• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was better.....DC or Timely?

Who was better in every way and every day?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better in every way and every day?

63 posts in this topic

I voted DC mainly because of their books from 1935-1940. This is the only reason they would top Timely books!!! Please note that most of these books were published before Timely existed!!!

However, if this question was changed to DC vs Timelys 1940-1949 (basically the beginning of Timely's), I would say that Timely would be the winner hands down.

Better Art, Better Stories, basically books geared to a more Mature audience (mainly kids over 8 yrs. old). lol

The only reason DC is winning is because of their pre-hero books and Super Keys such as Action 1. Adv. 40, More Fun 52, Tec 27 etc........

All those books were produced pre-Timely!!!

Exclude these, and Timely is the champ!!!!.

The only reason DC is winning is because of their pre-hero books and Super Keys such as Action 1. Adv. 40, More Fun 52, Tec 27 etc........

well gee, you could turn that argument around and say that if it wasn't for Schomburg war covers what would Timely have ?

I think people that are voting are smarter than you give them credit for.

well gee, you could turn that argument around and say that if it wasn't for Schomburg war covers what would Timely have ?

I think people that are voting are smarter than you give them credit for.

I'm not saying that at all. I respect all the members of this board, and I don't belittle anybody for voting this way or that way!!! It's ONLY matters of opinion anyway!!!

I voted for DC in this poll myself!!! I was just stating that the reason DC would win this poll is because of the material they were putting out before Timely came on the scene!!!

If we were to only include DC vs Timely at the same time they were on the news-stands Timely would win. Not only because of the Schomburg covers either!!! There was nice Kirby covers, Everett covers, Sid Shores (OK, forget about Shores :blush:), but at the time they were both being published Timely had more adult reader type of stuff (not as silly) and IMO better artwork in General!!!

Do you agree with that or not!!!! hm

It's like trying to compare a 1957 Corvette to a 1972 T-Bird, instead of comparing a 1957 Corvette to a 1957 T-Bird!!! Which car is better???

I don't know I might be way off here, but it's the way I see it, and if you see it differently that's OK!!! I think the Timely's lose in part because of Historical reasons, not Artistic reasons!!!! (tsk)

It's DC by a wide margin. That this question is being asked is a reflection of how cover-focused many golden age collectors have become. Sure, Timely had the best covers of the golden age, I'll grant you that. But writing? DC. Interior art? DC. Stable of characters? DC by a mile. Longevity? DC. Influence? DC.

The real question is "Who is #2?"

It's DC by a wide margin. That this question is being asked is a reflection of how cover-focused many golden age collectors have become. Sure, Timely had the best covers of the golden age, I'll grant you that. But writing? DC. Interior art? DC. Stable of characters? DC by a mile. Longevity? DC. Influence? DC.

The real question is "Who is #2?"

:applause:

First off- the Comics Calvacade cover belongs in the worse covers thread! Ok now to this thread, A few years ago I would have chosen Timely, but now It is DC. When WW2 began Timely became too repetative with its WW2 stories (reading some of those All winners really made me fall asleep). Even the Captain America stories (besides the Red Skull stories which are awesome) I think the rest of them are so-so at best. Timelys very early stuff were great- (and my opinion- should have stuck to it- instead of having someone punching Hitler over and over again- Boring!). Dc was more creative. All the Batman villains, The Spectre, Fate- alot of great GA villains! Simply put - better stories! Thats why I chose DC.