• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll...Should Pressing be Disclosed?

Shoulf Pressing be Disclosed?  

450 members have voted

1. 1. Shoulf Pressing be Disclosed?

103 posts in this topic

Under high magnification, even to the extent of an electron microscope I would think that the fibers in the paper would have some type of shift or flattening to detect pressing.

There's no doubt about that, the question is whether or not pressing shifts and flattens them in a uniquely identifiable way. An electron microscope is most likely overkill, a boom microscope off of ebay probably is the level of magnification you need to see fibers.

What if people stopped paying ridiculas amounts of money for high grade books and just collected books cause they enjoy having a copy of that book :shrug: would that change the debate? Prices just dont make a difference after 9.2 ? like the old days of letter grades and not numerical?

Under high magnification, even to the extent of an electron microscope I would think that the fibers in the paper would have some type of shift or flattening to detect pressing. Who is going to start looking at comics under an electron microscope (or similar since electron microscope preparation is destructive. I believe they vaporize gold and plate what's being observed for reflectivity)? Even if it's a 100k comic and grading is at 3% of total value, what company is going to invest millions for this $3000 fee? Operation and expertise needed to operate these scopes are high too.

Even if an analysis (opinion) can be made with lower magnification i.e. 1000x where would this translate to profits for a service maybe charging $35 for a grading?

Comics and electron microscopes in the same discussion make hockeyguy's head hurt.