab and then note the color touch on the label?

As long as its a minor amount, a church book (or any ga book really) would get a blue label. but a church could still get a purple label for a greater amount of ct.

That being said some people like to think for themselves and consider it restoration whether or not cgc puts it in a blue holder.

I guess that's the magic question, is it "blue label unrestored" or just "truly unrestored". And how much differently would those two possibilities be priced.

Ahhhh....now we are getting somewhere. ;)At what point does Pedigree / Provenance prove to trump condition / other factors? Who here would rather have the Church Action #1 if it was "Universal 9.2 OW very minor color touch" on the label, VS. a "9.0 Universal OW non-pedigree with no graders notes"? Now that's a good "which one would you choose?" !

I would assume most of the MH key copies are unslabbed.Why get them graded if you arent selling.The seasoned collectors know how to grade.If and when it becomes time to sell im reasonably sure it will be slabbed(ala AA 16).

Dennis

Why get them graded? Well I guess I was looking at it this way, because an insufficiently_thoughtful_person like myself might drop it. I suppose you can have it locked away somewhere, but I have to think if you have a 5 million dollar book, you dont mess around with it. You get the thing graded fast. Its like if you were to have the rarest coin in the world. Do you flip it through your fingers?

est value...2.5 to 4.0 mil

David has told me that it is as high grade as any of the very best Mile Highs

Indeed it is the Mile High copy

There is no evidence ever shown or proving the book to be restored of any kind.It is just rumor and speculation.Dave has said it is unrestored..

The book is raw

the book says church on it[written very small[near the action logo]

page quality is white [i am told]

Daves sons name is Adam

sold in early eighties directly from chuck[ j.s working as broker

25k along with action 1 to 23

larson is a 6.5 to 7.0

Allentown had no Action 1

Highest blue label cgc graded are 8.5[the rusted staple copy] 7.5[minor resto] and two 6.5 unrestored copies one which has 25 written on the cover and is owned by eric roberts,the other yours truely action1kid.

a restored book can be in a blue holder provided it is very minor and I mean very minor like the 7.5 copy on the census.

est value...2.5 to 4.0 mil

David has told me that it is as high grade as any of the very best Mile Highs

Indeed it is the Mile High copy

There is no evidence ever shown or proving the book to be restored of any kind.It is just rumor and speculation.Dave has said it is unrestored..

The book is raw

the book says church on it[written very small[near the action logo]

page quality is white [i am told]

Daves sons name is Adam

sold in early eighties directly from chuck[ j.s working as broker

25k along with action 1 to 23

larson is a 6.5 to 7.0

Allentown had no Action 1

Highest blue label cgc graded are 8.5[the rusted staple copy] 7.5[minor resto] and two 6.5 unrestored copies one which has 25 written on the cover and is owned by eric roberts,the other yours truely action1kid.

a restored book can be in a blue holder provided it is very minor and I mean very minor like the 7.5 copy on the census.

Man, thanks for the info--that was thorough. Does J.S. the broker stand for John Snyder?

I wouldnt grade it for 2 reasons.

If its worth 5 mill I wouldnt risk handling it what so ever.Would you?

AND FORGET TRANSIT ALL TOGETHER

And lastly, the mystique would be gone by certifying it.

I see it as the opposite ..... please elaborate

I wouldnt grade it for 2 reasons.

If its worth 5 mill I wouldnt risk handling it what so ever.Would you?

AND FORGET TRANSIT ALL TOGETHER

And lastly, the mystique would be gone by certifying it.

I see it as the opposite ..... please elaborate
Well maybe your right. Just my worthless opinion/

I personally think it is a 1.5 million dollar book. Yes Amazing Fantasy 15 has doubled in price. But the fact remains that there is no public record of any comic ever selling for 1 million dollars ever. I truly believe that many of you would pay 5 million dollars if you had the money. But unfortunately you don't have the money. Fact is I don't think anyone in this hobby has that kind of money. Here is the thing. Rich people don't collect comics. It is not their culture. Rich people almost always hang out with rich people not poor people. Fellow rich people would laugh at a rich person spending 1 million dollars for a "Funny Book." Nick Cage was one of the few comic collectors that actually became rich. But in a very short time he sold off his collection. Why is that? Because he realized that the people he now hung out with could care less about that stuff. Seems like all a rich person cares about are trips around the world, partying, fine paintings, huge diamonds, gold, acquiring businesses, and the finest of cars. Everything else is meaningless to them.

I personally think it is a 1.5 million dollar book. Yes Amazing Fantasy 15 has doubled in price. But the fact remains that there is no public record of any comic ever selling for 1 million dollars ever. I truly believe that many of you would pay 5 million dollars if you had the money. But unfortunately you don't have the money. Fact is I don't think anyone in this hobby has that kind of money. Here is the thing. Rich people don't collect comics. It is not their culture. Rich people almost always hang out with rich people not poor people. Fellow rich people would laugh at a rich person spending 1 million dollars for a "Funny Book." Nick Cage was one of the few comic collectors that actually became rich. But in a very short time he sold off his collection. Why is that? Because he realized that the people he now hung out with could care less about that stuff. Seems like all a rich person cares about are trips around the world, partying, fine paintings, and the finest of cars. Everything else is meaningless to them.

I disagree with just about everything you said ...but hey...that's OK (thumbs u

Originally Posted By: homerwannabee
I personally think it is a 1.5 million dollar book. Yes Amazing Fantasy 15 has doubled in price. But the fact remains that there is no public record of any comic ever selling for 1 million dollars ever. I truly believe that many of you would pay 5 million dollars if you had the money. But unfortunately you don't have the money. Fact is I don't think anyone in this hobby has that kind of money. Here is the thing. Rich people don't collect comics. It is not their culture. Rich people almost always hang out with rich people not poor people. Fellow rich people would laugh at a rich person spending 1 million dollars for a "Funny Book." Nick Cage was one of the few comic collectors that actually became rich. But in a very short time he sold off his collection. Why is that? Because he realized that the people he now hung out with could care less about that stuff. Seems like all a rich person cares about are trips around the world, partying, fine paintings, and the finest of cars. Everything else is meaningless to them.

I disagree with just about everything you said ...but hey...that's OK \(thumbs u

Really, name one billionaire that collects comic books? I won't hold my breath.

well

Mark Hamill owned the Allentown Tec 27

Migel ferrer owned a Tec 27[blown up with a grenade in robocop]

Billy Mumy owns key goldenage

Geppi owns[well we all know]

Eric Roberts owns key goldenage

Many a Rock star own vintage comics

charlie sheen had an Action 1