• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My ASM purchase from Metro.....

383 posts in this topic

Well I'm sure they at least gave you a good discount :)

Seriously it is pretty bad situation...there was no way it would have ever been a 9.2 with that crease at the bottom of Spideys elbow. Can you not return the book for a refund...they are a fairly large operation that is looking for repeat customers...aren't they?

Jim

not hardly...all they said was Sorry...no offers of a future discount....no partial refund....I even brought it by the CGC booth at SDCC and they said it should grade out at least a 9.0. Graders notes said the small overhang crease brought it down to that!

Well this just adds more creedence to the theory that CGC has been grading insanely strict as of late.

Presuming there is no hidden flaws and the only substantive issue is the small crescent crease at the bottom, there is not a seller alive that would grade this lower than a 9.0. Not one.

And why not buy from the boards or else where?

Like any of use, we are all looking to buy that raw book that comes back as advertised or better. But I always go with how I felt when I got the book in hand. If you felt it was a NM- (or at least worth $2400 as received) then you should be disappointed with CGC and not Metro.

Still Metro should take your complaint seriously as reputation is all important. From a legal POV they are on steady ground IMO. But from a reputational POV they have a brand where they can offer up high dollar high grade books for slightly less than FMV CGC type books. (GPA shows FMV at $2300-$2800). If those books are coming back 3 grades below advertised, that presents a problem. If they don't recover this in some sense, I'd say it hits them a bit. They don't have to do it mind you, but they should.

I would rarely, if ever buy (or offer up for sale) a high dollar raw book for 95% of CGC, it doesn't seem worth it and too many risks and headaches from restoration to bad grading and on down.

Link

Seriously it is pretty bad situation...there was no way it would have ever been a 9.2 with that crease at the bottom of Spideys elbow. Can you not return the book for a refund...they are a fairly large operation that is looking for repeat customers...aren't they?

Jim

not hardly...all they said was Sorry...no offers of a future discount....no partial refund....I even brought it by the CGC booth at SDCC and they said it should grade out at least a 9.0. Graders notes said the small overhang crease brought it down to that!

Well this just adds more creedence to the theory that CGC has been grading insanely strict as of late.

Presuming there is no hidden flaws and the only substantive issue is the small crescent crease at the bottom, there is not a seller alive that would grade this lower than a 9.0. Not one.

I have to agree....no other interior flaws.

If those books are coming back 3 grades below advertised, that presents a problem. If they don't recover this in some sense, I'd say it hits them a bit. They don't have to do it mind you, but they should.

But is it really Metro, or has CGC abruptly and drastically changed grading standards as some respected dealers and collectors have theorized?

Jim

Just to be clear, is this what CGC said when you called on the notes? Or is it your opinion that there was no interior defects?

Not trying to say you(or Metro) cant grade, just more curious if CGC downgraded for something you and or Metro did not.

Not that we can really tell for sure, but a BC scan would at least let us see what you are looking at.

I can't see the book but I'm assuming it's the ASM #9 that you were desperately looking for a few weeks ago?

If that's the case, and most people feel it should be a 9.0 at least then the book was in the correct price range as a 9.0 will run you about $2000-2200.

(shrug)

Jim

C'mon Steve. I'll be the first to admit that CGC has been tighter lately but there is no way a crescent crease that size that breaks color would ever grade out at a 9.0 let alone a 9.2.

Jim

Just to be clear, is this what CGC said when you called on the notes? Or is it your opinion that there was no interior defects?

Not trying to say you(or Metro) cant grade, just more curious if CGC downgraded for something you and or Metro did not.

Not that we can really tell for sure, but a BC scan would at least let us see what you are looking at.

Those were the graders notes :(

C'mon Steve. I'll be the first to admit that CGC has been tighter lately but there is no way a crescent crease that size that breaks color would ever grade out at a 9.0 let alone a 9.2.

I've seen overhang creases no different than this on 9.0s (usually they are on the top.) (I also sense the size of the scan makes it look worse than it actually is in-hand.)

(shrug)

And if you look at your garden variety 8.0 with multiple spine stresses, small corner creases, etc... there is no comparison to this book.

(shrug) (shrug)

OK, in all fairness here is the scan lightened up a bit.

Since CGC is not noting visible defect in the grader notes here is what I see, on the FC anyways.

spiderman9sm.jpg

Top edge wear with chips missing(possible crease upper edge)

Rounded URC

Abraded ULC

Minor spine creasing

1 inch bottom edge crescent crease that breaks color

So all in all I would say 8.0 is harsh, but not totally out of order given the multiple minor defects added to the crecent crease.

I know this does not lessen your pain, but just wanted to offer what I am looking at. I am sure Metro will see this thread(they always do) and hopefully make things right with you in some fashion.

What a load of carp !!! While metro once again proved great grading abilities, the book is better then an 8.0 ! So CGC beat the book half to death because ANYONE can see the book is 9.0 judging by the scan, 8.5 WORST case scenario. But for metro to say the book is a 9.2 and sell it for that much money??? That is just BS, the book is 9.0 at best.

Once again glad to see comic dealers standing behind their product. I would be far beyond pizzed.

GPA ASM #9

12 month average 9.2 $2,700.00

12 month average 8.0 $1,063.00

That is one SERIOUS beating.

well, that just goes to prove that when you are dealing with a book that multiplies in value with every grade increment, you are rolling the dice with a raw purchase.

If it came back CGC 9.4, would Metro have been right to call the buyer, demanding more money?

I wonder if this is the case that I have been hearing on the boards of someone buying a slabbed copy, not agreeing with the grade given and grading what they think it is hm