• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying comics collections

19 posts in this topic

To everyone

A few days ago i visited a sellers house to see the different comics coll. he had gathered during more than 20 years of collecting.

This fella isn't interested on selling small lots, mostly to send complete/almost complete runs.

Some colls. he has for sale are for ex:

ASM nº120-441 being 95% mostly NM and the key issues all NM - 2000$

U. X-Men nº100-400 (same as above) - 1800$

Avengers vol.1 nº20-200 (same as above) - 1500$

Fantastic Four vol.1 nº60-200 (same as above) - 1000$

Daredevil nº100-300 (same as above) - 800$

Batman nº240-500 (same as above) - 1700$

What do you think of the prices? For someone interested on buying for building a personal coll. or just to re-sell individually in the future...are any of those good deals?

There are also a few DF/VARIANT...comics on the more recent runs.

Thanks for the help, regards, Pedro.

ps- there's one great point on buying from him, is that i can pick them right up, inspect the comics and saving a lot of shipping costs.

If you're ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN of the NM grades for the Keys, then nab them all. At those prices, it's not even a question. If they look more like VF, VF/NM or even NM-, then it chops a huge amount off the resale value in the current speculator market.

Even so, the prices on the Avengers, FF, ASM and X-Men might be too good to pass up.

Just remember that there are some bozos out there looking to scam (home resto, missing pages, clipped coupons/MVS) in the same way sellers are looking to rip them off.

Joe

Thanks for the reply.

What would it be the best 3 buying lots for you?

I just called the fella and he said he could sell me all the above coll. for 8500$, that's a lot of $ in one big buying, but looking at the ebay market prices and the apparent grade, i think it might be a very good deal.

I inspect overral the colls. (specially the key issues) and indeed they look very nice. He always told me they were all NM, but looking them better they might be more to the VF/NM and a big lot NM-/NM at least.

QP on the older ones is OW, being a big chunk of them ex: avengers W/OW (i saw nº20, 57 and 58 and it looks like they were printed yesterday).

Even so i presume it's a nice deal...

I'll pass over his house soon to have one big long look at the comics colls. and he told me he has a few other boxes around the house (he remembers seeing Strange Tales and Journey into Mystery titles around there)!!!!!

I must try to calm down now,lol...head spinning and my wallet feverish already.

Regards, Pedro.

ps- i made the total amount of current price value of the comics lots below and i end up near the 15.000$...am i doing the maths right,lol?!

Best 3: FF, Avengers and flip a coin with ASM and X-Men.

As for the others, don't get too excited and always look at the negative side as well. You really can't lose with the above lots, so don't lay down too much money if you're thinking too big...

FF

thanks for the reply.

i'm living in paris-france at this moment.

if i buy them i'll sell you those i already have...because a big chunck of what i might buy will be to stay in my private coll. of course or maybe i'll try to send them to CGC, i don't know...too early think about all this, right now i must let a few days go by and try not to dream a lot from what i've seen.

To everyone

A few days ago i visited a sellers house to see the different comics coll. he had gathered during more than 20 years of collecting.

This fella isn't interested on selling small lots, mostly to send complete/almost complete runs.

Some colls. he has for sale are for ex:

What do you think of the prices? For someone interested on buying for building a personal coll. or just to re-sell individually in the future...are any of those good deals?

There are also a few DF/VARIANT...comics on the more recent runs.

Thanks for the help, regards, Pedro.

ps- there's one great point on buying from him, is that i can pick them right up, inspect the comics and saving a lot of shipping costs.

Sounds like a really good deal on all those books Pedro...but remember to factor in CGC costs on those books you'd want to have graded..

Not that I'm doubting your FIND, but if he was only collecting for 20 years, he must have bought many of these books second hand. A lot of the books you listed are 30-35 years old (especially the FF and Avengers) so you really need to check the grading of these books.

Plus, are these all American versions of the books (since you said you were in Paris)?

You've got to be careful laying that kind of cash out and examining whether the books are really NM... as JC said, if they are truly all NM you'll be able to flip them all... but to be quite honest, it's an extremely rare find for somebody to have all NM comics and then be willing to let them go that cheaply (relatively)... but if they are NM then you should jump on it.

Be careful... with that kind of cash, you should be confident of their grade, at least on the vast majority of them... how were they cared for and stored that they maintained such fine preservation... how many have you personally looked at?

thanks everyone for the input. I'm going still this week at the fellas house with a friend to take one long deep look at those bulks. I'll tell you later what i discovered...

How much are they worth, each one of the above lot in VF/NM range?

regards, Pedro.

Things didn't turn as good as i was dreaming.

I went to visit the fellas house 2 times (after the first overral look from the 1st encounter).

The second time i was there i did a big research on the coll. (grades/missing issues,etc...) and the above runs were about 90% complete, including the nice keys...the older silver/bronze age are off white (one or another cream) and very well preserved being at least 80% VF/NM and the rest slightly better or slightly worse.

But one thing that startled me in this second encounter was that the seller told me almost on the begining that the amounts were an initial idea he had, that he didn't really had thought about it in a long way... 893frustrated.gif

I also noticed one important item in the living room...an onverstreet guide (from this year, 27_laughing.gif).

Initially he had told me that for the baove runs he would ask 8.000$ (if paied in one full time)...now with the speech of "initial idea for the prices" + "...there's also a person froma comicstore outside Paris where the comics are very rare..." came also...i knew something bad was coming.

In the third encounter to try to have a deal (discuss prices and probably buy something) there was a person (presumably from the mentioned store)...he offered 12.000$ for everything.

After some long minutes (maybe one hour) of discussion The seller ended up to agree to sell 2 runs to me and my friend: FF and Avengers for 3000$ (more 500$ than in the begining).

I was mainly interested on the FF and a few avengers, my friend was drooling over the ASM and wanted also either the x-men or batman lot.

The ASM and X-men were simply out of the way from the begining, the other buyer told right away if he won't had those he won't buy anything at all...

The other fella took the rest, paied 9.000$ and took other small runs but very nice ones...but it was interesting to see the possible profit this fella is going to do, since around here the market is very strong specially on the smaller cities where there isn't much "real activity" going on (outside ebay, 27_laughing.gif). The seller told me "...don't worry i'll get my money back in no time..." smilling... tongue.gif

But i think it was some heavy price in the end for the other fella...what do you think?

Well it wasn't fabulous but the day was saved...regards, Pedro.