• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer #4 ?

53 posts in this topic

and have despised the Heels for all 36 of those years.

We will get along just fine, my friend. smile.gif

Chris

sign-offtopic.gif

mad.gif Question has been answered. Must make anti-Tarheel alliance for upcoming B-ball season. smile.gif

Chris

Go Deacs! Beat Carolina!

and have despised the Heels for all 36 of those years.

We will get along just fine, my friend. smile.gif

Chris

sign-offtopic.gif

mad.gif Question has been answered. Must make anti-Tarheel alliance for upcoming B-ball season. smile.gif

Chris

Go Deacs! Beat Carolina!

What he said! thumbsup2.gif

why was this originally reported as so rare? I know allegedly this had an incredibly low print run, but I remember when I was first collecting I was thinking... if this is so rare, how come everyone has one on their wall?

It was never reported as rare, just "lower distribution". I take this to mean that at the time of its release, its distribution to Newstands was low, for whatever reason, and it dosen't mean less were printed. So it might have been tough to find on newstands back then, which would mean less were circulated copies, which means more high grades today. Its scarcity is purely a myth, based on a misunderstanding of the term in Overstreet, and seller's wanting a marketing angle to sell their copies. As far as Silver goes, not only is this book not scarce, but it's extremely common and close to FF 48 proportions. At any given time on Ebay, there are half a dozen or more copies in the VF range or higher. Still, it's a great book and a killer cover. thumbsup2.gif

It was never reported as rare, just "lower distribution". I take this to mean that at the time of its release, its distribution to Newstands was low, for whatever reason, and it dosen't mean less were printed.

I would refine this even further by saying the book had low distribution in some areas but not others. Also many copies were stacked in warehouses for many years and not distributed at all. By now all these copies are out in the marketplace and, with the advent of eBay, the books have been nicely spread around and are plentiful.

why was this originally reported as so rare? I know allegedly this had an incredibly low print run, but I remember when I was first collecting I was thinking... if this is so rare, how come everyone has one on their wall?

I remember reading the "100 Greatest Covers" in Wizard and one writer remarking that he had an artist friend do a full ceiling painting of this cover over the bed...imagine lying down and looking at that at night.. blush.gif

Hmm...A large blonde man and a rainbow painting on the ceiling I guess there aren't many women who get in that bed to view that piece of art.