• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it time for CGC board marketplace sales to be reported to GPA?

230 posts in this topic

The boards have always been a good place to buy and sell comics. We self-regulate, treat each other the way sellers and buyers should treat each other, and for the most part, transactions are more hassle-free here than anywhere else. In such an environment, it's natural that sales should increase, and more and more high ticket items will be offered. We've seen this over the last few years. I first noticed it when Ciorac sold off his Detectives a few years ago. If I remember correctly, board members forked over 20K+ over a 24-hour period.

In the last few days alone, RyanH has sold his Marvel Mystery #9 for $6500, and Detective27Kid has sold a Captain America #46 for $6700. Sales like this are now commonplace here, and some may be the highest price ever paid.

I don't know how the logistics would work, but it benefits all of us if GPA reflects as many sales as possible. Is it time for marketplace sales to be reported to GPA? hm

it would he hard to keep track of but I agree that more data for GPA is better than less. The problem I see though is that there's no real verification for sales. I could say I sold a book for XX amount of dollars and then turn around and drop it into a Heritage auction.

As long as they are confirmed sales yes. I wonder where cash/book trades would come in though.

I wonder how dealers that already report to GPA handle those situations.

I know that based on a cash/trade deal that a member did with Pedigree that Doug treats the book that got traded away as a sales pending on his site and therefore reported as a cash sale on GPA :gossip:

it would he hard to keep track of but I agree that more data for GPA is better than less. The problem I see though is that there's no real verification for sales. I could say I sold a book for XX amount of dollars and then turn around and drop it into a Heritage auction.

But where's the verification from anywhere else? Even on Heritage or eBay, how do we know the buyer ever sent payment and completed the transaction?

Jeff, I've been dealng with George about several things and this was going to be my next proposed idea. I have made so many terrific sales and buys here that it's a shame they are not reported.

Great minds think alike!

R.

As long as they are confirmed sales yes. I wonder where cash/book trades would come in though.

I wonder how dealers that already report to GPA handle those situations.

I know that based on a cash/trade deal that a member did with Pedigree that Doug treats the book that got traded away as a sales pending on his site and therefore reported as a cash sale on GPA :gossip:
Ooops...my bad. I did recall seeing that book as a pending sale on his site but it's not showing on GPA. :flamed:

Alot of sellers offer books below GPA prices sometimes right? Or am I getting that confused with OSPG? in any case, it seems that if GPA uses sales from the market place, and sellers in the marketplace offer items below GPA prices, wouldn't we get into a slippery slope where prices keep on getting lower and lower?

Jeff, I've been dealng with George about several things and this was going to be my next proposed idea. I have made so many terrific sales and buys here that it's a shame they are not reported.

Great minds think alike!

R.

Very cool. (thumbs u

Now that I think about it, verification could be easier here than on other selling venues. Maybe a thread could be devoted to buyers verifying that they received a book they purchased on the boards, and that the transaction is completed. That would delay the info getting to GPA for a week or so, but the data would be accurate. Sales on eBay appear within 24 hours of completion, but who knows if payment was sent or if the buyer kept the book or returned it.

Great minds think alike!

R.

Very cool. (thumbs u

Now that I think about it, verification could be easier here than on other selling venues. Maybe a thread could be devoted to buyers verifying that they received a book they purchased on the boards, and that the transaction is completed. That would delay the info getting to GPA for a week or so, but the data would be accurate. Sales on eBay appear within 24 hours of completion, but who knows if payment was sent or if the buyer kept the book or returned it.

A stickied thread is a fantastic idea.

:headbang:

The problem is that you don't want every T, D and Harry posting fictional sales so again, some sort of guidline would be good for approval...post count, Ebay feedback, references...pre approval of trusted people before submitting anything to GPA.

Something along those lines.

R.

Alot of sellers offer books below GPA prices sometimes right? Or am I getting that confused with OSPG? in any case, it seems that if GPA uses sales from the market place, and sellers in the marketplace offer items below GPA prices, wouldn't we get into a slippery slope where prices keep on getting lower and lower?

Books sell for below GPA on eBay everyday. I can't imagine we'd negatively impact GPA to much of a degree. Anyway, if a book is consistently selling for less than GPA, those sales should be reported to correct or balance GPA's sales history of that book.

Great minds think alike!

R.

Very cool. (thumbs u

A stickied thread is a fantastic idea.

:headbang:

The problem is that you don't want every T, D and Harry posting fictional sales so again, some sort of guidline would be good for approval...post count, Ebay feedback, references...pre approval of trusted people before submitting anything to GPA.

Something along those lines.

R.

Yep, guidelines would be important and not difficult to implement.

Lord no... doh!

There's far too much room for people to fraudulently "flip" comics to each other just to drive up the GPA price. Unless of course you want to corrupt the GPA database.

GPA doesn't need to capture all sales to report on what's happening in the marketplace. I think their reporting group is good for now. It's large enough to capture the market but small enough to maintain the accuracy...

Jim

Jim and Jim. Are you guys nuts?

There are likely dozens or 100's of people that bid each other's stuff up every day out there.

You can't police everything. I can tell you that this market is more reliable than 90% of what's out there right now.

If you have people that pass some sort of "approval" I would trust them more than shill bid auctions and the like.

Not only that, you would be able to follow every transaction in the "proposed thread" abnd decide for yourself whether it is credible or not.

I think it's a great idea considering this place has likely moved over 1/4 $MIL in books in just the past 6 months.

Think about it.