• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCs Seventieth Birthday

52 posts in this topic

You guys are serious about Sugar + Spike? confused.gif Is it because you think it will help lure youngsters back into reading comics?

Partly. But S & S was a truly wonderful strip-- the Calvin & Hobbes of its day.

Has DC been running into any financial trouble lately? Just curious as to their financial health. I'm just hoping they will be around for their 70th birthday. And, oh yeah, I will be excited when Action Comics hits the 1000th issue.

DC should reprint all the Sugar & Spike or Fox & Crow comics in digest form for kids like us to enjoy. Top notch humor & clean art.

Nah.

The last thing we need are more reprints.

There are tons and tons of archive editions that ADMIRABLY fulfill that purpose.

The whole idea is authentic style NEW stories, but seriously retro in approach.

I love reprints. thumbsup2.gif

I would like to see them do a monthly reprint of Det #1-50. Complete with original ads etc.... This would work with other titles as well.

You guys are serious about Sugar + Spike? confused.gif Is it because you think it will help lure youngsters back into reading comics?

Partly. But S & S was a truly wonderful strip-- the Calvin & Hobbes of its day.

I'll ditto that Sugar and Spike was a wonderful comic. Great art, great stories, great characters, charming and funny. There's a reason those old issues command such a high price and it's not related just to supply.

Has DC been running into any financial trouble lately? Just curious as to their financial health.

Any troubles would be subservient to those experienced by their parent entity, the now-AOL-less Time Warner. And, frankly, if Time Warner goes out of business there will be a lot bigger problems to deal with other than if the new issue of Batman ships on time .... sumo.gif

Also, it's accepted canon that the entire DC wing of Time Warner is run like an advertising or legal department in that they do not need to show a profit. This keeps them flying under the radar of any executive officers who may be bottom-line orientated. Unfortunately, it's also oftentimes cited as the main reason why DC hasn't taken as many risks with its books over the past decade or so.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about DC ceasing publication any time soon. Even if the industry collapsed (say, because Marvel went bankrupt again, but this time didn't maintain shipping of their books), DC would be one of the last holdouts. At least for the time being .... confused.gif

Alan

So, I wouldn't worry too much about DC ceasing publication any time soon. Even if the industry collapsed (say, because Marvel went bankrupt again, but this time didn't maintain shipping of their books), DC would be one of the last holdouts. At least for time being ....

Lets hope not.

The whole point of getting every last Dc is that the line is ongoing, and therefore keeps something new and interesting all the time.

Imagine the horror if, when I finally completed the lot, they ceased to be.......................

I'll ditto that Sugar and Spike was a wonderful comic. Great art, great stories, great characters, charming and funny. There's a reason those old issues command such a high price and it's not related just to supply.

Scribbly's just as good, but a lot harder to find.

And, frankly, if Time Warner goes out of business there will be a lot bigger problems to deal with other than if the new issue of Batman ships on time

There is very serious talk of EMI buying out Warner Music. Could this affect DC comics ????

Back to the initial post on this thread. Firstly I think I must have screwed up with the Adventure Comics suggestion, because re-reading it, I realised that any new Adventure Comics continuing the number run would have to start at 504, not 503.

Secondly, does anyone have any idea what DC actually ARE planning for their seventieth birthday. Next week is December, which makes it only fourteen months away, which means they'd have to be planning it right now.

Any new Adventure Comics continuing the number run would have to start at 504, not 503.

As Gemstone are doing such an authentic job with their new Disney Titles, why don't we all gently persuade DC to let them do a DC spin-off line of old style traditional DC titles (Golden Age style All-Star Comics, and Adventure Comics, Silver Age style Justice League Of America, and Showcase, and Brave And The Bold).

I still think it would be the most exciting thing to happen to comics for thirty years.

I recently re-read the entire Crisis On Infinite Earths, and despite it's magnitude, it paled into insignificance next to The Legion Of Super Heroes and the Fatal Five's battle against the Sun Eater.

Silver Age style Justice League Of America,

I still think it would be the most exciting thing to happen to comics for thirty years.

Ian, what did you think of the oversized JLA Liberty & Justice? Pretty great, I thought! (though like all these Dini/Ross productions, a bit light on plot)

Ian, what did you think of the oversized JLA Liberty & Justice? Pretty great, I thought! (though like all these Dini/Ross productions, a bit light on plot)

I tried, and I tried, but I couldn't get into it.

Go back and re-read "The Fantastic Fingers Of Felix Faust" and "One Hour To Doomsday", and then read this straight after, and you'll see what I mean.

What issues were those in?

They were the actual titles of the issues.

Justice League Of America 10 and 11. A classic two part series.

That pair, along with the two part Adventure Comics series, in 359 and 360, "The End Of The Legion" and "The Legion Chain Gang", where the Legion are imprisoned because the President of Earth has drugged the world's water supply and assassinated the previous President (a bit like the plot of Babylon 5 many years later), are as good as it gets, and the reason I collect DCs.

Ian is wrong about those. I'll have to look them up. I believe the first part was in Action comics in the late 400's and the second part continued in a Legion issue, but I cannot remember the issue numbers...

The Superboy vs. Superman two-parter was very shocking. I think in those days Superman was not the completely invincible guy had had been in the past, so seeing them go at it was incredible! I don't want to spoil it for you but the ending is unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timely