• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isn't it time GRADING notes were printed on the CGC label?

87 posts in this topic

But since the interior of a comic can affect the cover(tanning wise) it's hard to seperate the two when arriving at the overall grade. Bad interior PQ is a detriment to the book overall and is downgraded for by most people.

If I see bad PQ noted on the label, I assume it played a part in arriving at the overall grade. If it is a white pager I assume the book was more graded by the cover then the book as a whole. Or perhaps as you said, white pages bumped it up to the next level.

I guess it really is hard to judge a book by its cover. :P

:hi: Hiyo!

:shy: ... now I am just adding my two cent in the matter, but think that a copy of grade notes pertaining to you submissions should be a separate thing given upon return to submission owner after graded and slabbed.

To me the grader notes should be treated the same way you receive the title to your car when you purchase one either from a dealership or auction. Another way of thinking is... it should be like when you purchase car insurance and you get a copy of your policy sent in the mail (Detailing the type coverage, car amount, monthly payments, and etc.) to you along with the insurance card (The car insurance paperwork that the cops pull you over to see?) you keep in your car glove-box.

Dont you think along with CGC grading and archiving the submissions of the graded books in their system... that they should also include a copy of the grader notes in their system (That also viewable by the a paided member on their online site.)and a copy for each book graded in your submission lot... sent to you along with the graded books? I certainly do!

It is all about... accountability, but do I thing the grader notes should be challengable? No.

This is a long thread to get caught up in. So, my abbreviated contribution.

- one grade, for everything

- get rid of the purple label

- put detailed notes online

(ok to start on books graded from the start day forward considering graders notes may not be easy to decipher from years ago)

Not sure if this was mentioned, but, does CGC consider the graders notes proprietary? That is, part of their secret sauce, hence the hesitation to making them widely available?

This is a long thread to get caught up in. So, my abbreviated contribution.

- one grade, for everything

- get rid of the purple label

- put detailed notes online

(ok to start on books graded from the start day forward considering graders notes may not be easy to decipher from years ago)

Not sure if this was mentioned, but, does CGC consider the graders notes proprietary? That is, part of their secret sauce, hence the hesitation to making them widely available?

:hi: Hiyo!

:o ... purple label gone? I dont care for restoration on my comics... I like the old/untouched. Purple stays! Plus, why do you think the restoration label should be taken down?

I don't care how grader notes are made more accessible; be it online, separate document, on the back of the cgc case, carrier pigeon, whatever, this is a practice that needs improved. Transparency helps everyone in our beloved hobby.

As evidenced from the last label change...it has been decided that LESS is MORE.

Plus, can you imagine notes on a label on a low grade book...the label would have to be as big as the book!

I would be satisfied with online query access if I so desired.

Ditto. I'm all for being able to pop in the serial # and viewing the notes online (thumbs u

I completely agree. Most of us buy our slabs online and that would be the best place for the info.

But since the interior of a comic can affect the cover(tanning wise) it's hard to seperate the two when arriving at the overall grade. Bad interior PQ is a detriment to the book overall and is downgraded for by most people.

If I see bad PQ noted on the label, I assume it played a part in arriving at the overall grade. If it is a white pager I assume the book was more graded by the cover then the book as a whole. Or perhaps as you said, white pages bumped it up to the next level.

I guess it really is hard to judge a book by its cover. :P

Ze, interior cover tanning and PQ are two separate issues.

Give the book based on an interior cover tanning (have it listed in the notes) and then have the PQ listed separate.

If book grades a 9.0 or a 9.2 because of tanning, but it has o/w pages how is that bad PQ?

R.