• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote - How much would ACTION #1 Dentist Copy sell for in an auction?

In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?

410 posts in this topic

People around here have suggested the Dentist has rejected offers of $1 and $2 million for his ACTION #1, the best copy of the most important comic in history.

Since it will probably never be sold (his son will inherit it), I figured we could speculate on what it might get in an auction.

Don't forget a billionaire non-comic collector (i.e. Bill Gates, Richard Branson, Donald Trump, Steve Jobs, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Google founders, Facebook founder, etc.) could come out of the woodwork and bid in such a scenario. Bill Gates paid $15 million years ago for Leonardo DaVinci's notebook.

People around here have suggested the Dentist has rejected offers of $1 and $2 million for his ACTION #1, the best copy of the most important comic in history.

Since it will probably never be sold (his son will inherit it), I figured we could speculate on what it might get in an auction.

Don't forget a billionaire non-comic collector (i.e. Bill Gates, Richard Branson, Donald Trump, Steve Jobs, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Google founders, Facebook founder, etc.) could come out of the woodwork and bid in such a scenario. Bill Gates paid $15 million years ago for Leonardo DaVinci's notebook.

I've heard people say that its a 9.4-9.6 :o:o:o

Since it will probably never be sold (his son will inherit it)

lol I love when I see comments like that, as the world is littered with kids feigning interest in something just to get control of it from an inheritance.

Never trust kids, ever. One of my friends had a family business (smelting/castings) worth a ton of money, and he kept telling us and his Dad how much he wanted to take it over. He went to college and got a related diploma/cert, went to work there, and even we were fooled. I know his father was.

Than the moment his Dad kicked off (his mother had died long ago) he sold that baby off for a few million and took off. Haven't seen him since, but damn he was a good actor.

lol

If this thing actually were to go to auction, would anyone here bet that the winner would be some rich billionaire and not a long-time, established, BSD collector? I highly doubt this book would be leaving the inner circle of the hobby. Just because there are many out there in this day and age with the means to outbid anyone in this hobby, doesn't mean they have enough desire to lay out stupid money to outbid the usual suspects.

Well, if the Wagner Card just sold for $2.8 million, which is the "holy grail for cards", i would guess, being that Action #1 is the only highest grade copy, it would fetch the same, if not more.

I dont think a super billionair would buy it. If they didnt buy the Wagner card why would they want Action #1?? (shrug)

I highly doubt this book would be leaving the inner circle of the hobby. Just because there are many out there in this day and age with the means to outbid anyone in this hobby, doesn't mean they have enough desire to lay out stupid money to outbid the usual suspects.

I think there is a 50% chance it would be sld to a non-comic collector. And an even greater chance it would be sold to someone like Jerry Seinfeld, who is a lifelong Superman fan, but not a comic collector (to my knowledge).

unanswerable question without more info:raw or graded?any restoration?technical grade?PQ?just being the Mile High copy is not enough to base value on a book .......my 2c

Quote:
Since it will probably never be sold (his son will inherit it)

lol I love when I see comments like that, as the world is littered with kids feigning interest in something just to get control of it from an inheritance.

Never trust kids, ever. One of my friends had a family business (smelting/castings) worth a ton of money, and he kept telling us and his Dad how much he wanted to take it over. He went to college and got a related diploma/cert, went to work there, and even we were fooled. I know his father was.

Than the moment his Dad kicked off (his mother had died long ago) he sold that baby off for a few million and took off. Haven't seen him since, but damn he was a good actor.

Remember what the place was called? I am in the same business, family owned steel castings manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: dekeuk

unanswerable question without more info:

raw or graded?

any restoration?

technical grade?

PQ?

just being the Mile High copy is not enough to base value on a book .......my 2c

Steve, I would've thought you'd know the answers to some of those questions already, being the pimp that you are.

1. Steve (showcase-4) IS a pimp !

2. There are people who have seen the MH copy, our own Steve Borock being one of them.

3. If this book were to be sold to someone in the hobby, Geppi, etc. I believe it would NOT have to be CGC graded to achieve a high price. this book is legendary.