• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote - How much would ACTION #1 Dentist Copy sell for in an auction?

In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?

410 posts in this topic

eh. probably not as much as you think IMO. If I had to guess I would say page 1 would be worth less than the MH action 1, the cover more, and the other pages considerably less than page 1. the price of the art would be limited by all the same factors limiting the MH action 1. namely, that someone has to actually write the check.

Gene, let me ask you this way...

What other pieces of American entertainment culture compare to the MH Action #1? We already know Supes is up there with Mickey Mouse, Babe Ruth and Coca Cola. There is no question about that.

The Honus Wagner card? Who the heII is Honus Wagner? I've never heard of the guy before someone mentioned his card. I also am not a big fan of baseball as and I am not alone in this view. So obviously Superman (being known globally) is more popular than HW.

So what other pieces are comparable? What other pieces of American (or world Entertainment culture) are considered holy grails and as important to culture as the MH Action #1?

\(shrug\)

R.

Roy is onto something obviously. I played baseball my entire life and still beer league it with a softball crew to this day. I knew who Superman was when I couldn't spell Superman. On the contrary I had never heard of Honus Wagner until I was a maybe 13 or so and still collecting baseball cards. And even then it was nothing more than some old, dead guy who's card happens to be worth alot, especially b/c there aren't many of them. I don't even think I saw a picture of the card until I was in my 20's and saw it on the web. And who wouldn't recognize Superman? Personally, I think I lowballed my original estimate of the sale price. After reading posts, especially some of the GA guys, i'm more inclined to think it's in the 5+ mil realm. My guess is more of the people out there who could afford the MH Action 1 probably have had more exposure to Superman in their lives than Honus Wagner.

I don't know why we keep coming back to honus wagner's fame. Its the #1 card in the hobby. That's all you need to know.

Ask a person on the street, they know baseball, they don't know Honus. Ask a person on the street they know superman but "Action Comics 1" means nothing to them :makepoint:

IT'S THE SAME THING!

but, while you HEARD of Superman all your life, at what point did that compel you to think about buying his first appearance on paper? I read comics all day when I was a kid but never even thought he HAD a first appearance til the Annuals showed the covers years later. We have heard about the Hope diamond since Liz Taylor but who seriously wants to own it?

Well, Sotheby's had an auction for the first strip -- of which, panels were used for the first page of Action #1. It failed to sell at auction but later sold privately. I believe the auction estimate was around 100K.

I don't know why we keep coming back to honus wagner's fame. Its the #1 card in the hobby. That's all you need to know.

Ask a person on the street, they know baseball, they don't know Honus. Ask a person on the street they know superman but "Action Comics 1" means nothing to them :makepoint:

IT'S THE SAME THING!

thats actually WHY Honus card come up in this discussion. Similar hobbies, "Best in Breed" pieces. Perfect symmetry.

Someone above stated that the other hobbes benefitted from more publicity about their top collectibles selling and reselling. I agree with this opinion, as the initial sale, post dentist, might not realize the ultimate high price some here think it would reach. However a strong sale initially 1-2 million and subsequent resale some time later might help it reach the 2 - 4.5 range.

As a strong initial sale might get people who would otherwise not be interested in comics to take a better look the second time around. Due in large part to better widespread publicity. Specifically upward trending if that publicity were geared toward the rare nature AC 1's in unrestored high grade.

In my opinion having an item locked in a personal collection for a long period does not greatly enhance it's value, it simply resets the bar when inevitably offered. Based upon someones opinion of value when the prior sales of similar inferior copies are considered. Then as other copies trade hands below it, they could create upward pressure for the second and subsequent sales of this copy.

Just an opinion..

Who keeps buying the Honus Wagner card? Are they baseball card collectors? Or just millionaire speculators?

Gretzky was not a baseball card collector, but that did not stop him and Bruce McNall from buying the Wagner card way back when. (They sold it way too cheap, but then again, McNall was broke)

Originally Posted By: Bronty

Ask a person on the street, they know baseball, they don't know Honus. Ask a person on the street they know superman but "Action Comics 1" means nothing to them makepoint.gif

IT'S THE SAME THING!

thats actually WHY Honus card come up in this discussion. Similar hobbies, "Best in Breed" pieces. Perfect symmetry.

yeah yeah but my point is that those who are trying to say action 1 should be worth more than honus simply because "honus isn't famous" are smoking crack. The fact that a Honus card instead of a Ruth card can be the most valuable in the hobby proves that all this "transcendence and American Icon" is just that, . The Honus card is the #1 card to card collectors. If fame and transcendence mattered much in collectibles pricing, it would be a Ruth card that would be #1.

I dont know. But your question ties in with TTHs comment earlier. The fact that the MH Action has been OFF the market for 30 years has "hurt" its value, maybe even the hobby too. The Wagner card has been "in play" for 20 years now and has amassed real-world sales that keep going up. These new owners are no doubt encouraged by the track record of the card to jump in with wallets open.

Had the Action 1 been trading hands regularly these past 20 years we would have an excellent grasp of its value today, no? And each new record sale of it would be in increments so that the eventual next owner of this book wont have to jump up 30 years in price all at once with no safety net!

And the hobby suffered perhaps because absent the rising sales and news of same of this special book, other great copies values have nothing to look cheap against.

Someone above stated that the other hobbes benefitted from more publicity about their top collectibles selling and reselling. I agree with this opinion, as the initial sale, post dentist, might not realize the ultimate high price some here think it would reach. However a strong sale initially 1-2 million and subsequent resale some time later might help it reach the 2 - 4.5 range.

As a strong initial sale might get people who would otherwise not be interested in comics to take a better look the second time around. Due in large part to better widespread publicity. Specifically upward trending if that publicity were geared toward the rare nature AC 1's in unrestored high grade.

In my opinion having an item locked in a personal collection for a long period does not greatly enhance it's value, it simply resets the bar when inevitably offered. Based upon someones opinion of value when the prior sales of similar inferior copies are considered. Then as other copies trade hands below it, they could create upward pressure for the second and subsequent sales of this copy.

Just an opinion..

hey! I was typing as fast as I could!

I agree, a 1916 (might be 1914) card of Babe Ruth is said to be his rookie. I never heard of this card until a couple of years ago and have only seen a few up for auction. When people think baseball they think Ruth. Honus Wagner was a great player and all but he did not do for baseball what Ruth did. Yet, Ruth's rookie goes for $300,000. Not even close to PSA 4 Wagner. Sometimes its whatever the hype for the hobby is. It also comes down to having 2 people who want that book no matter what, then you see record pricing. If 2 millionaires want that Action #1, you will see incredible number. It could also be a museum that wants it. Ive seen museums drive the prices up for cars at auction. But maybe, just maybe?? An attic find produces a similar or better copy of Action #1. Then what happens, does the MH price drop?? I dont know, but my head hurts now.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: maxstuf

Just an opinion..

hey! I was typing as fast as I could!

I think you nailed it.

yeah I agree with that. It wouldn't even have to be this book selling though.... although other comparables like the AA16 MH at 1m would get the job done. Its not just the fact that the MH action 1 has been locked up, but that ALL the really big books (eg allentown tec 27) have been locked up.

I agree, a 1916 (might be 1914) card of Babe Ruth is said to be his rookie. I never heard of this card until a couple of years ago and have only seen a few up for auction. When people think baseball they think Ruth. Honus Wagner was a great player and all but he did not do for baseball what Ruth did. Yet, Ruth's rookie goes for $300,000. Not even close to PSA 4 Wagner. Sometimes its whatever the hype for the hobby is. It also comes down to having 2 people who want that book no matter what, then you see record pricing. If 2 millionaires want that Action #1, you will see incredible number. It could also be a museum that wants it. Ive seen museums drive the prices up for cars at auction. But maybe, just maybe?? An attic find produces a similar or better copy of Action #1. Then what happens, does the MH price drop?? I dont know, but my head hurts now.

Jeff

Damn straight. So Ruth's rookie worth 15% of Honus'? And yet 'transcendence' is supposed to make action 1 priceless? :/ Didn't do much for Ruth now did it.

makes me think that we "first generation" comic collectors are "not worthy" of our treasures... greedily clutching them Gollum-like in seclusion when we should be sending them out to theirs destinies on open auctions around the world! In time, that will happen, and we will get to see where prices land.

But maybe, just maybe?? An attic find produces a similar or better copy of Action #1. Then what happens, does the MH price drop?? I dont know, but my head hurts now.

I think a comparable Action 1 appearing and selling would enhance the MH copy's value. It would get a premium over a comparable copy and we'd have a benchmark $ to work with. But if the MH graded a notch lower?? wow

however, more I think about it, this new copy might only sell for 1 mil. THEN what's the MH worth? That would throw cold water on the 5 and 10 mil estimates, wouldnt it?

meh. If I was in verzyl's or anderson's shoes I would do the same thing. Let the next guy sell too early and too cheap. not me.

If I was Verzyl I d beg the million dollar guy to buy the book. Thats precedent and profit enough for me for that non-essential book...as well as a kickas$$ jolt to the comic market as a whole.

Originally Posted By: Bronty
meh. If I was in verzyl's or anderson's shoes I would do the same thing. Let the next guy sell too early and too cheap. not me.

If I was Verzyl I d beg the million dollar guy to buy the book. Thats precedent and profit enough for me for that non-essential book...as well as a kickas$$ jolt to the comic market as a whole.

Only if I was ready to sell the rest. I know what you're saying though