• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer #4 ?

53 posts in this topic

My SS#4 is a 7.5-7.0, would you have this book slabbed? I'm leaning twoards "yes", it may grade a 8.0, but a corner crease will most likely keep it at 7.5-7.0, the cover(mostly black) is still bright and has good reflectivity. Thoughts and opinions please. confused-smiley-013.gif

I would just say first hand, a mid grade Silver Age book whose distribution has been proven to have been misreported by certain dealers to maintain the semblance of scarcity, no - not worth the grading cost. But if you can manage to catch someone who doesn't know that this book is actually plentiful, you may have a shot at selling for the premium you expect. Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm talking out my arse when it comes to Silver Age. This is the gist of what I gather about this issue from previous posts from folks who have trafficked in this issue in particular. It is a classic cover...

If the book was uncommon, then my answer would be different, but because the supply on Silver Surfer #4 is so high, I'd say it's not worth slabbing below the 8.5 level. I've got a copy of that issue in the 7.5 range and if I sell it (since I've got another one that's a CGC 9.2) then I doubt I'd slab it.

I have to echo Darth's sentiment about it not being as scarce as has always been reported. I've seen a few issues in local comic shops I've been to, and they've been pretty nice copies. There have to be some people still wanting that book, though. It might have as much value to someone raw as it is graded.

If the book was uncommon, then my answer would be different, but because the supply on Silver Surfer #4 is so high, I'd say it's not worth slabbing below the 8.5 level. I've got a copy of that issue in the 7.5 range and if I sell it (since I've got another one that's a CGC 9.2) then I doubt I'd slab it.

Gist just backed up by forumite with Silver Age Marvel expertise thumbsup2.gif

Book is definately not as "scarce" as it has been presented in the past. My LCS has a copy; and they don't have many back issues at all (let alone semi-key's).

It's a tough call slabbing the book or not. I'm leaning more towards what FF says. If you thought you had a shot at 8.5, it might be worth the slabbing.

Chris

In general, I really don't believe a book should be slabbed unless you could sell it raw for over $100.00.

It always seems crazy to me to actually to spend $30 (and a two month wait), to slab a book and hope to sell it for less than $100. When you think about it, you would own a book where THIRTY PERCENT or more of the value of the actual book is the certification cost.

The main exception would be a book that might sell for only $10-20 but if the book gets a CGC NM+ or higher grade it would sell for a much bigger premium. In other words, if you try to sell a "Raw" book as a VF, most people will accept the fact that your grade could be accurate (or maybe just slightly overgraded). On the other hand if you try to sell a "Raw" book as a NM+, people in general are much more skeptical, and you probably won't get the huge premium that you could get if the book was CGC'd.

I have said many times, that I believe over half the books that have been certified, never should have been.

Just my opinion.

In general, I really don't believe a book should be slabbed unless you could sell it raw for over $100.00.

Using that criterion, you're advising him that he SHOULD slab...is that what you intended? Silver Surfer 4 VF- 7.5 is worth somewhere between $100 and $200, I forget where in that range it falls and don't have reference data near me.

why was this originally reported as so rare? I know allegedly this had an incredibly low print run, but I remember when I was first collecting I was thinking... if this is so rare, how come everyone has one on their wall?

I remember reading the "100 Greatest Covers" in Wizard and one writer remarking that he had an artist friend do a full ceiling painting of this cover over the bed...imagine lying down and looking at that at night.. blush.gif

..funny you should say that, for some reason I can't read any of my Thor back issues that involve Asgard before going to bed, if I do, I always have really intense/strange dreams. Put it to the test just last week, and sure enough....trippy dreamscape with rainbow bridge. confused-smiley-013.gif

..funny you should say that, for some reason I can't read any of my Thor back issues that involve Asgard before going to bed, if I do, I always have really intense/strange dreams. Put it to the test just last week, and sure enough....trippy dreamscape with rainbow bridge. confused-smiley-013.gif

Weird! I thought I was the only one. I recently started to re-read the Alan Moore Swamp Thing books. My dreams were horrible. Zombies and death. It was pretty creepy indeed. Enough that I put them down for awhile and read something else. blush.gif

Chris