• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The last taboo: Flipping

337 posts in this topic

remember gman, he bought a book here and was flipping it for more, even when the book wasn't in his hands. lol

That is pretty balsy but it must have happened before my time here lol

I remember that...I think he even sold it before it arrived at his house lol

If he had been just a tad quicker, he could have had the original seller send it to the guy Gman flipped it to, so he didn't even have to pay postage lol

That was me, and I didn't want to buy it back! :makepoint:

Yep, one day I was just sitting at my computer enjoying holding the book in my hands waiting for gman's payment to arrive, and I logged on only to see him already listing it in the marketplace. lol

:hi:

pimp..was that the book talked about at the LA show (i think you were there) and i said i got it for short $ and flipped it on the boards to some other dude for good $ and he was sitting there at the table with us? hmlol

remember gman, he bought a book here and was flipping it for more, even when the book wasn't in his hands. lol

A board member (A) was selling a GA book I wanted - I was too slow in posting the "i'll take it", and board member (B) snatched it up. I posted the :frustrated: in the thread, and immediately received a PM from board member B saying that he was more than willing to let me have the book ... at a 50% markup from the price in the thread (note: this all happened within 15 minutes or so).

Scum-bag.

I am "flipping" every non sig series/sketch cover book I bought in SD, it is why I bought them. It is also how I paid for my hotel and meals out there. I flip a piece of OA here and there if I get a good deal or get tired of it. I also sell things when someone offers me a price I feel is "too good to turn down".

Once I have spent MY OWN HARD EARNED MONEY on a book (or anything else I buy), no one has the right tell me what to do with it. I can light it on fire and shove it where the sun don't shine, because I own it. They can, however, have an opinion, but that is all.

If the owner of a book gets the $ they want OR takes a lower offer, they should be happy and not care what the next owner does with it UNLESS there was a part (or parts) of the transaction where there are stipulations.

Now LYING about why you are buying something is a different story. (tsk)

I am "flipping" every non sig series/sketch cover book I bought in SD, it is why I bought them. It is also how I paid for my hotel and meals out there. I flip a piece of OA here and there if I get a good deal or get tired of it. I also sell things when someone offers me a price I feel is "too good to turn down".

Once I have spent MY OWN HARD EARNED MONEY on a book (or anything else I buy), no one has the right tell me what to do with it. I can light it on fire and shove it where the sun don't shine, because I own it. They can, however, have an opinion, but that is all.

If the owner of a book gets the $ they want OR takes a lower offer, they should be happy and not care what the next owner does with it UNLESS there was a part (or parts) of the transaction where there are stipulations.

This

:applause:

well said.

i am sure peeps have bought things from the gman and then turned around and sold them for a profit...more power to em!

And I have never (that i recall) said that a book is a grail for me and then flipped it.

pimp..was that the book talked about at the LA show (i think you were there) and i said i got it for short $ and flipped it on the boards to some other dude for good $ and he was sitting there at the table with us? hmlol

i only go to one nerd prom a year and that's the WC, so i wasn't there in LA, gman.:shrug: but have another drink. :headbang:

i only sell when i need cash and most of the time i regret selling the book, i'd rather still own it. i just recently sold a book to a forum member at the same price that i had paid for it 10 years ago. :o

I also sell things when someone offers me a price I feel is "too good to turn down".

Steve, be sure to come over to the Valiant board and mention how you feel about this. There may be a few "opinions"... :roflmao:

I think I'd have to take a few people off ignore to watch that one!

That is pretty balsy but it must have happened before my time here lol

I remember that...I think he even sold it before it arrived at his house lol

If he had been just a tad quicker, he could have had the original seller send it to the guy Gman flipped it to, so he didn't even have to pay postage lol

That was me, and I didn't want to buy it back! :makepoint:

Yep, one day I was just sitting at my computer enjoying holding the book in my hands waiting for gman's payment to arrive, and I logged on only to see him already listing it in the marketplace. lol

Wasn't it a Werewolf By Night 32 or a MP 15?

I also sell things when someone offers me a price I feel is "too good to turn down".

Steve, be sure to come over to the Valiant board and mention how you feel about this. There may be a few "opinions"... :roflmao:

And what fictional world do they live in? :kidaround:

:applause:

well said.

i am sure peeps have bought things from the gman and then turned around and sold them for a profit...more power to em!

And I have never (that i recall) said that a book is a grail for me and then flipped it.

Where are the new boobs? :sumo:

Why would they be so upset over flipping?

You think pressing is controversial? Pah! Try snapping up a bargain and then selling it on for a modest profit! lol

The flash fire in another thread that was kicked off by a disgruntled mutter regarding a book that was sold cheap on the forum and later sold on ebay at double the price, made me realise that flipping is the most controversial subject around here.

The very fact that it isn't discussed as avidly as other matters is due to it's taboo nature, and the fact that almost everyone does it. (I said almost, JC, obviously not you!)

Of course I agree that it is rude and deceitful to haggle over a book and claim it's your grail, only to sell it on a week later. Nobody disputes that! But to hit a BIN without a quibble when you recognize a bargain is just common sense.

So, how about a little flipper's confessional time? I too have sinned! Since joining these boards I have flipped on two occasions.

1) Goonchild (remember him?) offered a raw NM ASM #45 for $275. I BIN'd it, slabbed it (at 9.6) and sold it for over $1,000. On reflection, I should've sold it for more!

2) In the same comiclink auction that saw ASM #50 in 9.8 reach new record heights, I quietly nabbed the lowly trimmed 9.6 for $500. Sold within the month for $1,250.

It's no brainers like that that make comic buying look like a worthwhile use of my time to my girlfriend! :grin:

Should I have passed on these bargains because I didn't want to keep the books? :screwy:

I took a bath in the last CLink focused auction. 3 HG Mary Marvels went for a song and 2 days later were up on ebay, all bought by the same person. I think his total investment was about $250 and his asking price (combined) for the 3 books was like $600. He might have actually sold them at those prices too as only 1 book is still up on ebay. Mary Marvel 25, CGC 7.5. Won on CLink for $72 bucks, now asking $171 on ebay! :o

Hey, if the seller can get those prices more power to him. The only thing that burns me is that i'm not the one getting those phat prices. :sumo:

Personally, I've never bought anything I intended to flip immediately.