• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The last taboo: Flipping

337 posts in this topic

You think pressing is controversial? Pah! Try snapping up a bargain and then selling it on for a modest profit! lol

The flash fire in another thread that was kicked off by a disgruntled mutter regarding a book that was sold cheap on the forum and later sold on ebay at double the price, made me realise that flipping is the most controversial subject around here.

The very fact that it isn't discussed as avidly as other matters is due to it's taboo nature, and the fact that almost everyone does it. (I said almost, JC, obviously not you!)

Of course I agree that it is rude and deceitful to haggle over a book and claim it's your grail, only to sell it on a week later. Nobody disputes that! But to hit a BIN without a quibble when you recognize a bargain is just common sense.

So, how about a little flipper's confessional time? I too have sinned! Since joining these boards I have flipped on two occasions.

1) Goonchild (remember him?) offered a raw NM ASM #45 for $275. I BIN'd it, slabbed it (at 9.6) and sold it for over $1,000. On reflection, I should've sold it for more!

2) In the same comiclink auction that saw ASM #50 in 9.8 reach new record heights, I quietly nabbed the lowly trimmed 9.6 for $500. Sold within the month for $1,250.

It's no brainers like that that make comic buying look like a worthwhile use of my time to my girlfriend! :grin:

Should I have passed on these bargains because I didn't want to keep the books? :screwy:

nah, not controversial unless you haggled under the "this is my grail" premise or you're bragging about the flip in the forum. don't lie and don't brag and you shouldn't get anyone too ticked off at you.

nah, not controversial unless you haggled under the "this is my grail" premise or you're bragging about the flip in the forum. don't lie and don't brag and you shouldn't get anyone too ticked off at you.

Got it,

Reporting bargains found on another site, LCS or jumble sale = Cool story.

Bragging about profits = Lame

(thumbs u

i just bought a book on ebay and flipped it here for 50% more- does that count? the ebay price was ridiculous, the price here was more than fair. i realized after i had bought the book that i already had one in higher grade.

to me the absolute worst is selling a book to someone who's "buying a grail" and then seeing it on ebay a month later.

i just bought a book on ebay and flipped it here for 50% more- does that count? the ebay price was ridiculous, the price here was more than fair. i realized after i had bought the book that i already had one in higher grade.

to me the absolute worst is selling a book to someone who's "buying a grail" and then seeing it on ebay a month later.

I agree.

Personally when a person cuts me a deal, I will return the favor even if it means at a loss.

Well said - it's the sellers job to figure out what his book is worth and price it appropriately.

Or cheaper if he needs the money quick.

Hitting a BIN should never produce any controversy.

However, haggling over the price only to "Flip-it" is bad form, IMHO...and using either the "Grail" or "My permanent collection" statement really bites......... :sumo: (Hey, i gotta go check on something... hm )

I've had people do BIN's on some of my ebay auctions and then stall for a couple of weeks to pay, while they try to get the money together and then flip the book a bit later and make a profit. I didn't mind the flipping, just the deceptive stalling to pay. Never pull the trigger unless you have the cash. Sleazy.

yeah, ok, i guess that's the third "not so cool" scenario, though not nearly as bad as the others. if you hit a BIN here and got a great deal, at least wait until you get the book before trying to sell it on ebay! i guess it shouldn't make a difference, but i dunno, selling it based on the forum seller's scan doesn't seem right.

personally, for the most part, I've aged most of what I've bought here, although I will admit I bought some books from a forum member I will not mention that were priced so well and rather undergraded that I couldn't help myself (and I needed some money). it was just too easy. makes up for the stuff i've sold for a loss here over the years.

remember gman, he bought a book here and was flipping it for more, even when the book wasn't in his hands. lol

That is pretty balsy but it must have happened before my time here lol

I've had people flip my books several times...oh well...I made my profit and they made theirs... :applause:

That's the way I look at it. Once I sell the book, it's up to the buyer what he/she does with it. If they flip it for a profit, good for them.

remember gman, he bought a book here and was flipping it for more, even when the book wasn't in his hands. lol

I remember that...I think he even sold it before it arrived at his house lol

If he had been just a tad quicker, he could have had the original seller send it to the guy Gman flipped it to, so he didn't even have to pay postage lol

Nothing wrong with buying on ebay cheap and flipping here or elsewhere. I've done that before.

But I agree with the consensus that trying to sympathy the price of a book HERE down only to flip is lame. On one of my deals here, in particular, I feel the seller gave me a very generous deal. But it was a book my wife and I loved (especially the cover). I would feel guilty if I went and flipped that (and I doubt I'll ever sell it). But in any normal transaction, it's probably fine, even when bought here.

Good luck on flipping my books. I haven't sold one since '86. ;)

But seriously, I think it all evens out in the end due to karma. If you're doing shady things involving money, it'll catch up to you. If you're being honest about flipping in order to make your personal collection better, I got nothing against that.

The only time flipping actually bugs me is if it's done within a week or so after buying it. Or in somebody's case, before. :o But that's really on me for not paying attention to the current market or letting someone who sees only $$ in on the transaction.

I remember that...I think he even sold it before it arrived at his house lol

If he had been just a tad quicker, he could have had the original seller send it to the guy Gman flipped it to, so he didn't even have to pay postage lol

That was me, and I didn't want to buy it back! :makepoint:

Yep, one day I was just sitting at my computer enjoying holding the book in my hands waiting for gman's payment to arrive, and I logged on only to see him already listing it in the marketplace. lol