• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My ASM purchase from Metro.....

383 posts in this topic

Comicgrinder- I realize Steve already PMed you and offered you a partial credit. I would, however like to answer your initial question about whether or not I would be upset- Yes, I would be upset... with CGC and yourself. You asked a bunch of people their opinions months ago and one of CGC's graders at the SDCC before you got it graded, many of them disagreed... and you still bought the book.

My company has a very clear return policy. 10 days is more than enough time to decide if you like a book or not. If a book is restored we offer a refund within 30 days, after that, a full credit. We state we don't guarantee anybody else would grade our books the same way. And no we do not refund CGC grading fees or shipping.

I am very easy to get in touch with, when you call a company and an employee doesn't give you the answer you want, you should ask for the manager or owner. I always welcome customer calls and am willing to discuss anything. I don't always agree but I am always willing to talk.

Having said that, I believe you should only buy CGC graded books from whomever you choose to deal with. But please, when you buy CGC books, look at the books and make sure you actually like the book, not just the label.

Be well,

Vincent

I want to make clear also that I favor the the return policy of people like Richard Evans. That is, sometimes it's easier and better for long term relationships to just allow a return. I would not expect to be refunded the CGC fees though.

That's an excellent post, Mike.

Plus, to say, "Well, gee, I guess CGC is grading stricter after all" is a little simplistic.

By the way, where are the folks that were crying bloody murder over customer service when they thought they were going to lose the CGC grader's notes?

I want to make clear also that I favor the the return policy of people like Richard Evans. That is, sometimes it's easier and better for long term relationships to just allow a return. I would not expect to be refunded the CGC fees though.

That's an excellent post, Mike.

Plus, to say, "Well, gee, I guess CGC is grading stricter after all" is a little simplistic.

By the way, where are the folks that were crying bloody murder over customer service when they thought they were going to lose the CGC grader's notes?

:hi:

agreed, on a book like this with all the little dinkums on it the time to return it was right away during the return period. if you thought it could/hoped it would garner a 9.0 and were still cool with paying that big price for a 9.0 sold as a 9.2, then I guess all bets are off. if someone at the CGC booth led you astray....

putting aside a case of undisclosed restoration, of course, which we don't have here.

but vincent, a 9.2 on that book is kindah pushing the outer limits, no? it's not a $20 or even $50 or even $100 book subjected to a quick grading once over. that was a $2000+++ book, not even a pocket change sort of book for you guys at metro. that's a staff dinner at the Palm or Dylan Prime! store credit is appropriate. how much is another story.

That bottom crease hurts any chance above a 8.5-9.0.

Exactly...Metro must've missed the crease when they graded this book as there's no way they could honestly assign a book like this a grade of NM- with a 1" color breaking crease. Or is there? hm

Speaking of current CGC standards:

I had sent in a early Disney book to CGC. The book came back today at 8.0 which seemed insane. In fact the 1st grader gave the book a 9.2. The final 2 graders dropped the grade to 8.0 because a puzzle page was filled in (pencil). How does a CGC 9.2 become a CGC 8.0 because of a filled in puzzle page.? I need an answer to this.

S

Really guys (and thanks to you nubnutts who still haven't told me which book it is), I have my beef with Metro too but there is no real beef here. They advertised a book, someone bought it and then got upset because a 3rd opinion (likely several weeks after) didn't agree with the first two parties. It's that simple. If you had voiced your dis-agreement with the grade upon recieving the book it would have been a completely different game but in this case that's not what happened from what I gather.

Like I said, Metro has issues but this is not one of them IMO.

:foryou:

R.

Roy,

Its a asm 9 :foryou:

I had sent in a early Disney book to CGC. The book came back today at 8.0 which seemed insane. In fact the 1st grader gave the book a 9.2. The final 2 graders dropped the grade to 8.0 because a puzzle page was filled in (pencil). How does a CGC 9.2 become a CGC 8.0 because of a filled in puzzle page.? I need an answer to this.

S

Anti-Dell/Disney bias. It's clear that CGC is full of satanists. PM me the book and maybe I'll take the offending thing. I have an eraser ready to go. :baiting:

S

Buy the book, not the label. (shrug)

S

I would have erased it but that sounds a little goofy (no pun intended).

S

Anti-Dell/Disney bias. It's clear that CGC is full of satanists. PM me the book and maybe I'll take the offending thing. I have an eraser ready to go. :baiting:

That's exactly what I thought. A 5¢ eraser and the book is a 9.2

Just silly.

S

S

was it a maze or a connect the dots? maze gets downgraded 1 full grade, connect the dots 2.

A few things, in no particular order of importance...

(1) The book is an 8.0. Even an 8.5 would be a stretch. The length of those colour-breaking creases bring it down, but there is minor wear to add to them all around the perimeter. I don't care what 'return policy' is in place, the ball was well and truly dropped by Metro. I personally would be embarrassed to have called this a 9.2 and would pay hush money to make the issue go away.

(2) Sorry to say it, but if you're going to drop large sums of money on raw books, you need to be able to grade better than this. If it was me, this would have been straight back to Metro as soon as it landed as it is clearly nowhere near the given grade. With the sort of money that was paid, it simply had to grade out as claimed, and there's no way in the world that you could have thought it would, so it needed to go straight back.

(3) Regardless of faults on both sides, the grade difference is beyond the 'wiggle room' I was talking about in my post last week. Metro...grow a pair, give a full refund, and stop hiding behind the mythical 'CGC is grading tougher these days' nonsense. (tsk)

Two points. First, while I feel for you, Grinder, for overpaying for a slabbed 8.0, I am also sympathetic to Metro's position - when you buy a raw book from a dealer with a return policy, you've got all the time you need to decide once you have the book in hand whether you are willing to pay the price you did for the book you got. The buyer MUST take some responsibility in these transactions, as well as the seller.

Second point. There's a fallacy, I believe, in trying to draw conclusions about the grade of this book based on the scan. You absolutely, positively have to see the book in person to derive the grade that you believe a book to be. In this case with the numerical grade being the issue, I think it is futile and somewhat wreckless speculation.

Case in point: below is a scan taken before encapsulation of a book with a 2 inch bend on the bottom edge. In actuality, you can't tell from the scan whether the bend breaks paper and color or not (because paper bends cause reflections upon scanning that change the apparent color of the cover at the edge of the bend). In this case, it doesn't break paper, and the book was graded 9.4 by CGC:

FF54front.jpg

S

It's defacement. If the pencil marks were all over the cover, would you still have called it a 9.2? (shrug)

Oh, wait a minute... doh!

S

That's exactly what I thought. A 5¢ eraser and the book is a 9.2

Just silly.

S

Careful your going to start "has it been erased" disclosure movement. :grin: If the puzzle was completed incorrectly would that drop the grade even further?

I personally would be embarrassed to have called this a 9.2 and would pay hush money to make the issue go away.

I hope you never go away. :roflmao:

lol

Sorry to hear about the over-graded book. :sorry: