• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

? on shipping to Canada

28 posts in this topic

Ok all you Canadians that complain when the ebayer wont sell to you. I sold 754 comics to a Canadian. Now I have questions on the best way to ship them.

First my buyer wants to keep the packages to $100 insured so his duty charge doesn't get to high. So this means I will be shipping 13 packages. ( He paid $1300 for all the books so I need to have enough insurance to cover if anything goes wrong. That equals 13 boxes)

Second Question does UPS charge brokerage fee. Buyer had to pay a brokerage fee before when someone shipped him a book via Fed X.

Here is my overall goal. Ship the books for $150 top cost. While keeping cost for buyer to a minimum. (brokerage fee, duty cost)

Any help will be great, This is my first big shipment over the boarder and want to do it right. thumbsup2.gif

Rich

If the buyer is trying to avoid brokerage fees, UPS is not for him, as it is much larger than the amount that fed-ex charges. Plus UPS is usually harder to arrange to pick-up if no one is at home. With fed-ex, you can normally redirect the packages to their many retail outlets for pick-up. However, UPS usually only allows pick-ups at their main warehouse which may be far away and inconvenient. frown.gif

thanks Greggy,

So does Post office charge brokerage fees? If not I will probaly just go that route. thumbsup2.gif

The post office will charge a $5 handling fee per package if they decide to tax the value on importation for the 7% national tax. Otherwise, no. So..it's a crapshoot to see if they will charge the tax or not. UPS and fed-ex will definitely charge the 7% on the declared value. shocked.gif

I'm trying to do the buyer a favor and keep his cost as low as possible on the duty and tax fee's and whatever they nail you for in hockey land. Yes a seller who is actually worried about the buyer getting #%$%@% for all their worth on tax and duty fee. It's rare but some sellers do care. thumbsup2.gif

I believe I will just send up 4 boxes insured for $300 each with USPS and see what happens.

I have another big auction comming up this one DC, and this will be a good learning experience shipping this batch off. I will deffinetley have to let everyone know and maybe this will help them in the future.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I called it hockey land because I'm a huge hockey freak and the best players come from CANADA 795.gif

How about we call the country by its proper name of Canada..

After all howd you like ti if we called the United States "The Sandlot"

Why don't you take a chill pill and quit looking for arguments. I meant no harm and wasn't trying to crack on or put down Canada. I'm sorry there are some uptight people that are reading things into the message that wasn't meant to be an insult. But hey lets make a mountain out of a mole hill! Maybe this is why many ebayers wont ship to Canada your to 893censored-thumb.gif UPTIGHT!!

Have a nice day. thumbsup2.gif

and goodnight from the sandlot. 893applaud-thumb.gif PLAY BALL

Hi Rich, I can tell you now $150.00 or less will probably not happen if you go and ship the books in 13 packages. You are better off going in two bigger well protected boxes to try and get close to that shipping rate. It might cost the buyer more in fees but will still be less overall. I noticied a huge price difference in USPS versus UPS in the 4 to 20 pound package range like $5.00 less to use ups on average. However would only do so on cheaper items as UPS taxes on fees automatically for the buyer. Look into shipping them in 2 to 3 boxes to save yourself and the buyer some money. USPS International Rates Good Luck thumbsup2.gif

Ok all you Canadians that complain when the ebayer wont sell to you. I sold 754 comics to a Canadian. Now I have questions on the best way to ship them.

First my buyer wants to keep the packages to $100 insured so his duty charge doesn't get to high. So this means I will be shipping 13 packages. ( He paid $1300 for all the books so I need to have enough insurance to cover if anything goes wrong. That equals 13 boxes)

Second Question does UPS charge brokerage fee. Buyer had to pay a brokerage fee before when someone shipped him a book via Fed X.

Here is my overall goal. Ship the books for $150 top cost. While keeping cost for buyer to a minimum. (brokerage fee, duty cost)

Any help will be great, This is my first big shipment over the boarder and want to do it right. thumbsup2.gif

Rich

Why don't you take a chill pill and quit looking for arguments. I meant no harm and wasn't trying to crack on or put down Canada. I'm sorry there are some uptight people that are reading things into the message that wasn't meant to be an insult. But hey lets make a mountain out of a mole hill! Maybe this is why many ebayers wont ship to Canada your to 893censored-thumb.gif UPTIGHT!!

I know you werent...

I forgot to put a smilie and the end of my pst to show I was joking..

I know you werent...

Are you drunk...eh?795.gif

I know you werent...

YUP

I know you werent...

YUP

27.gif

I know you werent...

YUP

27.gif

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

I'm trying to do the buyer a favor and keep his cost as low as possible on the duty and tax fee's and whatever they nail you for in hockey land. Yes a seller who is actually worried about the buyer getting #%$%@% for all their worth on tax and duty fee. It's rare but some sellers do care. thumbsup2.gif

I believe I will just send up 4 boxes insured for $300 each with USPS and see what happens.

I have another big auction comming up this one DC, and this will be a good learning experience shipping this batch off. I will deffinetley have to let everyone know and maybe this will help them in the future.

once you insure the packages then customs will nail them on VAT based on what you insure it for...

once you insure the packages then customs will nail them on VAT based on what you insure it for...

even if its marked as a gift which is what pisses me off....

Do they tax items from canada to USA the same way?

Ive sold a few high priced itemes and I wonder if they get dinged same way!!

I notice whenever I get my stuff from the states and ask the seller to indicate that it's a "USED BOOK" which should mean no retail value and also a low value of $20.00 which also go under the radar as very little charges or none, but you take your chance without any insurance but that's the price you get when you want to avoid any extra duty. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif......... 893crossfingers-thumb.giftonofbricks.gif

I notice whenever I get my stuff from the states and ask the seller to indicate that it's a "USED BOOK" which should mean no retail value and also a low value of $20.00 which also go under the radar as very little charges or none, but you take your chance without any insurance but that's the price you get when you want to avoid any extra duty. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif......... 893crossfingers-thumb.giftonofbricks.gif

There's no real win-win situation with shipping to and from the U.S. - even if you do get an item insured, the process to file a claim can be so difficult, you may not be able to recover any money at all. I find the best way is to mark a low value on the item, mark is as a gift and try to make the package bomb proof without spending too much on packing supplies. Those Diamond books can be great for CGC books!