• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First comic store

81 posts in this topic

My first comic shop visit was to The COMIC COVE in Yonkers, NY -- circa 1978.

It was a great little hole in the wall, chock full of goodies. I remember my Dad could not beleive that I spent $30 on a Fantastic Four #2 -- he though that was the craziest thing he ever heard!

The store disappeared about 1979/80 and then I started to visit SUPERSNIPE on 3rd Ave in NYC. The guy there made a nasty comment to my mom one day, and she never took me there again. Heh!

Bill

I can only imagine what my parents thought when I bought a Superman 1 for 1k.

Dennis

Ralph's Comic Corner in Ventura, CA, 1981. He literally was in the back corner of an antique shop. The new comics were in spinner racks. He could fit no more than 3 or 4 customers at a time.

My first was Ralph's also, but a little later. He had a small store (maybe 12ft x 20ft) across the street from where he is today. I remember the first time i bought books from him and chuckled to myself about his cash register was an old cigar box. Good times (thumbs u

The first place I picked up comics was off the spinner rack at the IGA. My first real comic shop was Clint's South in the early 80's. It was in a mall and they would have a little mini convention there a few times a year. I never had any idea when it would be so if I showed up and it was going on it was like Christmas! The main Clint's store is still in downtown Kansas City but the south store is long gone.

1978 for me and it was called "The Comic Shop" in Toledo, Ohio. And I loved every minute I was able to set foot in it. I was 12 and dreamt about how much more money I needed to buy every book I wanted. Of course, at the time, it was virtually every book there. Maybe it was just being a kid, but back then I figured I'd collect every book before I died. lol

I do remember never having enough time to get through all the long boxes. And I would buy what struck me more than by a want list.

First one I ever bought a comic in was the Librarie Book Shop on Royal St. in New Orleans, circa 1969. My first regular comic shop was The One Book Shop in Tempe, AZ. Shopped there from 1973 to 1980

Oddly, the first comic ever bought for me was in 1965, and it was Japanese. Still have it.

Bought new comics and saved them starting in 1972 from 7-11 stores all over South Jersey. By the summer of '73, you could buy your comics and also get a slurpee in one of these cups:

1639239277_575499c03e_o.jpg

First place I ever bought back issues was in Philly on 19th Street between Sansom and Chestnut. Don't remember the name, just that it was dark, dingy, and had not only tons of old comics, but cool posters.

Another advantage of venturing from Jersey to this comic store was the head shop Wonderland and sex shop The Pleasure Chest were just around the corner on Sansom. :cool:

Started trading comics with Rex's used books (1970 or 1971) in Pueblo Colorado. But my first real comic store was A-1 Comics in Denver Colorado (August 1972). It was owned by Jolly Jim Payne! It was only open Tues & Thurs from 6-9 and Saturday from 10-5, first discovered it on Sunday, Mom wouldn't take me at night so I had to wait until the next Saturday, it was one of the longest weeks of my life! On my first visit, I bought a then super old (to me) Archie #79 off the wall for 50 cents! By my third or fourth visit Jolly Jim was greeting me as Archie!

:)

Bought new comics and saved them starting in 1972 from 7-11 stores all over South Jersey. By the summer of '73, you could buy your comics and also get a slurpee in one of these cups:

First place I ever bought back issues was in Philly on 19th Street between Sansom and Chestnut. Don't remember the name, just that it was dark, dingy, and had not only tons of old comics, but cool posters.

Another advantage of venturing from Jersey to this comic store was the head shop Wonderland and sex shop The Pleasure Chest were just around the corner on Sansom. :cool:

sounds like Fat Jack's Comicrypt!

First one I ever bought a comic in was the Librarie Book Shop on Royal St. in New Orleans, circa 1969. My first regular comic shop was The One Book Shop in Tempe, AZ. Shopped there from 1973 to 1980

Oddly, the first comic ever bought for me was in 1965, and it was Japanese. Still have it.

can we get a pic of the Japanese comic? :baiting:

Were you at the game Sunday?

Those Slurpee cups bring back great memories. :cloud9:

The store you purchased the comics from may have been Record Rendezvous on 19th. It was dingy, dark and loaded with all kinds of stuff. They had back issue comics in the window faded from exposure to sunlight. They did have some cool stuff. The old location for Fat Jack's was either right next to Rendezvous, or a few doors down. I got a VG Spidey #14 there cheap. My buddy got some of the latter run Flash GA with Black Canary(they were beat, but still great to read).

The first comic I ever bought was off the newsstand at a Hy-Vee store in the late 70's. Grocery store chain in the Midwest.

I can't remember the exact year in the early 80's, but my first comic shop was Rainbow Collectibles (I'm certain they might've had a different name) on Tenth Street in Sioux Falls, SD. They've since moved several times and changed their name to Rainbow Sportscards. I believe JonJesper now regularly raids them for his "goods". ;)

My first comic books stores growing up :

The Dragons Den, Yonkers, Ny

Fantasia, Hartsdale, NY

M&M Comics, Nyack, Ny

God, I loved going to M&M comics when I was a kid. They moved several times in the 80's but always stayed in Nyack. Mike owned the store with his parents, and was super cool. I actually miss him, now that I am back into collecting..

Later on I started going to Wizard world in Nanuet, NY, and became friendly with the family. Very nice people. We all know what happened there..They opened the magazine publication.

~SIxx

I was indeed at the game on Sunday!!!

I'll do better than a pic. Next time we hang out, I will bring it.

Ah, what the heck. Mom gave this to me in either late 1965 or early 1966. The published date on the cover is 1966, but not sure about what the timing was like when they actually hit the shelf. Very cook book. Mixture of Disney characters and original Japanese characters. I loved these when we lived over there. It is where my love of comics started.

myfirstcomicbook.jpg

myfirstcomicbookint.jpg