• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCs Seventieth Birthday

52 posts in this topic

Ian is wrong about those. I'll have to look them up. I believe the first part was in Action comics in the late 400's and the second part continued in a Legion issue, but I cannot remember the issue numbers... The Superboy vs. Superman two-parter was very shocking. I think in those days Superman was not the completely invincible guy had had been in the past, so seeing them go at it was incredible! I don't want to spoil it for you but the ending is unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian is WRONG ???????

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said originally " the two part Adventure Comics series, in 359 and 360, "The End Of The Legion" and "The Legion Chain Gang", where the Legion are imprisoned because the President of Earth has drugged the world's water supply and assassinated the previous President (a bit like the plot of Babylon 5 many years later), are as good as it gets, and the reason I collect DCs."

So what is wrong with that ??? It's one of the greatest DC two parters in history, and I assure you I'm not wrong. Like I said, stuff like that is the reason why I've got nearly every DC. The only other Legion story to come close was the original two parter of the Legion and the Fatal Five versus the Sun Eater, where Ferro Lad died.

I was not wrong.

Ian speaks factually.

But there were 2 different conversations getting convoluted. The question that Timely was weighing in on had to do with a late 1980s Superman/Superboy story, I believe by John Byrne. In short, this thread got cross-threaded! (it happens...)

But back on your topic Ian, the Jim Shooter / Curt Swan stories were great. The other one I would put right up there with the Legion Chain Gang and Fatal Five 2-parters would be the introduction of Mordru in Adventure 369-370.

I think we should get back to the original topic of this thread, which is.....

What DC Comics would YOU most like to see DC start up again for their Seventieth Birthday, which is only fourteen months away ?????????????

I want to hear everyone's thoughts.

More Fun with the REAL Spectre, not the abomination running around the DCU these days............

Now that I agree with.

Bring back More Fun with Issue Number 128.

What better title to resurrect for DCs Seventieth Birthday than the comic which began it all ?????

More Fun with the REAL Spectre, not the abomination running around the DCU these days............

The Abomination is running around the Marvel Universe not the DC Universe. Unless you meant Azael from the Sandman before he was Azazel. Then you would be correct.

gossip.gifgrin.gif

Oh, you meant Hal Jordan is an abomination as The Spectre......sorry. insane.gif

I like the ideas about re-starting Adventure Comics and More Fun Comics, but how about if we combine a couple of ideas floating around out there? Here's my suggestion... launch a bi-monthly trade paperback with all-new but classic-style untold stories of the last 70 years worth of DC characters. Anthologies don't sell? Well, maybe not in the comics shops, but these would be placed prominently in the bookstores as well. Build on the recent JSA All-Stars miniseries idea where you give big-name creators the chance to do a few 8-13 page stories of their favorite characters. As an anthology, you can give them enough lead time to get their stories in. Harlan Ellison, Samuel Delany, (they both wrote a handful of comics in the early 70s), Michael Chabon, Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson, Jim Steranko, Alex Toth, why not?

The name? The Big All-American Comic Book. The original is one of the most sought-after DCs of the Golden Age. At 128 story pages, it is about equivalent in length to today's original graphic novels. A bigger package than the 80 Page Giants and 100 Page Super-Spectaculars. But not so large as to likely sit unread from month to month. Might need to have a $12 cover price, I don't know, but this could test the idea that new comics don't need to be monthly periodicals sold exclusively in direct market specialty shops.

DC COMICS CELEBRATES THE LEGACY OF JULIUS SCHWARTZ WITH EIGHT NEW SPECIALS

In commemoration of Julius Schwartz's tremendous contributions to comics,

DC celebrates his legacy with eight stand-alone DC COMICS PRESENTS

Specials showcasing his unique vision beginning in July. These Specials

pay tribute to Julie via one of his best-known editorial trademarks: the

cover-driven story.

Some of comics' biggest names take up the Schwartz challenge, with eight

classic Silver Age covers each providing inspiration for two 11-page

stories by writers and artists who either worked with Julie or were

inspired by his work. Each issue also includes Harlan Ellison's moving

tribute to Julie, along with the original covers that serve as the

inspiration for this once-in-a-lifetime tribute.

See...... It took a while to find it, but I knew we'd suggested something similar last year.

What a shame it took a death to bring it about.

But what a wonderful idea. It makes collecting DC all the more special.