• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Popeye Feature Book (nn) -- need advice, please

4 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Popeye Feature Book (nn) (correct me if I'm wrong with my ID). It's listed as Very Rare in Overstreet. It's in pretty bad shape. Cover is completely split. Pages are a getting brittle. I want to have this book professionally restored. This would be my first attempt at having a comic restored, so I'm looking for some friendly advice.

What apparent grade can I expect to get out of this book?

How much will it cost?

Who should I send it to?

I've seen some examples of heavy restorations that cost $1-2k. I'm not worried about the cost so much. I love old Popeye books and this one is so rare that I think it deserves the royal treatment.

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael

featurebook_front.jpg

featurebook_back.jpg

featurebook_title.jpg

featurebook_interior.jpg

Get in touch with Matt Nelson of Classics Incorporated. He is a forum sponsor here. He will be able to give you the info. you need to make an informed decision. The Restoration Lab is also a very good place to get some answers. Susan Cicconi runs this company. Both would do excellent work for you.

Get in touch with Matt Nelson of Classics Incorporated. He is a forum sponsor here. He will be able to give you the info. you need to make an informed decision. The Restoration Lab is also a very good place to get some answers. Susan Cicconi runs this company. Both would do excellent work for you.

(thumbs u I have books that have been restored by both of them. They both do good work.

What a cool book, Wow!

A few quick thoughts before supper,

Depending on how much work you get done I could see this book grading around 3.0/3.5 (just a guess based on your scan) The colors look great and aside from the munched lower spine and missing outeredge areas there is not much work needed other then tear seals and minor structural work. (in otherwords there will not be tons of CT if you decide to go that route)

On the interior are there only the two outer wraps that are missing paper and not attached? It looks pretty rough, is the paper brittle?

As you mentioned, doing the full monty on this book will not be cheap so find out if the cost versus work done is to your liking , if anything just getting the book washed, supported and re attached would greatly improve the book aesthetically.

Please post the reults if you get it worked on.