• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this CGC-worthy?

210 posts in this topic

Am I crazy, or is it very slightly miscut on the top? CGC can be very forgiving regarding back cover smudginess, but I don't know about miscuts.

I'm planning on slabbing several of my nicer SA books. If that one belonged to me, I'd do it.

Am I crazy, or is it very slightly miscut on the top? CGC can be very forgiving regarding back cover smudginess, but I don't know about miscuts.

I'm planning on slabbing several of my nicer SA books. If that one belonged to me, I'd do it.

I might've scanned it a little crooked. Or it might be slightly miscut, I don't know. In person it doesn't look like it, but I tend not to notice that very much. (I'm a low to mid-grade buyer, so I'm easily fooled by "gosh it looks purty". Hence, my reason for asking you guys).

A few thoughts:

- it does look very slightly mis-cut at the top to me as well, but this could be an optical illusion of sorts?

- is that a drop of paint at the tip of bird-boy's right wing?

- I would take a wad of Wonder Bread to the back cover, despite the fact that CGC seems to not deduct much for back cover smudging/soiling...

Assuming the above 'issues' are moot (using the currently-in-vogue "undefinition" of 'moot' and not the original definition), I would say this is worth slabbing, especially given that there are only 2 - 4 copies in the census that are better than yours (depending on where yours falls on the spectrum)...

In my opinion, it is CGC-worthy. I would expect it to get at least a VF/NM anyway. A total of 6 in the registry. It is 1964 DC. Very pretty. Can you scan larger if possible?

I've got a 150 dpi scan but my website is basically full. I tried doing an attachment and had to take the quality down so far it was useless. I can email it to you, but I can't host it at this time.

Joanna...I really abhore sounding like a hater but upon viewing the larger scans I see a couple of things wrong with the book....

[*]There is a mark, stain or whatever on the tip of Bird-Boys wing.

[*]There is an "S" near the vulture dudes head.

[*]A pretty good ding on the LLC.

[*]Creases on the URC and the LRC.

[*]Stains eminating from Mer-Boys armpit.

I love the book but would grade it at 7.5 .... crazy.gif

Joanna...I really abhore sounding like a hater but upon viewing the larger scans I see a couple of things wrong with the book....

Hater!!!

BTW...you don't seem to be that picky when grading YOUR books! mad.gif

7.5? It is grading paranoia!!!!! The LLC "pretty good ding" is hardly that. I've seen scanner defects to worse to the corners. The "S" appears to be along the lines of a distributer or retailer mark and as such should have no bearing. The stains? I see a bit od discoloration but seems quite minimal. The URC/LRC? I have a 9.2 with worse.