• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it time for CGC board marketplace sales to be reported to GPA?

230 posts in this topic

Real easy answer...trader verification. George runs those who wish to apply through some sort of check process, any deals involving two verified traders get reported. (thumbs u

A side benefit would be having 'trusted seller' status in the Marketplace. Everyone's a winner. :banana:

:applause:

I will talk to George about this and see what he has to say.

I'm Mc'luvin it!

(thumbs u

Real easy answer...trader verification. George runs those who wish to apply through some sort of check process, any deals involving two verified traders get reported. (thumbs u

What check process can George run on someone that gives any indication they won't fake sales? I've researched consignment business models before, and I've been unable to find anything offered from any company to establish anything about individuals. I think there's just not enough money in it for companies like Equifax or Verisign to do it for individuals.

Why would sales data from the boards be anymore susceptible to market manipulation than data from dealers? Where's their verification?

Professional dealers put their livelihood at stake if they scam. Amateur sellers have little or nothing to lose. This isn't any different in comics than any other market...the reason to choose professionals for services is that their lives are usually tied to their business, whereas an amateur can fold up shop and disappear at any time.

Why would sales data from the boards be anymore susceptible to market manipulation than data from dealers? Where's their verification?

Professional dealers put their livelihood at stake if they scam. Amateur sellers have little or nothing to lose. This isn't any different in comics than any other market...the reason to choose professionals for services is that their lives are usually tied to their business, whereas an amateur can fold up shop and disappear at any time.

Lighthouse anyone?

What check process can George run on someone that gives any indication they won't fake sales? I've researched consignment business models before, and I've been unable to find anything offered from any company to establish anything about individuals. I think there's just not enough money in it for companies like Equifax or Verisign to do it for individuals.

To the naysayers...what checks can anyone put in place to give an indication of fake sales?

None. There still is some good will out there.

I know personally of several "prominant" board members who have faked large scales...but they are a very small %. The majority are likely not fraudulant.

Nothing is 100% expect truth and death, and you can't make money on those.

I'll take GPA data from this place almost any day of the week (with pre approved, reputable board members providing the data) over any other source.

R.

Lighthouse anyone?

He's an interesting example. He knew he could get away with falling through here because his store's customers were local and that 99.5% of them likely never even looked at this place. Failing to ship to people here didn't hurt his business, so for whatever reason, he chose to drop his presence on these boards and let some deals fall through.

Is he gone for good now, or does he sometimes still post under Lighthouse?

Lighthouse anyone?

He's an interesting example. He knew he could get away with falling through here because his store's customers were local and that 99.5% of them likely never even looked at this place. Failing to ship to people here didn't hurt his business, so for whatever reason, he chose to drop his presence on these boards and let some deals fall through.

Is he gone for good now, or does he sometimes still post under Lighthouse?

Once in a blue moon. After the last hoorah, I thought he was living out of his car or something.

He still checked in once in a while.

And to be fair, he did make right with everyone eventually though it did take a legal push, right?

I don't know the whole story but I do know Foolkiller was involved.

R.

To the naysayers...what checks can anyone put in place to give an indication of fake sales?

I know personally of several "prominant" board members who have faked large scales...but they are a very small %. The majority are likely not fraudulant.

Maybe...but what's being proposed would make manipulating GPA much easier. I'd be shocked if George even considered the proposal of incorporating sales from this or any message board.

What makes GPA valuable is the integrity of their data. Is it 100% foolproof? No. But it would undoubtably be compromised more so if message board sales were added...

Jim

Jim I don't know how many CGC sales Ebay, Comiclink, Heritage and all the other sites etc do in a week, but I'm betting it's 10's of 1000's.

Now compare how many CGC sales happen here on the boards in a month.

100? 1000?

Now compare how transparent a sale is on another site. 99% of the people are either anonymous or unkown.

Now compare how transparent a sale is here. Most people know each other, police each other and pounce each other if someone crosses a moral line. Not only that you have people dealing here who refuse to buy or sell anywhere else.

I still say this place beats them all in terms of trust, accuracy and honesty.

If anything GPA would become better with Forum sales being used, not worse.

2c

This place is more than a message board...it's a community in the truest sense. We go out of our ways to meet each other.

this isn't MSN.

R.

This place is more than a message board...it's a community in the truest sense. We go out of our ways to meet each other.

this isn't MSN.

It's a message board...less than 5% of all posters have met each other here. And just because you've sat down to dinner with someone for a couple hours doesn't tell you anything about a person's life, motivation, or their reaction when there's a buck to be made...

Please let's not inflate the importance of this message board any more than it is now...

Jim

Jim I don't know how many CGC sales Ebay, Comiclink, Heritage and all the other sites etc do in a week, but I'm betting it's 10's of 1000's.

100? 1000?

Which would make the additional work, and potential manipulation of the database, not worth it...

Jim

100? 1000?

Which would make the additional work, and potential manipulation of the database, not worth it...

Jim

I'd put money that the percentage of corrupt sales would be less on here than anywhere else.

this isn't MSN.

It's a message board...less than 5% of all posters have met each other here. And just because you've sat down to dinner with someone for a couple hours doesn't tell you anything about a person's life, motivation, or their reaction when there's a buck to be made...

Please let's not inflate the importance of this message board any more than it is now...

Jim

Sure, there's a bazillion members here but only a small percentage actually buy and sell.

Jim, this is the not military with maximum security everywhere.

Most businesses are still built on handshakes, trust, benefit of the doubt and all that...and the level of security that you are looking to incorporate into reporting comic sales data is on par with that of working in a high security business.

Let's face it. That will never happen anywhere at any time.

I think you're a bit unrealistic with your expectations regarding reported sales data and their fraud preventions.

To me it sounds like you'd rather not do anything to keep it clean than take a change and do something. Well, doing nothing helps nobody.

:foryou: