• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #5 CGC 9.6 on ebay...

16 posts in this topic

This auction may actually be legitmate for a change, but who knows. The seller has decent feedback and requires bidders to write him before bidding. I didn't know ebay had this feature and I'll have to use in the future as well. Anyway, sweet book and only a 3 day auction...I'll be curious to see how it turns out.

There are enough red flags that will keep plenty of people away.

The auction description is very similar, if not copied, from the recent ASM #5 9.4 NM that sold on ebay. The description of white pages, 9.6, is clearly not what is indicated on the scan. The scan, albeit small and tough to read, appears to state off-white to white pages. I'm willing to bet that the scan is 'borrowed' from Heritage's #5 currently up for auction in 9.6 NM+. It's the Mass pedigreed copy, but this was unintentionally ommitted from the label upon reslabbing (cgc invoice numbers unchanged for those that are curious, check past auctions).

Sure, the seller could be legit and merely 'borrowing' both an auction description and picture scan. Would you do that with a twenty thousand dollar comic?

I decided to have a little fun with this auction so I contacted the seller. He sent me scans of the front and back which I was able to trace back to the Heritage scans. I decided to tell the seller I was interested but wanted to exchange cash for the book. Well now the seller is located in Amsterdam and can't do that. So he suggested Western Union since its "safe" (he has to be kidding). I told him since he is in another country I would do the ebay escrow option to which he replied with 10 different reasons why its no good for him BUT came up with another idea with Western Union. So bottom line is its another B.S. artist trying to take someone's money. Oh when I replied to him again saying no to W.U. he hasn't replied back. Funny, I don't recall calling him any names?

makepoint.gif

I seriously doubt anyone will buy this book. His last feedback is a negative and says the person never recieved the item.

Usually I would use a fake ID and win the book, but if someone falls for this, they really do need to be taught a lesson. The tough ones are when someone has lots of positive feedback and sells a bunch of nice, but not overly nice books. They are a little harder to determine that it's a scam.

This auction may actually be legitmate for a change, but who knows. The seller has decent feedback and requires bidders to write him before bidding. I didn't know ebay had this feature and I'll have to use in the future as well. Anyway, sweet book and only a 3 day auction...I'll be curious to see how it turns out.

This is my favourite line from that auction.....

Please ask for the buy now price!!

10_1_111.gif

Wow, you guys are good...you picked that auction apart pretty quickly. Well, I may write the winning bidder through ebay and refer them to this thread. That way they can make up their own mind before sending any $$$. I sure wouldn't touch this auction with a 10 foot pole though.